Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Official GRP .21 non-tuned off road buggy engine thread! >

Official GRP .21 non-tuned off road buggy engine thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official GRP .21 non-tuned off road buggy engine thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
So how much fuel did anybody else have to run through there motors before they "really" were broken in. I have over a gallon through my non tuned grp and the motor just wont hold a tune.
It still has a lot of pinch but every time I start the motor up it is pig rich and not making any power. I let the motor warm up, retune the carb until the motor runs good but by the time I run the tank low and come in for a refuel it richens right back up! I am not worried about numbers on the temp gun but I do use it for a reference and it seems the motor likes to be happy around 250. I find I am chasing the tune because I have yet to get anything consistent. While I was running the motor in for the first couple of tanks I figured this was acceptable but now that I have over a gallon on it I am starting to get a bit frustrated. The motor does not flame out, it does idle well, and it does have great power when it is in tune but the tune just keeps changing. Also does anyone feel that maybe the bottom end needle is more sensitive than the top or vise versa? Anyones thoughts? The motor is good just cant get it fine tuned yet.
I am on my second gallon of fuel, and the metal pinch was gone right about the gallon mark. It has tons of compression now though. It runs like a top. Idles like a champ, and has plenty of power all around. It has really been this way from the beginning. Yes, the needles on both the Tuned, and Non tuned, are very sensitive. I do all my adjustments in 1/2 hr increments with my GRP's. It sounds like your LSN might be too rich, but really hard to say.
I see in your sig that you are running Sidewinder? Im not going to bash fuels, but I had similar problems when I ran that fuel. I was always chasing a tune, and it was all over the place. I went back to Losi and Byrons, and that was that. Im not saying that that IS the problem, but something to consider.
Mine is running at about the 220-230 range.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
So how much fuel did anybody else have to run through there motors before they "really" were broken in. I have over a gallon through my non tuned grp and the motor just wont hold a tune.
It still has a lot of pinch but every time I start the motor up it is pig rich and not making any power. I let the motor warm up, retune the carb until the motor runs good but by the time I run the tank low and come in for a refuel it richens right back up! I am not worried about numbers on the temp gun but I do use it for a reference and it seems the motor likes to be happy around 250. I find I am chasing the tune because I have yet to get anything consistent. While I was running the motor in for the first couple of tanks I figured this was acceptable but now that I have over a gallon on it I am starting to get a bit frustrated. The motor does not flame out, it does idle well, and it does have great power when it is in tune but the tune just keeps changing. Also does anyone feel that maybe the bottom end needle is more sensitive than the top or vise versa? Anyones thoughts? The motor is good just cant get it fine tuned yet.
I had the same problems at 1st. Temps were higher than what I like yet I was running rich. Around 1.5 gallons the temps suddenly dropped 20 degrees. At that point it could be safely leaned and ran hard without worrying about temp. Between gallons 1.5 and 3 after every few tanks I still had to lean the bottom and richen the top. At around 3 gallons the engine appears to be fully broken in and no longer needs to be touched unless weather conditions change. The GRP .21 non tuned really does hold its own against high end, top dollar mills.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I really think the motor is still breaking in. I have never had a motor that after 1.5 gallons it still has so much metal pinch. I believe this is what is causing my tuning inconsistency.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

I have already sent 2 emails to Horizon about mt engine with no response other than the automated response
Anyone had any dealings w/ them?
My eng has about 3/4 gallon on it (runs good)BUT you can roll the crank around until you feel the compression starting and it pops.....I am almost certain its coming from the crank/con rod insert.When I say pop I mean its a metallic pop,I removed the engine,clutch and all to make sure it wasnt that.Once you hear it ,you can roll the crank back and forth and it does it ,plus you can feel it in the crank.Its hard explaining the exact noise but was curious if anyone else had this issue and also had problems w/ Horrizon??Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

TTT--Anyone