Wiki Posts
Search

proper gear mesh on clutch/center diff

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default proper gear mesh on clutch/center diff

I am pretty sure i have the right gap in my gear mesh, but want to make sure. How do you know when you have the right mesh?? I know when it is to tight it has a binding sound and almost gets jamed when it is to lose. It is the gray area i am concerned about. there is a big zone that is operable to the naked eye and feel of the hand. So is there any rule to follow to ensure that i dont burn up my clutch or diff???

thanx
Old 04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

There's no hard and fast rule, you just want to adjust it so there's a tiny bit of play between the cb and spur. Some time ago we found that Losi's liked a little looser mesh, it helped prevent teeth being broken off the cb (the losi flexed and has unique cb's). You can use a zip lock bag between the gear teeth to help set the mesh but you'll get a feel for it, ask guys at the track what they thing of your setting too.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Take a strip of newspaper and stick it between the 2 gears. Roll it back and forth a bit to get worked in. Then tight the engine and check it. You want as little play as possible with it binding anywhere. Spur gears and bell are NOT perfectly round so be sure to roll it all the way around to be sure it doesn't bind anywhere. This will cause heat and premature bearing failure.