R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   engines engines engines!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/279379-engines-engines-engines.html)

redza 03-01-2009 05:56 AM

engines engines engines!!

okay here we go, if you had the money, which would you pick? the Losi GRP .21 Off-Road "Tuned" Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug) or the Novarossi Plus 21-4 .21 Off Road 4 Port Competition Buggy Engine (Standard Plug)??? give your reasons why :D:D:D

rearviewmirror 03-01-2009 06:11 AM

Do I have to give a reason if my answer is "neither"?

redza 03-01-2009 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror (Post 5494048)
Do I have to give a reason if my answer is "neither"?

why say so?:weird: im planning on buying an engine, so i need to know which is better, sorry for not explaining earlier:sweat::sweat:

n10cities 03-01-2009 06:23 AM

Already been discussed....

.....nm.......

Zerodefect 03-01-2009 06:26 AM

I'd go with the Novarossi +4. Great power, good mileage. Seems to be as easy to tune as my RB. Its supposed to have the same good bearings and conrod RB and Nova are known for. You can upgrade to a turbo head.

I found the "tuned GRP" to be a little down on power/boring. Maybe it needed to have a stiffer clutch. Maybe its was the pipe it came with. Tuned weird. I didn't have any luck with GRP.

redza 03-01-2009 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 5494070)
I'd go with the Novarossi +4. Great power, good mileage. Seems to be as easy to tune as my RB. Its supposed to have the same good bearings and conrod RB and Nova are known for. You can upgrade to a turbo head.

I found the "tuned GRP" to be a little down on power/boring. Maybe it needed to have a stiffer clutch. Maybe its was the pipe it came with. Tuned weird. I didn't have any luck with GRP.

by the looks of the grp, it looks allot lighter than the +4,

jabroni racing 03-01-2009 06:41 AM

Motors are preference.. A lot of people have way to much motor for there driving ability, and tracks they go to.. Myself, i run the orion Crf, and it is A lot of motor.. Ive seen guys run the high end mills, grp tuned, v-spec's, nova plus4 and so on, then get a little 3 port nova bf, or rb 3 port and run faster with it because they can actually drive it better.. The most important thing is your driving, and tunning level before picking a new motor thats to much for you..

Zerodefect 03-01-2009 06:47 AM

A 3 port Nova or RB is hardly a low end motor. The S5 is a great motor to start with. They're about $220 , real close to the +4's price.

The +4 is well below $300. I just go with the higher end motors because they seem more reliable and easier to tune. I never could get a RTR engine to run well. And then there is the extra lifespan Nova and RB are known for.

redza 03-01-2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jabroni racing (Post 5494118)
Motors are preference.. A lot of people have way to much motor for there driving ability, and tracks they go to.. Myself, i run the orion Crf, and it is A lot of motor.. Ive seen guys run the high end mills, grp tuned, v-spec's, nova plus4 and so on, then get a little 3 port nova bf, or rb 3 port and run faster with it because they can actually drive it better.. The most important thing is your driving, and tunning level before picking a new motor thats to much for you..

youve got a point there, sometimes you cant handle the power:sneaky:

losiracer78 03-01-2009 07:09 AM

also i would look at the mugen ninja as well great mill as well

Davidka 03-01-2009 08:01 AM

Don't disregard the non-tuned GRP engine. It's close to the same as the tuned version from what I can tell and these can be had for $219. That's a good price for a high quality european made engine. I would think this engine would be every bit as good as an RB S7 at a lower cost.

redza 03-01-2009 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 5494326)
Don't disregard the non-tuned GRP engine. It's close to the same as the tuned version from what I can tell and these can be had for $219. That's a good price for a high quality european made engine. I would think this engine would be every bit as good as an RB S7 at a lower cost.

hows the ninja and the os ?

Frank L 03-01-2009 09:42 PM

GRP

I have run a GRP tuned .21 in an 8T all last race season. I have had very few problems besides a few tuning issues that turned out to be user error. It has been the best engine I have run so far. I liked it so much that I ordered 2 more from Mark at powerhouseperformance.com, these are modded non tuned versions. Let me just say that Mark's modded version far out performs the tuned version, and for cheaper. Mark is selling them for 280 shipped right now. Check out the powerhouse thread. If you are interested call Mark and chat with him he is a vault of knowledge. No question about it a powerhouse modded GRP has more snap, more horsepower, more torque than the GRP tuned version, and I was getting run times of 11.5 min in an 8T 2.0 the most I ever got out of the tuned version was 10.5. At 11.5 min the tank was not even bone dry. I was using a dynamite 053 pipe. The GRP 2053 pipe needs a long header to open up some of the bottom end. The long header helps out,