Advice for a first time racer!? >

Advice for a first time racer!?

Advice for a first time racer!?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Advice for a first time racer!?

Hey guys,

I know there is a thread for this kind of but I just wanted to get my questions answered more specifically as I have less than 24 hours until my first race. Ok so I just wanted to know any tips on getting ready and what I should bring to my first race. I am running at wolcott and I know they have track transponders and pits for me to sit at so what else. Also what berfore race precedures do you guys do to get ready. Also any info on how the racing really works would be great. I am sure I will have help there tomorrow but I just want to be kind of prepared!! Last question is, at the start of the race does your pitman hold your car and put it down and then run back over to the pits? or is it someone else??

Thanks alot and wish me luck.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Watch and learn the process of the races before yours. Just stay calm and drive your race. Pass those that you are faster than, and let those pass who are faster than you.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

great thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

unless he changes things you will have a 2 minute warmup then into the pits top off then there will be a guy telling you to go ifmar qualifying your own 5 minute clock races are heads up pitman holds the car then when signaled sets it down when all are ready the flagger raises his hand then your off!!good luck hope to see you there
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have no idea how they run their racing program.

Main things you need to do......
-Ask questions before, during, and after the drivers meeting.
-Make sure you get your engine tuned during practice.
-Show up early.
-You need a hole in your body or another mount for the loaner transponder. Extra body clip as well.
-Drive very slow!!!!!!!!!!! Focus on staying in the middle of the lane and not crashing.
-Try to watch ahead of your car for others that have crashed.
-Try to watch behind for fast or wreckless drivers coming up on you.
-Don't try to make the big jumps. Single, single, single is faster than wrecking on the tripple.
-Find a pit buddy early. Make sure you know how to start his car and he yours.
-Be a good marshal.
-Bring a sense of humor. You probably will have some dificulties. It gets better as you learn.
-Be cautious who you take advice from. Lots of people who think they know what their talking about.
-Watch the fast guys.
-Check the track surface, and watch how it changes through out the day.
-Don't try drag racing every car that get's close to you. Yeah it's fun but, one of you is going to wreck most likely.
-It can take a couple of tanks during practice to learn the layout. Try to run at least 3 tanks during practice.
-Look over your car between races. Work the suspention to be sure its free. Make sure the links are not binding. Check for slop in the steering. Check the gear mesh.

There's a few things to think about.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey toofless, so you get 2 min warmup and then a guy tells you to go to ifmar?? What does that mean? Also for your qaulifying race is it with the people in your class and how many are there? Is there a sportsman buggy class?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

aright sounds good. My dad is going to be my pitmn tomorrow which is cool also. I think its going to be a ton of fun. Also for toofless, if I come at like 9:30 will I be able to practice until my qualifying because my engine is just done with break in and I need to tune at the track. Also s there an on-site hoobby shop that stocks losi parts??
Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

IFMAR is the format for qualifying. In other words, the clock or scoring for YOU doesn't start until you cross the line for the first time after the heat race starts. It doesn't matter who is in front of or behind you, everyone is on their own clock so to speak. When your qualifying heat is coming up, you'll need to be ready to start your 2 minute warm up. I've been late to check in before and just throw it down and race with no warm up. Each "round" of qualifying is done like this. Usually the race director will call all the drivers in to top off the fuel before your heat race starts. Then you'll wait until he calls your name to start your race. At this point, it's all up to you as your driving the car. Do the best you can, go as fast as you can without wrecking. When finished, the RD will let everyone know the race is over and to bring them in. You'll then need to go right back out on the track and turn marshal the next heat that is making their way up on the drivestand.

When the mains start, you'll get the warm up time, bring it in to top it off, then depending on how the RD runs the track, your pit man will top it off and hold it up while waiting for the guy to either drop the flag or tell them to set them down. After that, it's every man for him self. That's pretty much it. I'm sure guys at the track will be more then willing to help guide you in the right direction.

The last thing I need to mention is, HAVE FUN. That's ultimately what it's all about, the fun.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok that was a great description, thank you!! So I get my 2 minute warm up my pit man tops my fuel off and then I ace my qaulyfing 5 min run for right? Also how many qualyfing runs are there?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Normally 2 qual runs. Is this your first time at the track, or have you been to the track before? I like to go to the track a weekend before to get the car setup and get a better feel for the track so you know what you are doing come race day. Practice makes perfect. Run as many laps as you can for practice, slow is fast is the name of the game in rc. By going slower, you arent going to bald tires as easily and try to be smooth. The 8ight likes to be driven smooth, not sliding all over the place so remember that when driving.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

yes, usually the heats are 5min. and they normally run 3 rounds of qualifying.

Get this race under your belt and pay close attention to everything going on. After a few races, you'll start to figure out just how it all works. It's really simple to be honest. Remember to have fun. I know I did when I went racing.

My first race I ever went to I got there 30 minutes late. I drove 1.5 hours to get there. The RD told me I was too late to enter the race but he said to stick around and when they are done, I could run my car on the track. Being I missed out on that race, it gave me a entire day to hang out learn and figure out exactly how it all worked. I asked a ton of questions throughout the day. It made a huge difference. 3 years later, I was un-touchable at the track in 8th scale. I won every club race and pretty much all the big events the track hosted. MANY years later, I have since retired from racing. The cost to go FAST was killing my wallet. LOL

Again, have fun with it. It's a great hobby to be in and most are very helpful at the tracks I've been too so I'm sure it's no different at Willcott. Matter of fact, Find Mark Chrisman or Kelby Roberts and tell them Greg H told you to MAKE them help you. LOL They'll get a good laugh I'm sure. Those 2 guys excelled faster then any person I've ever met getting started. Now they are some of the fastest in the region!

good luck and have fun.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Chris RC says 2 rounds but this might be at the track HE races at. The norm is 3 5min rounds. Mains vary from 5-60 minutes. Chances are, Willcott runs 3 rounds and 7-20min mains.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

its gonna be a exciting day cause its ur 1st day of race ,just stay calm,relax watch the race format & u will learn from there but make sure everything is ready ur truck , i mean all ur batts. igniter must be fully charge & etc .........anyway if ur faster than the other guy n then u got to past it ,i would say drive SMOOTH as possible so that you can FINISH THE RACE & thats the important....... hope it helps ,good luck & have fun w/ new friends & of course w/ ur father
Old 03-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

great guys thanks this is very helpful and is calming me down a bit. I am excited!! Any more info is welcome!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GregH
Chris RC says 2 rounds but this might be at the track HE races at. The norm is 3 5min rounds. Mains vary from 5-60 minutes. Chances are, Willcott runs 3 rounds and 7-20min mains.
Yea probably.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.