Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIDEWINDER FUEL HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Circus, I would not be too concerned with the temp and tune it for performance. The smaller engines are known for running a bit hotter anyways. If you still see light smoke at WOT then it is not lean and the engine is getting lubrication...I have an OCM Redline engine that sees 300 degrees on Sidewinder 30percent Worlds blend. Engine runs fine and puts out smoke...
Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The problem with that is at 300 degrees mine will start reving by itself even with the idle all the way out. And you cant whoa it up going into a corner. At wide open throttle mine is bogging and you can puddle unburnt fuel in your hand. Thats what gets me plenty of smoke enough fuel to where it looks like a water hose and still 300 degrees. It was getting so much fuel that when I finally gave up and cut it off it hydro locked.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hmm...so far i have no problem with sidewinder fuel... have been using it for more than 1 years... im using 16%!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Unless I just missed it somewhere I didn't see what % Odonnell you were running. If you went from 30% Odonnell to 20% Sidewinder then your glow plug selection will change, and you'll have to re-tune completely. Try this tuning method in this order:
1. Richen up both needles alot
2. Get the engine running and start to build some heat.
3. Make a few high speed passes, and adjust the top end from rich to lean. Check your temp to make sure you aren't tuning a cold motor. Temp should be at least 190. Get the top end right before you adjust anything else. The motor should scream with a faint smoke trail.
4. Adjust the Low end. Bring the car to a stop in front of you and count to ten. Nail the gas, and the car should take off without hesitation and a puff of smoke. Adjust the low end from rich to lean until it will do this. Fine tune by pinching off the fuel line close to the carb. The engine should rev up and die within 3-5 seconds. More than five it's too rich. Less than 3 it's too lean.
5. Set the idle
When your needles are way out, and they should be because you richened them up alot, you can make adjustments in 1/4 turns. Once you start getting close start making adjustments in one hour increments like the face of a clock. Sidewinder is great fuel. It is possible that you got a bad bottle but certainly not likely. This is probably a tuning issue. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok I had some time to do some tuning today. I was running a hot plug i want to say it was called a tc3 or something. I changed it to an Odonnel 77, which is a med/hot plug. It got better It will run around 270 now instead of 300. If I change to a med/cold plug will it help drop the temp more. the odonnel fuel was 20% race blend.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RadioCircus
Ok I had some time to do some tuning today. I was running a hot plug i want to say it was called a tc3 or something. I changed it to an Odonnel 77, which is a med/hot plug. It got better It will run around 270 now instead of 300. If I change to a med/cold plug will it help drop the temp more. the odonnel fuel was 20% race blend.

Never had a problem, I have ran Either Byrons or sidewinder with really no tuning needed, I have even mixed the fuels, no issues, I like byrons, but would not hesitate to run Sidewinder. I race at least once a week and have had no tuning issues, unless the humidity changed drasticly, otherwise, no real noticable change in performance, I tune by water Evaporation an smoke, no Idea or concern about the temp. It is what it is, So Wie So.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This may have been mentioned already. If I have a motor running irratic or temps going crazy I first check/change fuel line (pin hole leak) or maybe high speed needle has worked its way loose. Even a front bearing could be leaking.

I tested Sidewinder out of my own pocket and have been running it for about 1 1/2 years now. Nothing but good luck out of it for me.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Hi guys who run Sidewinder fuel. May I know do I need to put after run oil every end of the day of bashing? I run once a week...Thanks.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

I run 16% in my Go .21 7p but no problems, to me it is better fuel than Tornado which is the most sold fuel in my country.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tkhoo
Hi guys who run Sidewinder fuel. May I know do I need to put after run oil every end of the day of bashing? I run once a week...Thanks.
I have used Sidewinder for years, and I have never used ARO. It wouldn't hurt, but I have never seen a speck of rust in my engines while using Sidewinder.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tkhoo
If you read on the bottle it will say DO NOT use after run oil....
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Powell
I have used Sidewinder for years, and I have never used ARO. It wouldn't hurt, but I have never seen a speck of rust in my engines while using Sidewinder.
+1 I have used Sidewinder going on my second year, and not using ARO. States it right on the jug. Also, we have had some newbie's hit 300 deg with there engines accidentally and the fuel protected it. I do plug the exhaust on my stinger from week to week for good measure.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by AZrcdriver
If you read on the bottle it will say DO NOT use after run oil....
Yeah saw it .....Just ask all the used their advice....Thanks all. I like the fuel too
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Changing fuels may require a glow plug change to get proper tune.You may want to try a colder plug if your temps are way up there.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have been running byrons for the last year and might have to change fuels because it becomming harder to get from my lhs they seem to always have sidewinder and o'donnell does anyone know witch one is the closest to the byrons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.