Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
ENGINE PROB, STUMPED >

ENGINE PROB, STUMPED

ENGINE PROB, STUMPED

Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ENGINE PROB, STUMPED

i have an Axe and i ahve blown the engine 4 times. it is still running well to an extent. when i start it it will go very well at low and mid RPM but when it starts to get to the top end it sputters and stalls. it is not to learn (smoke cloud coming out of pipe). this has got me stumped
please help!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
dane
Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cluffy1
i have an Axe and i ahve blown the engine 4 times. it is still running well to an extent. when i start it it will go very well at low and mid RPM but when it starts to get to the top end it sputters and stalls. it is not to learn (smoke cloud coming out of pipe). this has got me stumped
please help!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
dane
Dude good luck with that axe.I Had one that was a complete pos.That thing would never ever run right and i never raced it one time.It broke in ok but you could not get the thing to run unless it was puke rich.This thing had no air leaks and i tried diferent carb plugs pipes clutches fuel tanks fuel line shiming the head diferent fuel brands and after all that it is a very nice paper weight.It rely pisses me off big time.You will have guys come on hear and say that these motors are great and they love them.But i think some are ok and some are pos.Iv been doing this a wile now and never had a engine give me trouble like this thing.What a waste of money.Mine would run ok for few laps but would get hoter and hoter no mater how much you richend it till it would be so rich it just could not get out of its own way.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had one that acted exactly the same as what was described above. I just sold it to a guy who claims that he got it up and running by adding .02mm of shims. It had been a while since I messed with it but I could have swore I tried that before. Anyway it is worth a shot. Oh I was running 30% by the way and apparently they are not shimmed for that from the factory.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by matrixmike28
I had one that acted exactly the same as what was described above. I just sold it to a guy who claims that he got it up and running by adding .02mm of shims. It had been a while since I messed with it but I could have swore I tried that before. Anyway it is worth a shot. Oh I was running 30% by the way and apparently they are not shimmed for that from the factory.
I think he is pulling your chain i tried adding shims and did not help.The motor was tight but as it got hot you would think it was worn out but it was still real tight.It would never flame out and would just keep getting hot as hell.Man i would tune this thing and think i got it its running great plenty of smoke good power untill you see the temps ready to hit 300 and shut it down and start thinking what else can i try to make this thing run.Its a shame the motor looks well made its nice to look at and the internals look very nice too.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BeefHead
I think he is pulling your chain i tried adding shims and did not help.The motor was tight but as it got hot you would think it was worn out but it was still real tight.It would never flame out and would just keep getting hot as hell.Man i would tune this thing and think i got it its running great plenty of smoke good power untill you see the temps ready to hit 300 and shut it down and start thinking what else can i try to make this thing run.Its a shame the motor looks well made its nice to look at and the internals look very nice too.
If it's running good, ignore the temps. For all you know your tempgun could be wrong.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
If it's running good, ignore the temps. For all you know your tempgun could be wrong.
Exergen temp gun its the best.Sorry but 300 F. is not going to cut it.No engine should run that hot and i dont think it would even stop at 300.This thing would hit that temp in about 3 min. so no way you could race that thing like that.This thing puking out smoke and running 300.Ive seen motors hit 270 on very hot humid days at the end of a long main with a almost empty tank.But for me 265 is the very hotest i would ever accept running a motor.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BeefHead
Exergen temp gun its the best.Sorry but 300 F. is not going to cut it.No engine should run that hot and i dont think it would even stop at 300.This thing would hit that temp in about 3 min. so no way you could race that thing like that.This thing puking out smoke and running 300.Ive seen motors hit 270 on very hot humid days at the end of a long main with a almost empty tank.But for me 265 is the very hotest i would ever accept running a motor.
Touche, i didn't know you were using an exergen.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

There are a variety of things it could be and without running it myself it would be hard to guess but I can give you a cheap idea to try. Lets pretend the engine is good all around and there is no damage or anything else that would keep it from performing properly. If you are absolutely sure that the engine is not to lean and has plenty of fuel everywhere and it only sputters and stalls in the mid to high end transition, the first thing I would try is to increase the temp range of the plug and run something on the hotter side. Sometimes the colder plugs work well most of the time but once in awhile you will find they cannot burn enough of the charge and as more and more fuel is pushed into the chamber, the plug gradually cools off to the point it is no longer hot enough to ignite the mixture and the engine will rich gurgle and flame out. If this is the actual problem, the engine will usually do this about 75 feet out of a corner or about half way down a straightaway. A hotter will usually cure that unless there is something else going on. A hotter plug can also do this but usually happens when the bottom end is too rich and when you intially get on the gas, the engine will flame from excess fuel entering the chamber and cooling the filament too much between strokes causing a similar senerio but this will usually happen after a fill up or if you let the engine idle a little too long and try to jump in it right away without giving the engine a chance to slowly clear out. Hopefully this helps and if it doesn't solve your issue, send it in and I will have a look see.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
There are a variety of things it could be and without running it myself it would be hard to guess but I can give you a cheap idea to try. Lets pretend the engine is good all around and there is no damage or anything else that would keep it from performing properly. If you are absolutely sure that the engine is not to lean and has plenty of fuel everywhere and it only sputters and stalls in the mid to high end transition, the first thing I would try is to increase the temp range of the plug and run something on the hotter side. Sometimes the colder plugs work well most of the time but once in awhile you will find they cannot burn enough of the charge and as more and more fuel is pushed into the chamber, the plug gradually cools off to the point it is no longer hot enough to ignite the mixture and the engine will rich gurgle and flame out. If this is the actual problem, the engine will usually do this about 75 feet out of a corner or about half way down a straightaway. A hotter will usually cure that unless there is something else going on. A hotter plug can also do this but usually happens when the bottom end is too rich and when you intially get on the gas, the engine will flame from excess fuel entering the chamber and cooling the filament too much between strokes causing a similar senerio but this will usually happen after a fill up or if you let the engine idle a little too long and try to jump in it right away without giving the engine a chance to slowly clear out. Hopefully this helps and if it doesn't solve your issue, send it in and I will have a look see.
Man this thing has got so hot so many times i dont think its worth messing with.But i tried all there plugs and even added head shims and every pipe i could find and installed a nova carb.Man i think i tried every thing you can try.Man i know you know your stuff so let me dig around in my junk and see if i can find all the parts to it.Ill put it back together and send it to you but its prob. to f&*$#&d now to be any good.I would pinch it and put a rod in it if i knew it would run.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

hey guyys thanks for the off topic soutions LOL
it ran well for about 7 months (never famed out, plenty of power, everything perfect) but as soon as someone changed the tune it went to crap and never ran properly agian. and now i am getting a new X2 evo and a sport to replace my 10 month old standard cobra. is there anything that i can do to make this engine run. it is just the higher end on the RPM range that i am having problems with. have tryed shiming.

thanks
dane
Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Check for airleaks and seal with silicone.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

have done this and sealed it. still will not run properly

thanks
dane