Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Muggy question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Losi Muggy question

Just wondering if any one is having problems with the Clutch bearings? I go through several sets of clutch bearings a summer, they seem to dry up and fail very fast. I am running a 12T vented bell, with the stock 427, and I am using the Tuggy wheels/tiers for better acceleration/handling and less stress on the drive train. I have other nitro trucks and I only seem to have to replace their bearings once they have worn out. Are there better bearing I could get? I am using the stock Losi replacement bearings each time. Any idea's?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DHC6
Just wondering if any one is having problems with the Clutch bearings? I go through several sets of clutch bearings a summer, they seem to dry up and fail very fast. I am running a 12T vented bell, with the stock 427, and I am using the Tuggy wheels/tiers for better acceleration/handling and less stress on the drive train. I have other nitro trucks and I only seem to have to replace their bearings once they have worn out. Are there better bearing I could get? I am using the stock Losi replacement bearings each time. Any idea's?
Several sets per summer seems like normal wear to me. You need to replace/check those regularly anyway. I would reccomend Amain hobbies Protek bearings. you get a roll of 10 for $10. that way you can just change them regularly. I don't know if they will last longer than stock but they are cheap so you can change em atleast every month.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

what size bearings with that 12th?

Look into the obvious things....

Make sure the lash on the clutch bell is not to tight.

Make sure the mesh is not to tight.

Make sure the engine is not sitting at an angle.

Also, what clutch do ya run? Some setups cause a lot of slipping in return making heat that can fail bearings.

But several sets over a summer don;t seem like to much.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Not sure what size, it's the stock bearings that come with the truck. I am using the Losi aluminum clutch shoes with the Losi 12T vented bell. It was worse with the stock bell, but it seems to have gotten a little better with the vented bell. Mesh seems to be good, but I will double check to make sure the engine is not cocked to one side more then another. Just seemed like excessive ware, they seem to last about a gallon.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DHC6
Not sure what size, it's the stock bearings that come with the truck. I am using the Losi aluminum clutch shoes with the Losi 12T vented bell. It was worse with the stock bell, but it seems to have gotten a little better with the vented bell. Mesh seems to be good, but I will double check to make sure the engine is not cocked to one side more then another. Just seemed like excessive ware, they seem to last about a gallon.
A gallon in my book isn't considered that bad but if the wear has gotten better with the vented bell I would guess your problem is heat. What kind of springs are you using and how new is the clutch setup? The bearings are probably standard 5x10mm bearings.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I switched to ceramic bearings for our muggy. 5X10X4 is the size. Use a light spring so the clutch doesn't slip alot and cause excess heat. Muggy is a heavy vehicle, bearings won't last long anyway. Try www.answer-rcusa.com for some high quality bearings that have alot of longevity.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Adept

5x10, that's right. I have always assumed it was heat, but didn't think about softer springs. That would probably help, I always found it slipped a bit much for my taste. So I will give the softer springs and find some ceramic bearings. I agree the Muggy is not the lightest of trucks, but other then that I have had no real problems with the truck. It did get better with the vented bell, it was much worse, half a gallon maybe, 2 or 3 outings to the track. Now its better. I will give those solutions a try. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The muggy is way overgeared. Even with the 12t bell and truggy tires, go with a 48t 8ight spur gear. That will help. You will have to do a little grinding to get it to clear the chassis.
That along with the softer springs and you will be fine.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, good I wasn't sure if the Truggy spur could fit. I agree I always felt it was over geared, and that's was the big reason for the 12T and the Truggy tires. I will give the Truggy spur a try with the other solutions.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only true fix for the muggy clutch problem is 17mm hubs, truggy tires,12tooth vented bell and a fioroni twin turbo clutch. I tried all kinds of different 3 shoe set ups dynamite carbon, ofna, losi etc and softer springs. It would still cook the bearings. The fioroni turbo slider fixes the problem. On my sons muggy I change the bearings about every gallon not because the bearings failed but preventative maint, the shoes last 3-4 gallons and replace the springs aprox every 2-3 gallons.