Picco .12 Motor break-in help >

Picco .12 Motor break-in help

Picco .12 Motor break-in help

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default Picco .12 Motor break-in help

Ok. So Bought a brand new Picco .12 motor for my CRT.5
Read the very brief instructions. Simpl says run the motor at low RPM's for 10-20 for break in. Ok so it's not like a .21 motor.

Here is the deal, hit it on the bump box fired up sweet turned the idle down and putted around for about 8 mins in the street. Company came over and had to shut off, went back outside about 15mins later fired it up did the same thing RX pack died and the throttle went wide for about 4sec (luckily I was holding the car)

Ok now the problem. Seems as though the damn piston is so tight in the sleeve that it get's stuck, The bump boxes works to move it but it cant. I have to free it with my hand them bam it would spin over and get stuck. After a few tries it seems I fried the motors in my losi bump box. I bought the ofna mini box but did not set-it up yet. So 20mins later the ofna box is set and the motor is now so flooded that gas is pouring out the exhaust and I didn't have a very storng batt:

So the main question is this normal during engine break in? This is the first time I have broken a engine in. Any help?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Take the glow plug out and pinch the fuel line and run for a few sec on the bump box to clear out the fuel. Put the glow plug back in and hit the motor with a heat gun or hair dryer( if using a hair dryer let it sit pointed at the crankcase for 5-10min) should fire right up. Need to get that thing warm to loosen up the pinch to u can get it spinning fast enough to start.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by VenturaDC
Take the glow plug out and pinch the fuel line and run for a few sec on the bump box to clear out the fuel. Put the glow plug back in and hit the motor with a heat gun or hair dryer( if using a hair dryer let it sit pointed at the crankcase for 5-10min) should fire right up. Need to get that thing warm to loosen up the pinch to u can get it spinning fast enough to start.
So that tight of pinch is normal even in a .12 motor?

How long till that pinch wears down?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome
So that tight of pinch is normal even in a .12 motor?

How long till that pinch wears down?
Yes; they're tight and take almost as much time as a .21 sometimes.

Expect to run AT LEAST 10 tanks (based on a 75cc tank) before you see any real improvement.

Using a hair dryer or heat gun will GREATLY help with starting it between cool downs.

I generally keep mine running for the first two tanks before shutting them off so they'll be easier to start throughout the process instead of stopping shortly after the first fire off.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

make sure its bdc when everything cools (bdc=bottom dead center)
Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Alright Broke out the heat gun today and got the little turd fired up. Im just blown away at how tight the pinch is. I ran 2 more tanks nonstop through it and it's still a tight little bastard

Looks like I also burned too much rubber off my ofna mini box trying to start this sucker.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you need to put some rpms on the engine beacuse if your just ilding then your not going to take out that tight taper when the piston gets to the top, it's like when you just start the exercise you need to start out mellow a few times before you start to do hard workout or you stress your self out, it;s the same way with the engine if you want to last, give it few rips of rpm's to clear out the smoke and a couple more to hear it girgle to pass fuel, smoke should always be there when you break-in I get to 4 tanks before I go on the road and that will still be driving at low rpm's till I get to 8 tanks then start leaning for optimums tunes conservatively when you have drop a 1/4 gallon of fuel then I would start to tune hard for full performance.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by -R2-
you need to put some rpms on the engine beacuse if your just ilding then your not going to take out that tight taper when the piston gets to the top, it's like when you just start the exercise you need to start out mellow a few times before you start to do hard workout or you stress your self out, it;s the same way with the engine if you want to last, give it few rips of rpm's to clear out the smoke and a couple more to hear it girgle to pass fuel, smoke should always be there when you break-in I get to 4 tanks before I go on the road and that will still be driving at low rpm's till I get to 8 tanks then start leaning for optimums tunes conservatively when you have drop a 1/4 gallon of fuel then I would start to tune hard for full performance.
I basically fired it up and let it idle for a few and just blipped the throttle for a few times, then set it out on the ground and just cruised it around for the first 3 tanks. After about the 4th tank I started to drive it a little more. Seems to start up pretty easy now. Funny how the book says just run it for 10mins to break it in