Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New shock absorber coming from the US.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Vaporware until something solid gets posted.

"insider" testimony does nothing for me.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default huh

tex where are the pics at that were supposed to be out around silver state is there complications with production of these so called magical schocks or is it that someone else has already patented the same idea so that you cant hopefully you will have something to show us sooner or later
Old 05-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bradfox2
Vaporware until something solid gets posted.

"insider" testimony does nothing for me.
totally agree on that one..a couple of pics would ease the pain

im going to get ten of my mates to back me up on the new square wheels ive been developing..they all agree they are the shizz!

i have faith..but faith only takes you so far.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, to answer a few of the things people have mentioned:

They are "progressive" in a way. (i.e. position sensitive...)

The delay is probably that the order they go together for the "proof of concept" prototypes and the production ones is different. The prototypes used existing shocks with SOME of the functional differences added. The production shocks will be complete units (in other words, shock bodies/caps/all internals. The prototypes don't have the external adjustability of the production ones- you have to take them apart to make the changes to the setup. The production shocks will have some external adjustments that simply are not possible using "stock" parts to prove the concept.

I've watched cars go around the track with these (prototype) shocks on them vs. ones with "stock" shocks. The difference is night and day! They are absolutely NOT "vaporware," and they are going to rock the RC world. Cars running these simple glide over the bumps because they can be set up to the ideal spring and shock rates, but at the same time "chassis slap" from bottoming out is virtually eliminated. They let you tune the shocks for ideal handling instead of tuning them to prevent bottoming on big jumps and blown out tracks.

They're simple in concept, but execution of a simple concept isn't always as simple as the idea itself... I really, honestly wish I could say more... but I promised not to reveal the method used. Just be patient, the wait will be worth it.

I absolutely WILL have a set of these.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Ok, to answer a few of the things people have mentioned:

They are "progressive" in a way. (i.e. position sensitive...)

The delay is probably that the order they go together for the "proof of concept" prototypes and the production ones is different. The prototypes used existing shocks with SOME of the functional differences added. The production shocks will be complete units (in other words, shock bodies/caps/all internals. The prototypes don't have the external adjustability of the production ones- you have to take them apart to make the changes to the setup. The production shocks will have some external adjustments that simply are not possible using "stock" parts to prove the concept.

I've watched cars go around the track with these (prototype) shocks on them vs. ones with "stock" shocks. The difference is night and day! They are absolutely NOT "vaporware," and they are going to rock the RC world. Cars running these simple glide over the bumps because they can be set up to the ideal spring and shock rates, but at the same time "chassis slap" from bottoming out is virtually eliminated. They let you tune the shocks for ideal handling instead of tuning them to prevent bottoming on big jumps and blown out tracks.

They're simple in concept, but execution of a simple concept isn't always as simple as the idea itself... I really, honestly wish I could say more... but I promised not to reveal the method used. Just be patient, the wait will be worth it.

I absolutely WILL have a set of these.
i was hoping they would be speed sensitive, not position sensitive. I can think of a number of ways to vary damping based on the position of the shaft. But I would love to see variable damping based on speed. Try googling ricor shocks. I read these dominated the dakkar rally for years until they were outlawed. Now the patented technology is licensed for some commercial shocks. Too bad the idea is patented, i would love to see an application like this in RC.

Nevertheless, I think there's lots of room for improvement in shock technology in RC. This new shock Tex is coming out with sounds like a winner.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm very interested in the shocks as well, of course. I've given up on hoping for them though. Hopefully these shocks don't turn into the "O'Donnell Joke" of 2009.

"Two more weeks..."
Old 05-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

or 2010

any news yet..before i lay my money down on the italian ones??
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

I would hold off, and if any of you actually knows who Tex really is and his impact on the Paintball world you would know to expect the best and if they aren't here yet there is a damn good reason, but they will get here when the time is right and everything is up to Tex's standards.

I haven't personally met Tex yet at the track, but I have seen the shocks in action on an XRay with a fellow drive at Indy, and they are extremely dialed.

I heard somewhere that Tex is the creative mind behind the "Halo" system in paintball. With that said anyone that plays knows what impact this has made on the paintball world, and I would put everything I have on a bet that these shocks will do the same thing for RC.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
I would hold off, and if any of you actually knows who Tex really is and his impact on the Paintball world you would know to expect the best and if they aren't here yet there is a damn good reason, but they will get here when the time is right and everything is up to Tex's standards.

I haven't personally met Tex yet at the track, but I have seen the shocks in action on an XRay with a fellow drive at Indy, and they are extremely dialed.

I heard somewhere that Tex is the creative mind behind the "Halo" system in paintball. With that said anyone that plays knows what impact this has made on the paintball world, and I would put everything I have on a bet that these shocks will do the same thing for RC.
What he said. Tex doesn't mess around- when he designs something, it is RIGHT. And yes, he has several patents related to paintball...
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have seen the shocks in action on an XRay with a fellow drive at Indy, and they are extremely dialed.
That's great and all, but if they never reach production, then they don't do anybody any good other than the ones that got the prototypes.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

What my post was meant to convey is that you can trust they will be here.

From what I understand Tex will only put something out once he has everything in place to protect him and his designs from people out there you aren't creative, but want to find a get rich quick solution and copy someone else.

If I put this much work into something that can be considered a "game changer" I would want to take every step possible to make sure no rips me off, and if they do I would be able to lay the hammer down.

You can bet once they are released with the steps Tex is taking to protect himself these shocks will "only" be avaliable through Tex or the production company he uses for the final product.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It doesn't matter how much time he puts into protecting himself, the Chinese will copy it anyway...
Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCmayor
It doesn't matter how much time he puts into protecting himself, the Chinese will copy it anyway...
Which means they might be able to sell copies in some parts of the world... but not anywhere that has reciprocity on patents... and certainly not in the US.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by razo125
i was hoping they would be speed sensitive, not position sensitive. I can think of a number of ways to vary damping based on the position of the shaft. But I would love to see variable damping based on speed. Try googling ricor shocks. I read these dominated the dakkar rally for years until they were outlawed. Now the patented technology is licensed for some commercial shocks. Too bad the idea is patented, i would love to see an application like this in RC.

Nevertheless, I think there's lots of room for improvement in shock technology in RC. This new shock Tex is coming out with sounds like a winner.
I dont think anyone has patented the shocks for RC so Im sure the ideas can be used.

And they may not be able to sell them to US distributors, but internet shops cant really be stopped by patents, or it will be very difficult!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

O'donnell must be developing these shocks

No seriously though, very interested to see the finished product so uhh....keep "it" up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.