R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   OS V-Spec / Pinch, Rebuild, Replace? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/290759-os-v-spec-pinch-rebuild-replace.html)

mebolson 04-17-2009 09:46 PM

OS V-Spec / Pinch, Rebuild, Replace?

Please forgive me, I'm new to nitro.
I have an OS V-spec that has 4 gallons or so through. The last race I started having issues flaming out. Replaced glow plug, fuel lines, etc... Took it to the track today and the engine would not hold an idle consistently. An experienced friend spun the motor and said it hardly has any pinch left. When the motor is hot it has little pinch, when it is cold it has a pinch.
What are my options if I keep this motor? Any ideas of costs?
Thanks,
E

gotspeed_2000 04-17-2009 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by mebolson (Post 5698872)
Please forgive me, I'm new to nitro.
I have an OS V-spec that has 4 gallons or so through. The last race I started having issues flaming out. Replaced glow plug, fuel lines, etc... Took it to the track today and the engine would not hold an idle consistently. An experienced friend spun the motor and said it hardly has any pinch left. When the motor is hot it has little pinch, when it is cold it has a pinch.
What are my options if I keep this motor? Any ideas of costs?
Thanks,
E

If the bearings and rod are in good condition, contact a sleeve reconditioner such as rayaracing or osrocket to have your sleeve pinched. This will extend the life of the motor. While doing this, it's a really good time to change out the bearing of the vspec also. TKO's are good and are inexpensive upgrade worth every penny. If you go with a medium pinch, and change the bearings is pretty close to a new motor as long as the crank and rod are good. Should last a few more gallons for under 100 bucks for the pinch and the bearings. Good luck.

Joey Powell 04-18-2009 06:50 AM

You need to measure your crank pin and your rod bushing to see if they're still concentric. If they're out more than 1/1000" they'll need to be replaced too.

JAMMINKRAZY 04-18-2009 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Joey Powell (Post 5699667)
You need to measure your crank pin and your rod bushing to see if they're still concentric. If they're out more than 1/1000" they'll need to be replaced too.

+1 and when you get to that point, it's not worth it to rebuild. It would probably cost you almost as much as a brand new engine.:nod:

Ericzheng 04-18-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 5699684)
+1 and when you get to that point, it's not worth it to rebuild. It would probably cost you almost as much as a brand new engine.:nod:

I argeed. No point rebuilding it!!!

RayA 04-18-2009 10:24 AM

Ship it

4 gallons on a vspec is nothing. Check your bearings and replace only as needed, send piston&sleeve set here in Orchard Park, and replace conrod after a easy rebreakin the freshly reconditioned-resized P&S set. You should be dialed for atleast 3 more gallons. Kind regards,

RayAracing

gotspeed_2000 04-18-2009 08:42 PM

I've used ray's service before and have to say it was top notch for me. Excellent guy and he does great work. Sent him my Collari 7 port piston and sleeve and it was good for another 4 gallons before the rod went poof:p. I think the motor would've went even longer since it was still running strong.