Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
getting first truggy, looking for a good engine. >

getting first truggy, looking for a good engine.

getting first truggy, looking for a good engine.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Default getting first truggy, looking for a good engine.

hey guys, i amy getting the HB D8T as my first real rc vehicle, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good engine to pick up. i saw the OS 28 XZ truggy engine. is this a good one to get or should i go a different route. thanks for the help!!

Greg
Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You will want a .21 not a .28. Much better fuel milage and all the power you could ever need.

IMO the JX ninja is one of the best on the market right now. Or the normal v-spec.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=11957

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=3240
Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Truggin09
hey guys, i amy getting the HB D8T as my first real rc vehicle, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good engine to pick up. i saw the OS 28 XZ truggy engine. is this a good one to get or should i go a different route. thanks for the help!!

Greg
If your starting out, look at a good .21, the os 28 is a brutal fast engine, you will be pulling your hair trying to get around the track, check out the JX .21 or the NR Plus 4, and NR P5 or Toro nero.

www.carolinasrc.com has alot of choices on engine's. check them out
Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
You will want a .21 not a .28. Much better fuel milage and all the power you could ever need.

IMO the JX ninja is one of the best on the market right now. Or the normal v-spec.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=11957

lol your quick
Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Twister
lol your quick
Old 04-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Read around any of these threads, and use the search tool. Theres alot of info already posted on motors. You just gotta pick one.

This thread has alot of talk about motors in it. Pretty good info, mostly Novarossi's. Which is a awesome motor company.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ice-h-e-s.html

Plus 4 thread

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...-plus-4-a.html

Just do some reading and searching. There are tons of threads just like this. Do some research here and at your local track. See if you will have local support for that motor.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Go .25 6 port, the best truggy motor we've ever ran. Great power but not a tire roaster, almost as good mileage as a .21.
A fellow sponsored racer that ran a Jx .21 said my son was killing him off the corners.
Depending on your skill level, if your a novice then a good .21 might be the ticket.

Rex
Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

GET A FACTORY TEAM TURBO PICCO P-3 .28 it's "STUPID FAST" OR if you're gonna race get a good turbo .21
Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

novarossi p5xst
Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

I would pick OS 28XZ if you want power, or OS 21 Vspec for driverability.

If this is your first RC, get OS. Much easier to tune and stay in tune, compared to the other italian mills. In general, I found Nova based engines more difficult to tune.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If your fund permit, get a mid level motor that will serve you well as your skills rise.

The Ninja JX series is a good look, though a bit more than most mid level motors.

Novarossi P5 is a good all around motor with decent torque and rpm. Also, I think A amain has on special this month.

Vspecs are good, but you have to make sure not to over heat the motor or you'll lose compression easily.

These are three motors I would look at in the 21 size.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

A Novarossi is a great truggy starting engine

I had one in my old 8T and it ran like a beauty

and they last forever with proper maintenance (but they all pretty much do)
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yep, get something Novarossi based. RB is a really good choice. The only engine I'd say you should stay away from is a Go. I know people have great luck at a great price with them, but I can't really recommend them myself, at least not for your first race engine. I made the mistake of getting a Go as my first race engine. Didn't go well and now it's in a pile on a workbench in my basement.

Get a Novarossi or an RB and break it in sloooow. Heat-cycle a half-gallon through it before it even sees the track. Be kind to it and it will make sure you get your money's worth.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for the price a dynamite platnium series .28
Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I'm gonna disagree with most of y'all on a couple of points, and agree on another:

The part I agree with is that the OS 28 XZ is NOT a good choice for a beginner. Too much power, you won't be able to control it effectively.

But I don't suggest a VSPEC or Ninja or any other higher end motor for a beginner either.

Go get a Sportwerks .26 V2 (if you can find one, they're discontinued) or a Losi Mach 427. Easy to tune, easy to break in, plenty of power, last as long as the "high end" engines, and cost half as much... that way you won't waste as much money if you make a tuning mistake and fry the motor.

Now, that isn't saying those are not good motors either... in fact, both of those are GREAT motors (and they are essentially the same motor.) They're good enough that I know someone who ran one at the Nationals in his truggy.

The ONLY downside is that they're a little "thirstier" than a VSPEC or other good .21... but the $150 you save on the price of the motor will buy a LOT of fuel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.