Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
should i be able to turn the flywheel with my finger?? >

should i be able to turn the flywheel with my finger??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

should i be able to turn the flywheel with my finger??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default should i be able to turn the flywheel with my finger??

I know i can't turn the shaft on the engine (ofna .26) but now that the flywheel and clutch are on i can turn it with my finger (it's not easy, i really have to try) Just wondering if the engine doesn't have as much compression as i thought.

It is not a new engine, and i have lined up the starter box with the flywheel to set the starter box. so the engine got turned for the first time in almost a year.

anyway is this normal??? sorry for all the dumb questions.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Yes it is normal..The more expensive Racing Mills you will not be able to turn by hand for 2+ gallons, or more..The less expensive engines can be turned with ease..It's not good for the engine though, with no fuel or lubrication all you are doing is scratching the metal of the Piston and the metal of the sleeve..so stop turning it by hand
Old 04-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

oops, i put my car on the starter box and lined up the flywheel and turned it on!!! How bad did i screw up my motor??? It's a new sleeve btw.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

so how bad did i screw it up. Man i hope i didn't. Someone please help. I have spent almost 2 grand.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

You should be ok. With the new sleeve you should be doing a new break in. Try starting it with fuel and let it idle. Have fun
Old 04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

whew. thanx man. doing a tiger stripe for a paint job now. Purple and gold!!!! lsu tiger style!!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
whew. thanx man. doing a tiger stripe for a paint job now. Purple and gold!!!! lsu tiger style!!
I would like to see the body when you are done!! Can you post a pic?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
so how bad did i screw it up. Man i hope i didn't. Someone please help. I have spent almost 2 grand.
I hope you did not spend 2 grand on the ofna .26?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

LOL!!!! I have a mugen mbx6, airtronics m11 with spread spectrum module, ofna starter box, JR servos, dynamite 86 pipe and manifold, proline wheels and tires, titanium screws and of course the .26 ofna engine Kinda ran out of money. But when i get my .21 for racing it will be either trinity extech or ninja. Probably ninja. I am after all racing a mugen

as far as the painting goes. I traced tiger stripe pics off the net on to paper, traced them on top of my car, put liquid mask on the inside (waiting on second coat to dry) when the thrird coat dries i will cut out the stripes, spray first coat, let dry, paint second coat, peel off the rest of the mask. Put 2 coates of the other color.

shit that is a buttload of work. I am actually having trouble with it. I hope it turns out well if i post pics it did, if i don't well
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Everything you bought is top of the line, and you put the Ofna .26 engine in it?..That's an impressive list of RC stuff, you should've gotten a good starter .21 motor...Hyper .21 8-port, Novarossi N 21 BF, Go -Tech 3 port race.

I am sorry to say the .26 engine is going to get terrible run times and they have been known to need rebuilds rather quickly, not to mention that you can't race it because anything bigger than a .21 is not legal..will be a whole lotta fun bashing though...keep an eye on your drive train and gears as the power of a .26 engine will cause parts wear faster than a .21...Good luck, have fun