R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   exhaust headers (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/278230-exhaust-headers.html)

ehames005 02-24-2009 09:14 AM

exhaust headers

Ok I've heard alot of different opinions about this so let's get after it,
L headers vs. smooth curve headers? What one produces more of what? torque? top end? fuel milage?

Echelon 02-24-2009 09:31 AM

They say that ] shaped headers smoothen the power.

John Schafer 02-24-2009 11:16 AM

I've been hearing different things also. From what I remember back in the old days, it was a common belief that the longer header produced more bottom end torque and, the shorter header was biased towards top rpm.

Now I'm assuming that the "C" style is a long header and the "]" style is the short header.

John Schafer 02-24-2009 04:53 PM

Anyone else have different information?

TonysScrews 02-25-2009 11:02 AM

It all depends on the engine, pipe and which header you are talking about. There are too many variables to make any general assumptions.

On the Mugen Ninja JX-21 B01A you can see the difference between the C and L type Ninja headers with the Ninja 2042 pipe on the dyno graphs I posted in the JX21 thread.

Echelon 02-25-2009 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by John Schafer (Post 5474566)
I've been hearing different things also. From what I remember back in the old days, it was a common belief that the longer header produced more bottom end torque and, the shorter header was biased towards top rpm.

Now I'm assuming that the "C" style is a long header and the "]" style is the short header.

Can be, but there are also short/medium/long C headers. The same for the ] style.

Mo Denton 02-25-2009 01:08 PM

I always thought the shorter header was more torque???
like when we used to cut a 1/4 inch off of the header on teh nitro tc3 back in the day..
MO

Trevor Williams 02-25-2009 01:20 PM

a short header will provide more top end, a longer header will provide more low end.

Jaz240 02-25-2009 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams (Post 5479797)
a short header will provide more top end, a longer header will provide more low end.

That is correct..Ofna has a really nice set of header extenders for $20..you can use it with your one piece pipe set up to increase low end..Its awesome to be able to adjust one pipe to get what you need

chunk t 02-25-2009 05:09 PM

Generally speaking more length will give more low end and less length will give more top end. But, the taper and length of the divergent cone on the pipe is also important as well as the diameter of the header vs. area of the exhaust port. But when you make a change to the length of the header, you need to be mindful to match the header length change with a change to the overall length of the entire exhaust system.

And that will be dependent upon the port timing, operating temp, nitro % & plug.

To your original question about header bends. Straight s better than bent; curved (constant radius) is better than multiple bends.