cleaning

Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

let it sit a while and majority of it should settle. whipe it down real good with a clean shop towel.

Originally Posted by [email protected]
What would be a good way to clean your kit if you dont have an air compressor. I like the strip down hose offf and wd40 everything method but i my not be able to get all the wd40 off without an air compressor. Would a blow dryer do the job? Any other methods?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

When people say "I tear it down completely after each race" I am like WTF? That was until you guys explained that 'completely' was rather taking the radio/engine/tank out. To me, a complete tear down is to disassemble the front/rear end, inspect the diffs, rebuild if necessary, and rebuild the shocks.

Question for those that use the hose: Do you find that your bearings tend to get grimy if you spray with water? Or do you replace all bearings every race day as well? The trouble I always have when spraying with water, particularly if I use a degreaser like simple green, is that dust/grim runs into the bearings and makes them gritty. Drives me NUTZ!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I do a complete clean after every race day. But I am anal about my stuff.

Same here, but add after pratice days to mine also.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
Same here, but add after pratice days to mine also.
yea i do the same lol i dont like seeing my truck looking dirty
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

i had a buggy that wasnt even worth the wd40 and the waste of time.. fickin jammin anyway.. JK but i tear my 8ight down after every race day
Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
What would be a good way to clean your kit if you dont have an air compressor. I like the strip down hose offf and wd40 everything method but i my not be able to get all the wd40 off without an air compressor. Would a blow dryer do the job? Any other methods?
You really need an air compressor to get it clean.

I clean mine any time it gets dirty(practice days included). I hate looking at/working on a dirty vehicle.

My bearings seem to hold up really well to the water. I just make sure to give them a good dose of WD-40 and every now and then grease them. I do change them fairly often, but not because they are gritty or anything, just because the bearings I use are cheap, and that way I don't have to worry about it.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
You really need an air compressor to get it clean.

I clean mine any time it gets dirty(practice days included). I hate looking at/working on a dirty vehicle.

My bearings seem to hold up really well to the water. I just make sure to give them a good dose of WD-40 and every now and then grease them. I do change them fairly often, but not because they are gritty or anything, just because the bearings I use are cheap, and that way I don't have to worry about it.
I bring mine to work and use the compressor. My plant has 2 whole rooms dedicated to very very large compressors.

I'm with JAMMINKRAZY I don't like my stuff dirty. If I could, I would like not to have scratches either, but thats not happening.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
I bring mine to work and use the compressor. My plant has 2 whole rooms dedicated to very very large compressors.

I'm with JAMMINKRAZY I don't like my stuff dirty. If I could, I would like not to have scratches either, but thats not happening.
ha ha i totally agree, it drives me insane when its dirty. they need the scratch away thing that they have with real cars haha
Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I usually do a quick cleaning after every race day,

By quick, I mean that I pull out the motor, pipe, and radio tray out of the Losi's I run and do a soap scrub then blow off. WD40 then another blow off. Usually takes me about 10 minutes per.

About every four race days I do a full tear down and go through the diffs, shocks and so fourth. I used to do a full tear down after every time running, but I don't always have the time. Was much easier just running one car/truck.