Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
SC8 wheels coming off... >

SC8 wheels coming off...

SC8 wheels coming off...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default SC8 wheels coming off...

Hey everyone, just got my SC8 about 2 weeks ago and the weather is finally starting to warm up. Got my break in finished and went to the backyard track at my friends house.

During the second tank of running it on the track the left rear wheel just came off while I was in a turn . I figured, eh..it's a freak thing and didn't worry about it and put the wheel back on and continued on my merry.

Went there last weekend and the same thing happens but this time on the left front wheel ! I'm not beating the hell out of it and there's only one jump on the track, so what in the world is going on. I put the tire back on and finished driving through what fuel was left in the tank. Took it back down to the house and took both left side wheels off, added some blue loctite and put them back on.

Is anyone else having a problem like this and what did you do? I mean there's not a lot of thread to hold these wheels on it seems but still, it's brand new! Any help or info is appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Joekr
Hey everyone, just got my SC8 about 2 weeks ago and the weather is finally starting to warm up. Got my break in finished and went to the backyard track at my friends house.

During the second tank of running it on the track the left rear wheel just came off while I was in a turn . I figured, eh..it's a freak thing and didn't worry about it and put the wheel back on and continued on my merry.

Went there last weekend and the same thing happens but this time on the left front wheel ! I'm not beating the hell out of it and there's only one jump on the track, so what in the world is going on. I put the tire back on and finished driving through what fuel was left in the tank. Took it back down to the house and took both left side wheels off, added some blue loctite and put them back on.

Is anyone else having a problem like this and what did you do? I mean there's not a lot of thread to hold these wheels on it seems but still, it's brand new! Any help or info is appreciated, thanks!

You did the right thing, you have to loc tite everythig that is metal to metal, I loctite every screw on my rides. Just loc tite and drive it like you stole it.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

had the same thing happen on my rc8 just get the ft blue nyloc nuts
part # asc89094 a main hobbies has them 5.09 for two and
thats it all done
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Weird. The nuts on mine are nyloc. I still lock tighted them after I installed them, like mentione before. just because its RTR doesnt mean its ready to run
Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I run these on EVERYTHING!

They're one of those little secrets that work extremely well and a LOT of folks quietly use them!

HPI 17mm Wheel Nuts
Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default Snug them before each run...

I alway make it a habit to snug up the wheel nuts before each run. I have an RC8 with the nyloc wheels nuts and have had them fall off during runs if I haven't tightened them in the last two or three runs (usually at the worst possible moment )

Yea I could locktite them, but giving them a light snug is a good insurance policy to keep them from falling off during a run and a good habit to get into. Any metal-to-metal screws always run a risk of loosening with all the vibration going on with the car....
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris K
I run these on EVERYTHING!

They're one of those little secrets that work extremely well and a LOT of folks quietly use them!

HPI 17mm Wheel Nuts
+1 these are what they use on the D8. never had a wheel even come partially loose
Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Gonna try them....

Hmmmm....I just ordered me a set of those and will try them out. Noticed that knurling on the nut that should grip the wheel nice and tight. Pretty cheap too!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by n10cities
Hmmmm....I just ordered me a set of those and will try them out. Noticed that knurling on the nut that should grip the wheel nice and tight. Pretty cheap too!
sometimes they are even a little tough to get off!
there is no possible way that they will come off on their own.
that knurling really helps out.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Sweet, thanks Chris K. I will definitely pick up a set of those and at that price it's even better.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by karnao
sometimes they are even a little tough to get off!
there is no possible way that they will come off on their own.
that knurling really helps out.
sometimes i have to use my cordless impact gun to get them off!