Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
ATF Oil and Sidewinder Fuel Question >

ATF Oil and Sidewinder Fuel Question

ATF Oil and Sidewinder Fuel Question

Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default ATF Oil and Sidewinder Fuel Question

I got 2 question:

Is it true that ATF Oil can be used as after run oil? If yes, can we use it for long period and forget the after run oil?

Is it true that if we use Sidewinder fuel we no longer need after run oil? I need to be extra sure about this because I don't want to hurt my new engine just because I'm skipping the after run procedure.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krawl
I got 2 question:

Is it true that ATF Oil can be used as after run oil? If yes, can we use it for long period and forget the after run oil?

Is it true that if we use Sidewinder fuel we no longer need after run oil? I need to be extra sure about this because I don't want to hurt my new engine just because I'm skipping the after run procedure.

Thanks in advance
Not sure about the ATF. But the sidewinder no after run oil is correct. I have run my last GRP on sidewinder 99% of the time since it was new to when I sold it at 7 gal. Never used after run oil when I ran the sidewinder and no problems. I like the sidewinder fuel and I run it exclusively whenever I can once in a great while it is unavailable and I have to run a couple quart of something else. But as long as I use sidewinder I dont use after run oil. I never liked the way you had to take out the plug and risk the chance of getting dirt in the cylinder when you were applying after run oil. No problems or complaints here with sidewinder and no after run oil.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank L
Not sure about the ATF. But the sidewinder no after run oil is correct. I have run my last GRP on sidewinder 99% of the time since it was new to when I sold it at 7 gal. Never used after run oil when I ran the sidewinder and no problems. I like the sidewinder fuel and I run it exclusively whenever I can once in a great while it is unavailable and I have to run a couple quart of something else. But as long as I use sidewinder I dont use after run oil. I never liked the way you had to take out the plug and risk the chance of getting dirt in the cylinder when you were applying after run oil. No problems or complaints here with sidewinder and no after run oil.
Thanks Frank...hope somebody could chime in about the ATF...thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

yes on the atf as after run oil, thats what we used back in the day before after run oil.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Be careful what engines you use ATF with for after run. It (like any petroleum oil) will ruin the silicone fillers found in the cranks on some higher end engines like Novarossi. If you have one like that you should use Mineral oil instead.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default atf

I was told ATF will eat the rubber on the front bearings and they will leak. Just take your motor apart and soak the parts in denatured alachol.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Before I ran sidewinder I used Marvel Mystery Oil as after run and never had any problems with it. Can be found at major auto shops
Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Be careful what engines you use ATF with for after run. It (like any petroleum oil) will ruin the silicone fillers found in the cranks on some higher end engines like Novarossi. If you have one like that you should use Mineral oil instead.
How can we tell? Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

- remove carb
- take a look at your crank, maybe turn it a litte bit
- you'll see the engine's intake and maybe it is filled with "ramp" made of a "rubber-like" material. color may vary, but most compounds are red
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Never had a problem with ATF.
Regarding the way to put after run oil...

I remove the fuel line from the carb nipple and put some after run oil in it using the tip of the bottle.I put around 5-8cm of oil in the tube and put it back to the nipple.
Then while the engine is still warm i crank it on the starter box until it sucks in all the oil from the tube...this way i don't remove any glow plugs or ait filters.
The oil distributes everywhere just like the fuel would...only hint is to try and use thin after run oils.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
I was told ATF will eat the rubber on the front bearings and they will leak. Just take your motor apart and soak the parts in denatured alachol.
Keep in mind that the seal in the front bearing isn't meant to be air tight, or even oil tight (they're pretty snug when new though). If theres a lot of ARO in an engine it will seep out the front bearing a little even if it's new.

+1 What triplesix said. The silicone filler will always be bright red or blue or some bright color. It's considered a featue so the engine maker wants it to be visible.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My tuned GRP has a clear silicone filler.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

strange, ATF never damaged any silicone or rubber in a transmission....
Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Keep in mind that the seal in the front bearing isn't meant to be air tight, or even oil tight (they're pretty snug when new though). If theres a lot of ARO in an engine it will seep out the front bearing a little even if it's new.

+1 What triplesix said. The silicone filler will always be bright red or blue or some bright color. It's considered a featue so the engine maker wants it to be visible.
BIG THANKS Davidka...i always get worried everytime is see some drops WD-40 on the floor after cleaning my revo... one less thing to worry... thanks