Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What buggy should I get? >

What buggy should I get?

What buggy should I get?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What buggy should I get?

I know that this comes up often...

So I was looking at the Redcat Backdraft 3.5 1/8th scale buggy. I know people have mixed feelings about the Redcat. Im not looking to go into racing just looking for something that I can bash around with. I have a 1/10th scale NTC3 from Team Associated. I love the car I just want something more offroad so I dont have to worry about hitting bumps everytime I wanna drive it.

I've heard stories of people not being able to buy parts for the Redcat. I was at my LHS the other day and I noticed they had a 1/10th scale Redcat buggy, but i didnt ask if they had parts for them.

So anyone have any suggestions? Im not really looking to spend more the $300 on a buggy. I also looked at the Redat hurricane 1/8th scale. Its a little more expensive than the Backdraft just wondering if its better.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well.....redcat is a good way to get started as long as your mechanicaly inclined due to the fact that your guarenteed to break something new on almost a weekly basis....the up side to them (from what i've heard) is that their customer service ranks right up there with the best of them....
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Prophet

i would just gave that redcat buggy away to be honest and get a 1/8 ofna rtr buggy thats around $300 to $400.

and they are a tank strong wise i know !
Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

+1 to ofna....they'll take a woop'n!!!! another to think about would be the thunder tiger eb4 S2....all right around the $300 mark
Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by hustler777
+1 to ofna....they'll take a woop'n!!!! another to think about would be the thunder tiger eb4 S2....all right around the $300 mark

yea, actually i was starting to think that and i think it whould be better for Philly to get that the parts and quality are pretty simlar to "team associated" 1/8 buggy/truggy" and its easy as hell to get parts for everywhere.

thats a good buggy from what ive heard .
Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the insite guys...im gonna look into those buggies

I guess ill pass on the redcat and I was looking into the OFNA Hyper 7..priced around 270 looks like a sick buggy

Last edited by philly101; 05-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by philly101
Thanks for the insite guys...im gonna look into those buggies

I guess ill pass on the redcat and I was looking into the OFNA Hyper 7..priced around 270 looks like a sick buggy

the, hyper 7 is not a bad buggy for bashing espially although it is easyer to find parts for the "thunder tiger eb4 1/8 buggy" and the parts are cheaper and the quality isnt bad i have a rc8t ce and the parts are somewhat simlar.

are you from philadelphia theres a good offroad track not far from there ?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

You would be better off to buy a rally conversion for your tc3 then getting the redcat anything.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tc5 man
the, hyper 7 is not a bad buggy for bashing espially although it is easyer to find parts for the "thunder tiger eb4 1/8 buggy" and the parts are cheaper and the quality isnt bad i have a rc8t ce and the parts are somewhat simlar.

are you from philadelphia theres a good offroad track not far from there ?
Nah im from Ny lol

I think Im gonna get the Hyper 7 I was looking at some of the pictures of the buggy and the quality looks better than the redcat. Plus bigger engine, but it only has a one speed. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. But I could always get the two speed for it later down the road.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by philly101
Nah im from Ny lol

I think Im gonna get the Hyper 7 I was looking at some of the pictures of the buggy and the quality looks better than the redcat. Plus bigger engine, but it only has a one speed. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. But I could always get the two speed for it later down the road.
If you ever take it to a track or even just off-road you will want to stick with a single speed.

Pretty much anybody on here will advise you not to get the redcat. The only Chinese buggy I'd even consider is Caster, but their quality and parts availability isn't really the greatest either. The advantage is they can be upgraded with a lot of Mugen parts. Ofna is usually pretty good from the guys I know that have had them. Not the best durability on the market, but for the price range maybe.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default I have the same question, different approach.

okay, here's another question... i'm looking to get into 8th scale nitro. I started racing indoor 10th scale last year and i'm hooked on rc. I've had a hand full of different vehicles and prefer the kyosho brand for it's awesome balance of characteristics. (good steering/good rear traction)

Since i'm not going to spend 9 hundo on an mp9, what other brands to people suggest? I haven't decided between buggy or truggy and i really don't want to buy and sell the 8th scale's like i did with the 10th scales.

I'm only interested in racing and parts availability isn't a big deal to me. I'd rather buy extra parts then race something i don't enjoy. (i did that already). Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Ive got a question also...

Now I'm prolly gonna order the Hyper 7 within a few days, should I get a battery pack for the servo? Ive heard that buggies take up a lot of juice and using AA batteries isnt sufficient enough. Also anything else I would need besides the obvious (Nitro fuel, glow plug, etc)
Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

im no longer interested in nitro but if i was i would buy used. nitro are hard to sell and you can get some awesome deals. iv seen 4-5 like new buggies for sale on here for less than 200 bucks with no bites
Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

philly- you deffinatly wanna get a rechargable reciever pack.....

as far as looking for a race buggy (and not paying 900+ for just a kit) look into the caster 1.5r....parts are EASY to come by here in the states and their quality is right up there with every other buggy on the market (and the parts are cheaper!!!) casterracingusa.com is the website to look them up....other than that, i'm sure almost anything out on the market is cheaper (money wise) that the mighty KY buggy.....hope this helps
Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trick25
im no longer interested in nitro but if i was i would buy used. nitro are hard to sell and you can get some awesome deals. iv seen 4-5 like new buggies for sale on here for less than 200 bucks with no bites
so are outdoor tracks primarily running electric now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.