Community
Wiki Posts
Search

should i trade my mbx5 prospec for a losi 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default should i trade my mbx5 prospec for a losi 8ight

a guy wanted to trade me my mbx5 prosec for a losi 8ight. what should i do?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Nobody can answer that for you. The 8ight is a better handling car than the Moogen. But it wears faster and isn't as tough. There are a few things on the 8ight that should be upgraded (outer hing pins for example). Is that done already? You have to be very precise about how you set the throttle linkage on the 8ight, or you can upgrade to the 2.0 radio tray. How many spare parts do you have for the Mugen? Are you getting a comparable number of spares in return? That's the kind of questions I'd be asking myself.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Nobody can answer that for you. The 8ight is a better handling car than the Moogen. But it wears faster and isn't as tough. There are a few things on the 8ight that should be upgraded (outer hing pins for example). Is that done already? You have to be very precise about how you set the throttle linkage on the 8ight, or you can upgrade to the 2.0 radio tray. How many spare parts do you have for the Mugen? Are you getting a comparable number of spares in return? That's the kind of questions I'd be asking myself.
Hey cjtamu... I have an 8ight buggy myself, i have a question. if i upgrade to the 2.0 radio tray, would i have to do any modification to put it on my buggy? i heard the throttle linkage on the 8ight has to be on precise. I you can get me the part numbers that i need to upgrade the buggy would be great. thank
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Prophet

i heard that if u buy the 2.0 radio tray u have to get the 2.0 linkage also.
i have the 1.0 eight and the throttle spring was to long and stiff so i had to cut two coils off if it ,the only thing is that if u do that u have to set the epa down to 60 to 70 throttle but the odd thing is i still got full throttle. what he was meaning about u have to be prise about set up the linkage is because of the flexing and the 1.0 radio tray but u can put a radio stiffer and rubber gromets under the throttle servo thats what i did
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guss2009
Hey cjtamu... I have an 8ight buggy myself, i have a question. if i upgrade to the 2.0 radio tray, would i have to do any modification to put it on my buggy? i heard the throttle linkage on the 8ight has to be on precise. I you can get me the part numbers that i need to upgrade the buggy would be great. thank
I haven't done it to mine b/c I already had the KHZ brace in it and haven't had any problems. But yeah, you need the tray and the linkage and I think that's it. Donwload the 2.0 manual from the Losi site and you should be able to get the part nos. If you stay with the stock 1.0 tray just download the addendum from the Losi site and set your linkage up exactly the way it says. Should not have to cut the throttle spring. Some of engines (OS RG and VG I know for sure) have a long ball stud for the carb and they won't line up exactly straight. Do the best you can and be sure it's pretty straight and not binding when you pull throttle, and be sure you can pull another 1mm or so of carb at WOT. That way it won't stress the throttle when it flexes. My EPA's are set at about 45% on throttle side and probably 55-60% on brake, car goes and stops just fine.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by guss2009
You need the 2.0 tray, 2.0 linkage and 2.0 side guards. You CAN take a dremmel to the guards, but the 2.0 ones are a direct fit.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=11576
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=11578
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=11593

As for the trade, like others have said, there are some different factors that would influence the decision. If the 8ight is of equal quality, I say go for it. The 8ight is definately the better handling buggy.