Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Using a bump start? HELP >

Using a bump start? HELP

Using a bump start? HELP

Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default Using a bump start? HELP

I jsut baught an OFNA bump start. I am going to be using it for my OFNA ld3, losi 8 and traxxas rustler. the rustler has pull start, 8 has spin starter, and ld3 has the electric starter. Do I need to do anything to the motors to be able to use them? one way bearings?????
Hitman Racing 1 is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 PM
  #2  
K_B
Tech Master
iTrader: (70)
 
K_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,458
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Losi 8 won't work on the starter box unless you remove the spin-start and replace it with the Sportworks backplate AND get the Losi Race Roller engine mounts or some other aftermarket engine mount:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9001

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4331

You most likely won't be able to use any alignment pins because all those cars are so different that you'll have to line them up by hand.

The Rustlers flywheel isn't even oriented in the same direction as the other two so it probably won't work at all unless you wanna be taking the motor out of the starterbox and remounting it every time. And that's assuming you have a "universal" starter box and not the blue OFNA "truggy" box.
K_B is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 02:35 PM
  #3  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
JBURCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampton Va
Posts: 626
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The losi 8 with the spin start sits higher, the engine mount lifts the motor up so the spin start fits so a starter box wheel will not hit the flywheel, unless you remove the spin start for a backplate as KB stated
JBURCH is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
  #4  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default

Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Losi 8 won't work on the starter box unless you remove the spin-start and replace it with the Sportworks backplate AND get the Losi Race Roller engine mounts or some other aftermarket engine mount:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9001

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4331

You most likely won't be able to use any alignment pins because all those cars are so different that you'll have to line them up by hand.

The Rustlers flywheel isn't even oriented in the same direction as the other two so it probably won't work at all unless you wanna be taking the motor out of the starterbox and remounting it every time. And that's assuming you have a "universal" starter box and not the blue OFNA "truggy" box.


Cant I take the one way bearing out of the rustler?
Hitman Racing 1 is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default

Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1 View Post
Cant I take the one way bearing out of the rustler?
Yes I see what your saying. I have to change the wheel to the other slot... When I sit the losi on there the wheel touches the flywheel, still wont work?
Hitman Racing 1 is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default

So for the 8, it is either spin start or bump.
Hitman Racing 1 is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
  #7  
K_B
Tech Master
iTrader: (70)
 
K_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,458
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

If the starter wheel touches, then you might be ok. Just gonna have to try it and see.
K_B is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Hitman Racing 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burleson Tx
Posts: 219
Default

Originally Posted by K_B View Post
If the starter wheel touches, then you might be ok. Just gonna have to try it and see.

Ok so I wont break any bearings in the back plate as long as the wheel spins the same as the shaft on spin start?
Hitman Racing 1 is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
  #9  
K_B
Tech Master
iTrader: (70)
 
K_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,458
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Um... never really messed with the spin/pullstarts but I don't think you should have any issues because the spin start machanism should be isolated thanks to the oneway bearing.
K_B is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
  #10  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (23)
 
steve307b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 676
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1 View Post
Ok so I wont break any bearings in the back plate as long as the wheel spins the same as the shaft on spin start?
I just converted my 8t to bump box. You can get the race roller engine mounts on ebay for like 5 to 7 bucks and then the sportwerks back plate like the other guy said. Then you'll be good to go with the ofna box. Mine works sweet. Way better than the drill.
steve307b is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.