Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Using a bump start? HELP >

Using a bump start? HELP

Using a bump start? HELP

Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default Using a bump start? HELP

I jsut baught an OFNA bump start. I am going to be using it for my OFNA ld3, losi 8 and traxxas rustler. the rustler has pull start, 8 has spin starter, and ld3 has the electric starter. Do I need to do anything to the motors to be able to use them? one way bearings?????
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Losi 8 won't work on the starter box unless you remove the spin-start and replace it with the Sportworks backplate AND get the Losi Race Roller engine mounts or some other aftermarket engine mount:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9001

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4331

You most likely won't be able to use any alignment pins because all those cars are so different that you'll have to line them up by hand.

The Rustlers flywheel isn't even oriented in the same direction as the other two so it probably won't work at all unless you wanna be taking the motor out of the starterbox and remounting it every time. And that's assuming you have a "universal" starter box and not the blue OFNA "truggy" box.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The losi 8 with the spin start sits higher, the engine mount lifts the motor up so the spin start fits so a starter box wheel will not hit the flywheel, unless you remove the spin start for a backplate as KB stated
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by K_B
Losi 8 won't work on the starter box unless you remove the spin-start and replace it with the Sportworks backplate AND get the Losi Race Roller engine mounts or some other aftermarket engine mount:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9001

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4331

You most likely won't be able to use any alignment pins because all those cars are so different that you'll have to line them up by hand.

The Rustlers flywheel isn't even oriented in the same direction as the other two so it probably won't work at all unless you wanna be taking the motor out of the starterbox and remounting it every time. And that's assuming you have a "universal" starter box and not the blue OFNA "truggy" box.

Cant I take the one way bearing out of the rustler?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1
Cant I take the one way bearing out of the rustler?
Yes I see what your saying. I have to change the wheel to the other slot... When I sit the losi on there the wheel touches the flywheel, still wont work?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

So for the 8, it is either spin start or bump.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 PM
K_B
Tech Master

If the starter wheel touches, then you might be ok. Just gonna have to try it and see.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by K_B
If the starter wheel touches, then you might be ok. Just gonna have to try it and see.

Ok so I wont break any bearings in the back plate as long as the wheel spins the same as the shaft on spin start?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Um... never really messed with the spin/pullstarts but I don't think you should have any issues because the spin start machanism should be isolated thanks to the oneway bearing.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1
Ok so I wont break any bearings in the back plate as long as the wheel spins the same as the shaft on spin start?
I just converted my 8t to bump box. You can get the race roller engine mounts on ebay for like 5 to 7 bucks and then the sportwerks back plate like the other guy said. Then you'll be good to go with the ofna box. Mine works sweet. Way better than the drill.