Wiki Posts
Search

GRP .28 Tuned!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)
Default GRP .28 Tuned!

Guys, I have just gotten the new Mugen 6T and was thinking about dropping in a GRP .28 tuned mill but I don't have any experience with this line of motors. For those that have actually used this motor please provide some commentary before I pull the trigger.

Be brutally honest about your likes and dislikes. Also, this is the promo kit version so it will include the header and pipe.

Thanks guys for the input!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunky10
Guys, I have just gotten the new Mugen 6T and was thinking about dropping in a GRP .28 tuned mill but I don't have any experience with this line of motors. For those that have actually used this motor please provide some commentary before I pull the trigger.

Be brutally honest about your likes and dislikes. Also, this is the promo kit version so it will include the header and pipe.

Thanks guys for the input!
the engine is a beast. I had a modded .28 for one race weekend and it was too much. I even race on large tracks. I thought it was overkill and the pitstops every 5 mins were excessive. I think it was a little rich and could have pitted at 6 mins tuned properly but unless you have huge tracks it's overkill. On the plus side the promo pipe is good I tried a couple other pipes and that one was best. I could clear any jump and out pull anyone down the huge straight. But it was overkill. One other thing to remember is that grp is out of business, no parts support. I then purchased an os speed wc II engine and I love it. Tons of power great mileage and overall best all around engine. These new truggys are geared for race .21 engines. I personally like a high quality race .21 Just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default GRP.28

I have ran the GRP.28 for 2 summers in a x2 crt. Engine has the smoothest power I have ran in a .28. Pit time average about 8 1/2 min. with 7.0 restrictor p3 plug Byrons 30%. I have aprox. 7 gallons on this engine and still runs very strong with good compression.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My rear bearing went through it after 8 litres.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm running the tuned .28 in a 8T 2.0. You probably want to change a few things to help tame it and get better fuel ecconomy. Run the 6.0 restrictor, the lightest clutch springs you can get and, gear up 2-3 teeth on the clutch bell. I also run run the GRP pipe.

The preformance is about the same as the best 21 engine you can find with this setup. I had ran a 16 tooth bell for a while and it was very smooth and fast. It was also a little harder on the clutch shoes. 2 weeks ago I switched to a 15 tooth bell and I liked it a lot better on a high traction surface. It was getting 8-9 minutes of runtime on a tank. I would also recomend runing the Dynamite Maxlife clutch shoes.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It, and the almost identical Ninja .28 were the kings of .28 nitro engines