Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Starter Box Gel Cell >

Starter Box Gel Cell

Starter Box Gel Cell

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Starter Box Gel Cell

I was wondering the best way to charge a gel cell for a Losi Starter box to make sure there is enough charge. It seems to die down after about 6 starts on the engine. I currently use a Hobbico plug with 2 alligator clips that have very thin wiring but I dont think its getting a full charge. I know you can use stick packs and Lipo conversion but I wanted to get the use out of the gel cell. Thanks in advance
Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBURCH
I was wondering the best way to charge a gel cell for a Losi Starter box to make sure there is enough charge. It seems to die down after about 6 starts on the engine. I currently use a Hobbico plug with 2 alligator clips that have very thin wiring but I dont think its getting a full charge. I know you can use stick packs and Lipo conversion but I wanted to get the use out of the gel cell. Thanks in advance
Those batteries like to be trickle charged for several hours, like your Hobbico is doing. My old battery would die quickly, but it was old and I replaced it. My new one lasts a few days between charges.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can get a charger like the MRC Superbrain 977 or 989 that charges nicd/nimh/lipo/and lead acid/gel cell batteries.

or try going to pep boys or something similar and see what they have for car battery chargers. those will all work ok too.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the comments guys, I have had the Hobbico trickling since last race which was Sunday to sunday, and still the same I leave it plugged in all the time. Pep Boys here I come
Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I just use the Hobbico wall charger with the alligator clips, I get about 2 race days before I recharge it. If those batteries sit for a few months they seem to not take a charge very well
Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

i use a standard car charger. 12V 2AMP over night is more than enough.
i made a connector so that i can use banana plugs with the car charger, its much easier than removing the battery from the box to use alligator clips.
i also put a set of female banana plugs in my ofna truggy box since they dont come standard.
i don't even remember the last time i charged my starter box.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i switched to lipo because of this reason. i had a brand new gel cell that needed charging after a day of racing and at the end the day i was fighting with it to turn a worn out engine to start
Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

I find that using a Gel cell didn't give me enough torque for my starter box. I went to 2 x NiMh. I was using the OFNA truggy box
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

i use the hobbico wall charger also. check you battery, because i get around 5 to 6 race weekends on one charge in a ofna truggy box, and when i do charge it, i just plug it in the night before a race and i'm good to go.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Battery is dead(meaning its time for a new one)... Its time for a new one.... Gel Cells have more than enough power for any starter box. I get joked because my box weighs like 25 lbs.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by underway
Battery is dead(meaning its time for a new one)... Its time for a new one.... Gel Cells have more than enough power for any starter box. I get joked because my box weighs like 25 lbs.
they laugh until their little boxes cant turn over that new motor, then they come running to you
Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default gel cell charging.

I charge both my 12 gel batteries with my auto charger. I usually do this twice a month. They usually only draw about a 5 amp charge for about a half an hour. I have never had one die. Maybe you need to charge longer I have went over a month without charging and still have no problems. I use chrome tops with that huge motor I never have problems.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by underway
The battery is 2 weeks old, possibly I got a bad one. It reads a little over 12 volts now but after about 4 starts of the buggy it drops dramatically to about 2 volts, I take it some cells are bad in the battery guess I will have to get another one.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I use to use a 12v gel cell. I charged it with everything from a standard automotive 12v 2-6 amp charger to a MRC 977 superbrain. The 977 peak charger worked the best. Recently I noticed my 12v gel not lasting a day at the track so I upgraded to a 4s 2200 lipo from losi. I use a Losi box for my 8ight's and I thought the box was going to need new motors and other parts, but after installing the lipo all I can say is wow. Its a little more expensive than the 12v but its 100x lighter, has more power than ever and lasts 2-3 days in between charging. I also purchased a hyperion charger and they are great to work with. I will never use that 12v thing again. It does make a nice paperweight now
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
they laugh until their little boxes cant turn over that new motor, then they come running to you
my starter box can turn over a brand new motor thats barley been broken in with my set up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.