Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. Speed owner speak up

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The pro model is for people who want an os, but with little more added to them. The hard coated crank and ceramic bearings make this motor an interesting option, but would I buy it? Probably not, since I would also prefer a JX instead or spend a little more to get a Speed II from OS, but it is an option since the JX does not come with a ceramic bearing. For the 400, I'd also try to find the older speed with the aluminum head for the same amount. I've bought 2 speeds for that price. For less then 400, the toro is a good motor to look at, but I still think the motor has to suit the driver more than anything.

As far as other motors available I would give a toro a good look, heck even the Plus 4 for most people is enough. I just like the idea that OS offers an inbetween motor in their lineup. Is the price right for the pro model? It might be a bit high, but that's up to the user to determine what they want and need. I would think the price would come down a little, but I would not get it since I already run speeds and novarossi's.

To me, if I'm gonna start investing in new motors, then I would give the JP eagle series a look. These motors are selling on line modified for around mid 400's where I've seen them. A local racer at our track has one it looks outrageous on the track.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by imaxx21
you can run whatever head you want, itll run fine.

the only people having problems with it, are the people who tune to temp and not performance IMO
+1

The benefits of running the mag head is that it is lighter and sheds head a little better than the aluminum head. If you can find one cheap, then it could be an option as well as the new speed II head which is made of aluminum but has been drilled to slightly lower cg, weight, and increase surface area. Just tune to performance and then back it off a bit. Keep track of what temps you are running and keep those a baseline to help determine fuel mixtures.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
The pro model is for people who want an os, but with little more added to them. The hard coated crank and ceramic bearings make this motor an interesting option, but would I buy it? Probably not, since I would also prefer a JX instead or spend a little more to get a Speed II from OS, but it is an option since the JX does not come with a ceramic bearing. For the 400, I'd also try to find the older speed with the aluminum head for the same amount. I've bought 2 speeds for that price. For less then 400, the toro is a good motor to look at, but I still think the motor has to suit the driver more than anything.

As far as other motors available I would give a toro a good look, heck even the Plus 4 for most people is enough. I just like the idea that OS offers an inbetween motor in their lineup. Is the price right for the pro model? It might be a bit high, but that's up to the user to determine what they want and need. I would think the price would come down a little, but I would not get it since I already run speeds and novarossi's.

To me, if I'm gonna start investing in new motors, then I would give the JP eagle series a look. These motors are selling on line modified for around mid 400's where I've seen them. A local racer at our track has one it looks outrageous on the track.
At the end of the day and how ever you try and sugar coat it for 400 bills it is too expensive, especially when there are better and cheaper alternatives.

+1 for the Ninja JX, cheaper alternative. The two motors for a newbie are too expensive and most likely too hot.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There's nothing better than the OS Speeds. A few on the same level, but nothing better, in my opinion at least.

You've both made your case and one of you has a valid point. This guy was looking for an opinion, not an arguement.

Would I buy another Speed if I had the free cash to do it, but since that doesn't happen to often I'd have to say I'd go JX21 or regular V Spec.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The Nova has been proven time and time again. This new toro should be one hell of an engine. Nova always does their R/D. I am a GRP guy and I'm thinking about trying this new Nova.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here is my take. The O.S. Speed is very good. Performance and reliability are there. The life out of the motor will depend on how you run the engine, simple as that. The Nova's have good life, but can you get the power out of them like a Speed as far as bottom end punch and quickness to spool up. The VSpec is similar, but not the same as far as power delivery. VSpecs have more uncontrolled bottom end hard hitting punch, where the Speed has a very linear power delivery. Also the Speed generally will be rebuildable after its done, since the crank is DLC treated, as where the VSpec and sometimes the Nova crank pin will go oval. The Plus 21-4 is the closest Nova to a Speed, so it promises to have a overall life expectancy that may exceed the Speed, but only time will tell in the long run. Add a ceramic rear bearing and send the 21-4 crank out for DLC treatment and that engine should give the Speed a run for the money and then some in the long run. I don't bias towards any engine, just what I have and tuned. Just my $.02.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OS does have very strong R&D as well. Look at all the engines they produce. Not just in cars, they are also very strong in Heli, and other areas. In terms of technology, I don't think OS would be behind at all compared to NovaRossi.

I got a OS speed VspecII from rc-toro about 2 months ago, and I saw my result improved. This past week I ALMOST made a-main

GO OS
Old 03-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input I have decided to go with the Toro Nero. I have just seen to many v-specs rods wear out. But I could have made bad decision to. Once again thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NitroNewbie
Thanks for all the input I have decided to go with the Toro Nero. I have just seen to many v-specs rods wear out. But I could have made bad decision to. Once again thanks.
Keep us posted on the toro. I would like an unbiased opinion. I've only run speeds and modded v specs. Guess i need to see one run for myself.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

i currently have a os speed 2 in my 8t 2.0 and it rips. i also run the losi RE-10 pipe and i'm getting 11 min with a 6.5mm restrictor, plenty of power. It screams down the straight away and plenty of power on the in field. I tried the plus 4 in the truggy and so far the speed has a lot more.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitroNewbie
I don't think you could've made a bad choice between the two motors. Atleast there will be no shortage of power
Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I'm the type who does not 'blip' the throttle often enough as I am an electric guy at heart. The OS speed has really suited me in this respect. I had problems with RB's (my fault) and later G branded motors (motor fault).

I ran the G branded motors for the better of the last year & a half but had a lot of problems with flame out & carb issues. Well, sold all of them & never looked back.

This motor has helped me to move up from a middle 'B' main finisher to middle 'A' main.

Also running a Ninja JX in my truggy. Plenty of power.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 03-31-2009, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

from what ive been told the nero isnt the beast some make it out to be, Stephen bess says the +4 has more touque but the nero hits allot harder mid to top.
Eitherway both speeds and toro neros are to much engine for most people.

whats with this ceramic bearing craze lately? I remeber in the late ninties cermaics were the thing to have in skateboarding but they have since disapeared for cheaper more durable abec 5 and abec 7 bearings. Seems the ceramic balls didnt like the stresses placed on them.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Haulin Bass..... It ain't the late 90's anymore

Bearing tech has come a long way since then. Race desgin and radial play (death of all high speed bearings) has been cut down so much it's why they last longer. Skate wheels also take WAY more beating then say a crankshaft that spins true with minimal side loads.

On the topic of Speed motors I've driven allot of different motors and broke in a ton of them as well. Not as many Ernest (he's a motor freak) but I've never felt or driven any that run as smooth as the speed. Not the fastest top end or the most bottom but BY FAR the most driveable power I've had the pleasure of using. If money isn't a factor when this one's dead I WILL buy another.

Haven't had luck with either of the Nova's I had p5xs and a 21-7k. They both sucked and didn't last more then 4 gallons before the tune went to hell. I always get at least 7 from a v-spec before they get funny.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by joeling
Well, I'm the type who does not 'blip' the throttle often enough as I am an electric guy at heart. The OS speed has really suited me in this respect. I had problems with RB's (my fault) and later G branded motors (motor fault).

I ran the G branded motors for the better of the last year & a half but had a lot of problems with flame out & carb issues. Well, sold all of them & never looked back.

This motor has helped me to move up from a middle 'B' main finisher to middle 'A' main.

Also running a Ninja JX in my truggy. Plenty of power.

Regards,
Joe Ling

yes, i have the same exp with the G branded motor. A lot of hype. At the end, you get what you pay for. I never tried toro Nero, but it is just that not everyone can afford OS speed VspecII. $450 for a motor is very steep lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.