R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Engine storage (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/285988-engine-storage.html)

Quietman 03-29-2009 12:53 PM

Engine storage

Hi
When you have finished for the day what do you do to the engine i.e afterrun fuel/or after run oil or both just would like to know as i do both but cannot get any more afterrun fuel.Rb says wash the engine internals with white spirit?But never seen this done before?
Thanks

hermsrc 03-29-2009 12:56 PM

RUN IT OUT OF FUEL THATS IT

Charles Godwin 03-29-2009 12:56 PM

Tip fuel out of tank. Run the lines dry on the box, 20 small drops of ARO. 5 seconds turn over on the box,job done :nod:

Quietman 03-29-2009 01:05 PM

Thanks

CarCrazy 03-29-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quietman (Post 5613248)
Hi
When you have finished for the day what do you do to the engine i.e afterrun fuel/or after run oil or both just would like to know as i do both but cannot get any more afterrun fuel.Rb says wash the engine internals with white spirit?But never seen this done before?
Thanks

Higher or lower quality fuels depending on fuel brand, will do different things to the metal in your motor. If your using a higher quality fuel's such as Werks or Byrons Gen 2 this schedule should be good.

If you will be running your car again within the next two days:
- Do nothing.

If you will run it within the next week:
- run the fuel out.

If you will be packing it up for longer than one week.
- Run fuel out
- Put 4 drops of after run oil in the carb, and 4 through the head button hole.
- Turn the motor over a few times by hand to get oil on the inner bearings.

If your packing your motor up for the winter:
- Run fuel out
- Put 10+ drops of after run oil in the carb, and 10+ through the head button hole.
- Turn the motor over a few times by hand and shake the oil around inside the motor, to get oil on the inner bearings and coat all surfaces.
- Seal the motor in a plastic zip lock bag
(Keep in mind it the air touching the metal surfaces is what helps create rust.)

This works very well for me, in fact I have had some motors that reach the 7-8 gallon mark before rebuilds with this method.

Other things to keep in mind:
- After run oil can ruin some glow plugs (Use an old plug to burn out the oil)
- Less expensive fuels might require after run oil immediately.
- Use carb, exhaust, fuel inlet caps to seal your motors up, and reduce air/moister exposure.

:nod:

cary 03-29-2009 01:52 PM

what about silicone fillers in some cranks just got two motors with
filled cranks use odonnells fuel in the past have all ways used
after run oil in my v-specs (after run oil the brand) is this ok
use with silicone filled cranks