R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   can you make money driving rc cars as a career?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/292381-can-you-make-money-driving-rc-cars-career.html)

dreaux 04-24-2009 04:16 PM

can you make money driving rc cars as a career??

Or how much does a profesional rc driver make on average??? I know this matters big time because some do better then others. But can you make money doing this???

bgbelden 04-24-2009 04:28 PM

Well there's many factors involved, do you enjoy it, are you good at it, can you race and practice most of the week,can you travel to every race,can you afford the right equiptment to win with? That and many other questions.
I've heard rumors that the big dogs make from hundreds of thousands to over a million but how many are there like that ?
Some races that have purses are nice but even if you win 500 that barely covers travel expenses.
Better to just have fun and if you have that extra good skill worry about the rest later.

Joey Platinum 04-24-2009 04:32 PM

I am currently paying "Grouchy" a kings ransom to drive for Team Fleetwood, we will be having a Talent Rally later this year looking for A replacement for "Grouchy" as he is going to be involved in a Spike Original called When r/c cars go out of control.LOL

Jaz240 04-24-2009 04:34 PM

I would think there are only maybe 20 people in the world right now who can actually make a living driving Rc cars..If you ever get good enough to beat them..you can also make a career out of it..However, you can get a full, or partial sponsorship just by being seen, friendly, and fast, plus know the right people and win some big races. That right there can be worth as much as $25,000 a year depending on how much stuff you buy, or use

dreaux 04-24-2009 04:35 PM

just one of the curious questions that go through my head. Oh and if i am going to run with the "big dogs" i have to get a kyosho inferno since they have won the last 6 or 7 world championships. cant win if i dont have one of those!

;)

Jaz240 04-24-2009 04:39 PM

As long as you believe that you will never win;)

rallyebmx 04-24-2009 04:49 PM

I won $45 last weekend before expenses. *baller*

bcrazy 04-24-2009 05:29 PM

If you are very good, like any type of racing I'm sure it takes a ton of time and money to get noticed. I heard that one of the new up and coming kids on the scene practices 6hr a day. He and his family also travel all over the US and Canada to race. This I'm sure for a long time was on his family's dime. You must be committed 100% to get noticed and once you do, you must be committed 110%. Many of the top paid racers travel all over the country and world weekly and are expected to do well against the best in the world. To me this would be stressful on me and my family. I don't have to worry though because I'm not talented enough:)

dreaux 04-24-2009 05:33 PM

me either. Btw, i have a mugen:D

houston 04-24-2009 06:18 PM

:lol::lol::lol: sorry

sonyb 04-24-2009 06:27 PM

Well

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 5728353)
Or how much does a profesional rc driver make on average??? I know this matters big time because some do better then others. But can you make money doing this???

In my opinion...you spend more money driving RC before you make money out of it....But you can make money also if you rcv repair..from newbies or buy and sell stuff....

scwrod 04-24-2009 07:42 PM

I think that making money is the wrong approach. Yes, it is possible but just race and all the cream will rise to the top:)

mracer 04-24-2009 08:52 PM

I am of the mindset that it is even cheaper not to be sponsored at all. I bet the sponsored guys spend a lot of their own money traveling and racing. They have to make a lot of the "major" events and I bet by the time all is said and done they spend way more on the hobby than I do. I have no sponsorship whatsoever and buy 100% of my equipment. I go to the races I want to and that is it. Of course there are a handful that travel 100% on someone elses dime, but I just don't see me spending that much time with these things....

marccaracer 04-25-2009 02:47 AM

I only spent two grand on racing last year and have three lovely bowling trophies to show for it.

Dream big but be realistic.

The Working Man 04-25-2009 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum (Post 5728394)
I am currently paying "Grouchy" a kings ransom to drive for Team Fleetwood, we will be having a Talent Rally later this year looking for A replacement for "Grouchy" as he is going to be involved in a Spike Original called When r/c cars go out of control.LOL

How is the old fart doing? He can still marshel?