R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Racing Techniques (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/280486-racing-techniques.html)

dishsoap 03-05-2009 12:29 AM

Racing Techniques

Hey to all. So my son and I went out to the local track for some practice and I must say it was a humbling experience as this is the first time we spent ample time running the track.

How do you handle the blind spots. I am finding that it is really difficult to judge the angles so that I am square when I hit a jump.

What I am also having a problem with is when I am driving back towards me it is hard to judge the depth of the track while trying to hold a line. This is happening on the turns.

There are times when I hit a jump and end up over the barrier on a different part of the track.

I know a lot of practice has to do with most of this but does anyone have suggestions or things they do to help this. The pros on youtube make it look very easy. Its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone

losi_racer 03-05-2009 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by dishsoap (Post 5512829)
Hey to all. So my son and I went out to the local track for some practice and I must say it was a humbling experience as this is the first time we spent ample time running the track.

How do you handle the blind spots. I am finding that it is really difficult to judge the angles so that I am square when I hit a jump.

What I am also having a problem with is when I am driving back towards me it is hard to judge the depth of the track while trying to hold a line. This is happening on the turns.

There are times when I hit a jump and end up over the barrier on a different part of the track.

I know a lot of practice has to do with most of this but does anyone have suggestions or things they do to help this. The pros on youtube make it look very easy. Its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone

honestly practice, i was the same way but now after many months of racing im getting better at doing it

Merciless 03-05-2009 01:11 AM

AGREED, there's only one answer PRACTICE.

At the track is the best place, although it doesn't need to be your regular venue. Anywhere really. Only thing I'd say is if your yard is big enough to set out some sort of make shift track that works great, But bashing around a field or park in big open spaces doesn't help your spatial awareness which is the aim of all the practice.

Oh be sure to have FUN too !!

Rod

RiverDiver 03-05-2009 01:31 AM

When I have a problem with a blind spot instead of blazing into it I roll through it slow.......better to be on four wheels rollin slow than needing a turn marshall and practice makes perfect. Any extra time you and your son have spent it making laps!

jamiekerr14 03-05-2009 03:41 AM

Yea, another vote for parcatice.. I have only recently started racing/ track use.. and my 1st few visits... I was a bit iffy on all the jumps, now Im pritty solid.. It take time, and practice.. and for your first few visits take it slow, and make sure you start to get consistant.. then slowly speed up.. and get you angles lines right.. it will help you in the long run..

DOMIT 03-05-2009 04:14 AM

I found it VERY helpful to paint my car the brightest color I could... it makes it easier to see what it is doing.

markfanelli 03-05-2009 04:19 AM

One thing I like to do is walk the track. I'll walk the entire track looking for bad spots and different obstacles constantly looking back at the drivers stand to imagine what my view of the car would be. It also helps to roll a lap or two to get the feel for the track.

rcjunky10 03-05-2009 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by RiverDiver (Post 5512944)
When I have a problem with a blind spot instead of blazing into it I roll through it slow.......better to be on four wheels rollin slow than needing a turn marshall and practice makes perfect. Any extra time you and your son have spent it making laps!

+1 on slow rolling through a difficult section on the track. Better to be on all fours than on your lid. You've probably heard it said but it serves repeating "Slow is fast.."

I've been racing a bit over two years now and have finally gotten to where I am able to read/feel/drive the line on most tracks. That being said something I have started trying to do more is to utilize my peripheral vision by not looking directly at my car, but rather focusing on the front most portion of the car. This better enables my mind to process the track as I approach turns/jumps etc...This little tip will pay dividends especially when trying to avoid other cars that are "blocking" your path. We've all seen it happen, a guy is getting on the throttle heading down the straight, while another driver has flipped over, the other guy doesn't see him and BOOM you've got a big 'ole collision and one if not both cars are damaged.

Try it out the next time your on the track and remember to take your time you'll be much faster for it freeing you up to enjoy spending time with your son....Good luck!

omarwashington 03-05-2009 10:05 AM

For me I like to practice in different areas in the track. That means getting down from the stand, either stand at the lower portion or east or west of the track or even in the middle. This gives different views of the track and it really helps me with blind spots

t0adman 03-05-2009 10:21 AM

All these replies are good. When I'm having trouble with a certain section I run it over and over again. Just cut the track and go back and do it again. If you just can't find the right line then practice by rolling through the section on the right line then speed up as you get more consistent. Getting down on the track (in a safe spot) so you can see exactly the line you want to hit can also be helpful. When you can hit it standing right near it go back to the driver's stand and you'll find you're seeing it better.

Also, WATCH THE GOOD DRIVERS! You can either try to find the right line yourself through trial and error or you can sit up on the driver's stand for a few minutes and watch how the fastest drivers take each section. Are they trying to clear the triple or going double single? Are they on the brakes early into a certain section or powering through it?

Finally, have FUN and remember, SLOW is FAST (meaning stay in control and on your wheels and you'll turn much faster laps than if you're going for glory and ending up turtled).

KThatcher 03-05-2009 10:41 AM

Whenever i go to a new track i just try to keep it on all four tires for a couple of tanks..then i try to see where i can push the car and pick up time.. It always better to be consistant.. who cares if you get a fast lap )44 for example) then back it up with one thats 5 seconds slower...ur better off just running 46 seconds laps.. Just my opinion...

dishsoap 03-05-2009 09:04 PM

Thanks for all of the great replies. These will definately help out. I figured as muchthat practice and repetition is the best. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Chris__RC 03-05-2009 09:18 PM

Also, with the pros they do everything to perfection. Droop, ride height, camber and toe in, etc. They always have new tires that they balance. But even with those things, if you suck at driving, you arent going to do much better until you run consistent laps, lap after lap.

WheelNut 03-05-2009 10:29 PM

Try running the track backwards too, even if the jumps aren't built properly for it. That way it is like practicing on two tracks, which will help when you are out there with other cars and will build your perception skills more. You could even lay out a few cones on the track to drive around to increase the amount of adapting you have to do while practicing. Driving with other cars helps too. Getting comfortable behind the wheel in all kinds of situations will make you a better racer rather than just a better fast lapper.

Doughty 03-06-2009 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by markfanelli (Post 5513169)
One thing I like to do is walk the track. I'll walk the entire track looking for bad spots and different obstacles constantly looking back at the drivers stand to imagine what my view of the car would be. It also helps to roll a lap or two to get the feel for the track.

I agree with this!!

also, watch the fast guys as has been said before, but if you can, watch them from the drivers stand, you will see what angle they go through certain sections of the track from your own driving viewpoint.

with regard to jumps, when walking the track, you will see the line you need to hit to connect with the landing zone the other end, then take a look from the drivers stand and see if you can spot any referance points so help you line up the jump from the drivers stand.

and finally, another vote for practise.

enjoy your racing!