Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
D8 vs RC8 vs X2 >

D8 vs RC8 vs X2

D8 vs RC8 vs X2

Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default D8 vs RC8 vs X2

Ok, I am starting my 1/8th scale nitro buggy career, and I am wondering wich of these cars to start with. These are the 3, Hot Bodies D8, Associated RC8, or a Jammin X2. Ive been in the hobby a long time, but never ran 1/8th gas. Whats the good and bad on each, and wich do you recomend. Please don't bring up any other brand cars because I these 3 are the only ones I am looking at. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Well out of the choices I'd say get the X2

D8 is a good buggy but I've seen a few run and they are one of those buggies that if your new they are a pain

The RC8 I've heard has been having some fuel tank issues

X2 is the only buggy I've heard that hasn't had any problems and I've seen a couple run and they are really consistent

but if I were you I'd get a Losi
Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

See, I knew th "L" word was going to come up. Sure it's the most popular car out there, but I just don't run Losi. It cant look at my car and see that "TL" logo on it and be happy. Plus an new 8ight is a little out of my price range, and I refuse to buy used anymore.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

personally i use to race the Losi 8ight's before the d8 came into the picture. my GF runs my 2.0 right now.

i'm personally a fan of the d8. its strong, agile, responsive. its a very balanced buggy and the price you cant go wrong.

i don't know what Mibracing is saying about "D8 is a good buggy but I've seen a few run and they are one of those buggies that if your new they are a pain"

because the d8 was built for all levels of racers.

i would say the 2.0 is not the easy to maintain. IMO

i race my d8 every weekend in the intermediate class and i do quite well, were just a second and a half shy of the pro times which isn't to bad.

IMO, pick the one that you feel will suit all your needs. LHS support, local racer support, parts, etc.

good luck bud.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

I would love to ask my local racers, but a very similar thread to this one on my local forum turned into personal attacks, and no info came out of it. Plus the would all say to get a Losi. As far as parts, all 3 have a high part availabilty around here. The track I'm going to be running at mostly is going to carry a ton of HB parts, RC8 parts are available just about everywhere, and X2 parts are fairly easy to find around here. By the way, just in case you want to know what typr of track I'm running on, well that's easy. My home tracc is the track that the Worlds were just held on back in September. Formerly called the Farm, now Charlotte RC Motorsports Park.

http://www.charlottercmotorsportspark.com/
Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

In the above you have mentioned the Jammin X2 is the most rock solid car of the bunch. Good handling , no upgrades needed, just a all around good car .
Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would recommend going to a couple of club races at your track and watch the races and attitudes of the racers. Introduce yourself to some of the racers that are running cars that you are thinking of buying. Getting help from racers running the same product as you is a great asset.

Don't let anyone scare you from the RC8 because of the fuel tank issue. I have only had one tank fail on me. As far as I know the issue has been addressed and if you end up traveling to any big races the entire AE team is very helpful and you'll have excellent support.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If you're running on that monster track (Charlotte) then get the HB. It's really stable and while it turns well I think the most important traits a car can have on that track is stability, jumping ability and durability. From the looks of the layouts I've seen there, there's no such thing as a "little crash". It's tough to buy a really bad car these days buy there's some wisdom to everyone locally recommending the Losi. If so many run it you'll always know the best setup and may be able to borrow a part that may not be available right when you need it. If you hate Losis then there's no getting around that.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dead1dave
In the above you have mentioned the Jammin X2 is the most rock solid car of the bunch. Good handling , no upgrades needed, just a all around good car .

+1, and its tough also. The jammin is a point and shoot car..if you drive with finesse and love to tinker with set-ups, and subtle changes..go for the AE
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Twiztid Rock
I would love to ask my local racers, but a very similar thread to this one on my local forum turned into personal attacks, and no info came out of it. Plus the would all say to get a Losi. As far as parts, all 3 have a high part availabilty around here. The track I'm going to be running at mostly is going to carry a ton of HB parts, RC8 parts are available just about everywhere, and X2 parts are fairly easy to find around here. By the way, just in case you want to know what typr of track I'm running on, well that's easy. My home tracc is the track that the Worlds were just held on back in September. Formerly called the Farm, now Charlotte RC Motorsports Park.

http://www.charlottercmotorsportspark.com/
then you have to get the d8 then. ahaha
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Jammin, it was a hard choice, but jammin
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Get the D8, Parts are dirt cheap and everywhere. Its easy to drive, little changes do alot. Easiest build I ever had. There is a great thread on here with average joes to pro's to help you and there is even a guy making custom parts and they are super cheap with awesome quality. If you decide not to go with the D8 get the AE I am not a fan of Jammin stuff.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just remember you get what you pay for, There are a couple of D8's at my local track. Very fast and very affordable. The advise posted previously is solid. My impression of the D8 is it's a little too flexible and the wears a little quickly. I personally prefer Japanese quality for a long term investment. Since Mugen wasn't one of your choices I'd choose whatever your able to support easily parts wise. If it were me I'd probly go Jammmin or Associated. The D8 may be fast but the fit and finish just isn't there for me.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

I've been leaning D8 for a while now cause of the price. I can get on from Tower Hobbies for a very good price with my member discounts. Everything else I own is Associated, my touring cars, 1/18th trucks, my 1/10th truck, so that's why I was thinking RC8. There's also 3 (that I know of, maybe more) Team Associated sponsered drivers in the area. I've heard a lot of people say bad things about the RC8 though, so it scared me off a little. While everything I hav now is AE, I do like HPI, and of course their sister company HB. Had good luck with my Pro 4 and Cyclones as well. Keep the info coming, it has been helpfull so far.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The RC8 blows in my opinion, after a year of running it and struggling every week to find a setup that actually worked. I did have some wins with it, but damn was that car a struggle, always flipping over(RC8 guys know what I am talking about), the steering feel sucked, it didn't jump worth a damn, the (small bore) shocks sucked, they blew out and tore bladders. My friends RC8 was no better, even after the big bores and rear truggy tower conversion, it just still didn't perform the way a good buggy should.

THEN, I finally got into a very good buggy, the D8, it handles so well, the shocks are butter smooth, the diffs are awesome(fluid still clear after nearly a gallon), I broke one cv bone, but have since not had a problem, just keep the setscrew in the cv's tight and you should be fine, other than that I've had no problems and can't say anything else bad with it, it just kicks ass, I am VERY happy with it, and you can't argue with the price for the car or the parts.

I built a X2 for my friend who was running his RC8 for over a year, and in his first qualifier, after only one tank of practice, beat his record heat at the local track by a full 20 seconds! He said after about two minutes into that qualifier "the rc8 is gone, I don't want it anymore". The jammin is a tank and a very nice car, as is the D8. I just cant beleive that he and I handicapped ourselves for that long running those RC8's

Last edited by BIG RE; 03-01-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.