Wiki Posts
Search

removing glued tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Do all of you soak in acetone? Do you buy it in bulk? 1 gallon at Lowes is like $16.
go to a commercial hardware store. 5 gallons is 24 bucks where im from.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by John Schafer
I bake my tires off.
Heat oven to 350. When burner/element shuts off put tires in oven. After about 15 minutes pull them out. Using gloves seperate the tire from the rim. If some areas are still bonded repete procces. Don't know if some of the newer molded foams can handle that much heat but the older cut foams actually come out good as new.

NOTE: If your wing or another plastic part is deformed, you can also place it in the oven and it will return to it's original shape. Boiling them also works.
+2
Used to boil them, but it takes forever.
I replace the foams either way.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

should i soak the whole tire/wheel in acetone or just the bead area? could i just set the tire /wheel on a rack in the bucket of acetone with a lid on it overnight and let the fumes do the work? also will the tire still be ok to reuse , like clay or soft compound tires for example??? thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badjams
should i soak the whole tire/wheel in acetone or just the bead area? could i just set the tire /wheel on a rack in the bucket of acetone with a lid on it overnight and let the fumes do the work? also will the tire still be ok to reuse , like clay or soft compound tires for example??? thanks
I tried acetone with my 10th scale tires. I took forever and actually shrank my clay compound tires.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badjams
i did the acetone thing and all i was able to reuse was the rims. so if u r looking to save the tires this didn't work well for me. it will definitly ruin the foams. if u r looking to save tires, rims or foams boiling is the way to go. u can reuse all three.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Boiling saves all three

I used acetone for the first time a few weeks ago when i had to replace a foam, i filled it up and only about one tire was covered in my can but i figured out that its really the fumes that do most of the work.

So all you have to do is use some sort of SEALING can that can fit your wheels (either that or like 4 small cans it really doesnt matter) and just pour in and let sit for about 24 or 36 hours and they come off pretty gooey but it works REALLY well.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im realy susprised that somebody hasnt made up a type of remover just made for ca glue that totally (dissolves) the glue and only the glue and it dosent take all nite now ive never used the acetone trick but ive done the boiling trick and it didnt work too good i had that tire in there for ever the and i could not get the tire and rim to separate from each other so really didnt know what to do after that i just kind of put the tires away until i try something diffrent
Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Im a VERY messy gluer, so I always have nail polish remover in my grasp whenever I glue my hands together with CA glue. I have never tried this, but would nail polish remove (Losi CA debonder is the same thign right?) the CA glue from the rims?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GregH
Just what he said. I forgot to mention you need to flip the tire. It floats so.....

Boil them and once their off the wheel, clean them up some and your ready to glue them on a different wheel.

When I started racing, I use to try and remove the tires off the wheels. It got to be a major PITA and I would just buy new wheels and tires. Now I have about 100 sets of tires, some still like new, others bald as a babies bottom.

By the way, I don't race anymore so I have all these tires piled in a box. I'll probably toss them in the garbage.
are they buggy tires? i will pay the shipping to take them off your hands lol.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

will boiling tires/wheels warp the wheels?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omarwashington
will boiling tires/wheels warp the wheels?
i've boiled about 10 sets and reused the rims. i have never had a rim warp.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1 quart of Acetone is 6.75 at Wal-mart, pour about 1" in the bottom of a coffee can and put 3 tires in then cover and in a day or two your good as new.
The foams only get ruined from the actual liquid so i raise my rims off the bottom so only the fumes does the work, i've got 2 V3 rimes tires and foams i will be re-glueing tomorrow that i used this method on.
The same Acetone has been used for about 15 tires without having to use anymore so i've actually spent very little money.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by superdave2
im realy susprised that somebody hasnt made up a type of remover just made for ca glue that totally (dissolves) the glue and only the glue and it dosent take all nite now ive never used the acetone trick but ive done the boiling trick and it didnt work too good i had that tire in there for ever the and i could not get the tire and rim to separate from each other so really didnt know what to do after that i just kind of put the tires away until i try something diffrent
Well they cant make anything more powerfull on CA glue then acetone, its the opposite/solvent of CA, the only one
Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
Well they cant make anything more powerfull on CA glue then acetone, its the opposite/solvent of CA, the only one
so the acetone totally dissolves the all of everybit because like i stated above ive never used it before so i dont know if it only takes some of it off or all of it and by raising the tires off the acetone saves the foam but i do have quite a few tires that are junk
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by superdave2
so the acetone totally dissolves the all of everybit because like i stated above ive never used it before so i dont know if it only takes some of it off or all of it and by raising the tires off the acetone saves the foam but i do have quite a few tires that are junk

Well it more or less makes it gooey and unsticky so it just comes off the rim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.