Wiki Posts
Search

Fully Modified EBM5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Fully Modified EBM5?

Ok, no circle jerk "my motor is better than your motor" in this thread please.

Im basically boiling down to either buying two of these from Ed at EB Mods, or buying a couple new Toro Nero's. Im curious, has anyone tried these motors out? What kinda of mileage/life are they getting? Are they bottom end monsters or mainly smooth powerband type of mills?

I already emailed Ed weeks ago for more details about the motors but he never responded to me so I figured i'd give the forums a shot.

Here's a link to the mills im referring to:
http://ebmods.com/Engine%20Page.htm

thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have heard nothing but good things about the motor. I have one but with the recent track change I have not been able to run it. I have some friends who are running them and they have told me its very close to a speed but with a little more grunt on bottom
Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Matt Gosch Won Truggy at Motorama running a race prepped EBM5 making 9.30 min pits. The race actually came down to the last turn, and was a race to to line. Crazy!
http://ebmods.com/Motorama%20Win.JPG

I had the chance to drive one in my friends buggy, and i thought the fully modified was very smooth, but more powerful then my OS. We recommend the race prepped M5 for Truggy, and the Full Mod in Buggy. reason being the full mod has timing adjustments that smooth out the power-band, which is better suited for buggy. The RP will be more aggressive, better suited for truck. although my friend has the FM in his truck, and loves it. either way...
Both available here www.lucky7rc.com
I have also tuned a few, and they seem to tune pretty easy. Everything was close out of the box, just some small adjustments. Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

My son ran a fully modded one a couple weeks ago. He has ran the 5 port Go since July so we now how good the stock one is.
He said it was definately smoother, more controlable, and pulls really good on top. (Reminded him of the 421b) We ran 7 minute heats and came off the track with 1/3 tank left, really good for a new motor with a 8mm restrictor.
I got the motor in the mail the day of a race, put it in and fired right up. I noticed less vibration on the box, easy to tune.

If you are expecting to pull it apart and the sleeve to look like swiss cheese you will be disapointed. Just a solid easy to tune motor.

Like mentioned previous, Ed recommends the Race prepped for a truggy, fully modded for a buggy.

Rex
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You can call the shop the numbers on the site. I have seen stock 5 ports get 10_ gallons so with the coated parts and pro break in you cant get no less possibly a few more as long as you do them right. For what you get and for the $ they cost they are just awesome. I dont see any other mills that offer what they do in that price range. I definetly would take heed to what was said as to which 1 for which car, if you have truggy and buggy get 1 of each or if your set on 2 FULLY's go for it. The race prepped will be more abrupt on bottum but with any 086, 9886, 0801 it will pull to no end. If you have 1 of the lighter truggies out there go 2 full mods, if its a heavy model you may want the abruptness of the race prepped.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I've been running mine in a D8 for about 1 1/2 gallons now, I couldnt be happier. Its been an anvil so far..... pick up a couple P4 OS plugs and run the snot out of it I've ran mine with the EB Mods pipe, 086, 053 and I'm trying some JP pipes this weekend. I'm getting about 9 mins per tank with a 7mm restrictor at about 220' with a legal tank.

I ran Vspecs all last year and I think EB FM engine has about the same low end but a bunch more mid-top, it has the top like a S7. Everyone around here let me be the mule and try one out before they bought theyre engines for the summer..... Its got 1 1/2 gallons of odonnell through it and I still cant turn it by hand cold in the car...... The crank coating is holding up perfect and there's something different they do wth the taper in the sleeve...... at this rate its never going to loose its thump. Anyway, we're out of the engines at the shop... waiting for more. I think there's a total of 5 of them going to be at this weekends race.

Here's a vid of mine on a small indoor track (winter around here isnt very RC friendly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Pz5dOf574
Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

its a good motor , makes good power, gets good fuel economy, easy to tune, the fact that it was broken in was a cool feature as well, you wont be disappointed if you give the ebm5 a try
Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've got one in my car ready to go and will be running it this weekend for the first time.

Tony, of course we're going to let you try it out first duh!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 22Racer
My son ran a fully modded one a couple weeks ago. He has ran the 5 port Go since July so we now how good the stock one is.
He said it was definately smoother, more controlable, and pulls really good on top. (Reminded him of the 421b) We ran 7 minute heats and came off the track with 1/3 tank left, really good for a new motor with a 8mm restrictor.
I got the motor in the mail the day of a race, put it in and fired right up. I noticed less vibration on the box, easy to tune.

If you are expecting to pull it apart and the sleeve to look like swiss cheese you will be disapointed. Just a solid easy to tune motor.

Like mentioned previous, Ed recommends the Race prepped for a truggy, fully modded for a buggy.

Rex
thats one thing about ed's engines he dosent make useless cuts and stuff to make it look cool, everything he does makes more power, but with out sacrificing tunability or reliability. he actually use's a dyno and test the changes he makes not just winging it, he can duplicate it every time, cant say that about alot of the other engine modders out there
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tkcustoms
I've got one in my car ready to go and will be running it this weekend for the first time.

Tony, of course we're going to let you try it out first duh!
oink! I'll be the guinnea
Old 03-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you have to pre heat these engines before starting....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

i did, but was told i didnt have to, i usually preheat my engines for the first few race nights just to make less stress on the rod
Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ed ran my truggy at motorama with his engine in it. I was skeptical until i saw it run in my truck. Very impressed with it. Seemed to have a very broad powerband. I really like my eb mods v spec and speed motor with the eb modded head button, but i will be buying a EBM5 shortly so......we'll just see how it stacks up.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Alrighty...thanks everyone for the replies. To me it sounds like this is more of a motor for people who... lets say know how to drive? I've been running a C6, and that absurd abundance of power tends to make up for my shortcomings... is this motor going to be one of those "smooth" mills that will fail to give me that stupid amount of power I crave? either way, I think thats my last question before I choose...thanks again for all the relevant, quick and thorough replies.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JW RACING
Do you have to pre heat these engines before starting....

I preheat every motor for about a gallon, saves the rod and increases life alittle IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.