Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
alignment stand >

alignment stand

alignment stand

Old 03-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default alignment stand

What is a good alignment stand? Also, I'm thinking that I need to increase the rear toe-in and maybe possibly the front too on my slayer to make it track a little better in the rough stuff, what is a good setting to try out? The truck is still box stock with like 1 degree toe-in all the way around.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cassidy
What is a good alignment stand? Also, I'm thinking that I need to increase the rear toe-in and maybe possibly the front too on my slayer to make it track a little better in the rough stuff, what is a good setting to try out? The truck is still box stock with like 1 degree toe-in all the way around.

the Hudy 1/8 station is probably the most used....there are other's out there that are just as nice...but i use the Hudy and like it alot....they aren't cheep btw....and you dont need the board of decal....get a nice peice of Plexiglas or even a piece of glass would work.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

For a Slayer, I'd just get yourself a set of RPM gauges. Are you racing? That's the only reason I would even consider spending money on an actual setup station; even a cheapy one.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K_B
For a Slayer, I'd just get yourself a set of RPM gauges. Are you racing? That's the only reason I would even consider spending money on an actual setup station; even a cheapy one.
No, I am not racing yet. I am just getting into the hobby and learning how to tune and set up during practice runs. Can you post a link on the rpm gauges, what should I expect to pay for something like that? Being new, I dont want to spend money I dont have too......yet...LOL
Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

No, I am not racing yet. I am just getting into the hobby and learning how to tune and set up during practice runs. Can you post a link on the rpm gauges, what should I expect to pay for something like that? Being new, I dont want to spend money I dont have too......yet...LOL

Dont get a setup board then, They care all pritty pricey.. unless your going to get very serious at racing I wouldnt bother.. get a RPM guage.. They, are great but unless you are taking in very seriously.. I wouldnt personally bother..
Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14
Dont get a setup board then, They care all pritty pricey.. unless your going to get very serious at racing I wouldnt bother.. get a RPM guage.. They, are great but unless you are taking in very seriously.. I wouldnt personally bother..
Would adjusting the toe in more help with the stability through the rough stuff? How about just eyeballing it since it is not being raced, I would just like it to be a little more stable at higher speeds, it seems kinda darty. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can someone please post some links to setup stations ( mid price range ) for 1/8 buggie. I have tried to look but not knowing the brand name made it hard.

Thanks and good luck in the 09 season !

Last edited by Andrew_67; 03-24-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

hear is some go info on car handling dynamlics RC-SETUP.COM
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew_67
Can someone please post some links to setup boards ( mid price range ) for 1/8 buggie. I have tried to look but not knowing the brand name made it hard.

I used to have a Hudy system when I raced 1/8 onroad as a kid and my dad bought all my toys Now that i've got my own stuff I went "cheap" and bought an integy system instead and let me tell you, its really worth the extra money to buy a hudy system, the quality and precision is second to NONE.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Allumina
I used to have a Hudy system when I raced 1/8 onroad as a kid and my dad bought all my toys Now that i've got my own stuff I went "cheap" and bought an integy system instead and let me tell you, its really worth the extra money to buy a hudy system, the quality and precision is second to NONE.
Spending the extra $$ gets you the better product most of the time. I was hoping to find a product that does the job for a half decent $$.

Thanks for the heads up !
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Would adjusting the toe in more help with the stability through the rough stuff? How about just eyeballing it since it is not being raced, I would just like it to be a little more stable at higher speeds, it seems kinda darty. Thanks for the advice.
There are several things you can work on to calm it down. I really dont know what adjustments the Slayer has so these tips are just general recommendations.

Adjust to 1-3 degrees of toe-in on front
Lower the ride height.
Use stiffer shock oils and springs
Increase rear toe-in
If upper arms are adjustable, lenthen them in the front to make it more stable
Stiffer sway bars

Sometimes running 2-5 degrees of toe out on the front end will help calm the steering.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew_67
Can someone please post some links to setup boards ( mid price range ) for 1/8 buggie. I have tried to look but not knowing the brand name made it hard.

a piece of plexi glass or even a piece of counter top works just fine....as long as its flat and smooth...the Hudy decals are not worth it...don't bother.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i agree hudy tools be it hand tools set up tools ect. may be a little
pricey but dont be afraid to buy the best you will not be dipointed
Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Here's a link to the RPM gauges. Not sure a setup station would work on a Slayer or not, but I'd say that if you're gonna be serious about racing in the future, a setup station isn't a bad investment. A digital caliper is another handy tool.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ARCH=rpm+gauge
Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by K_B
Here's a link to the RPM gauges. Not sure a setup station would work on a Slayer or not, but I'd say that if you're gonna be serious about racing in the future, a setup station isn't a bad investment. A digital caliper is another handy tool.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ARCH=rpm+gauge
Thanks a bunch! Those look perfect for what I need and the price is right too?