Wiki Posts
Search

turn marshaling for the el 1/8th scales

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
problem is people get hit by 1/8th nitros as it already is.
+1 i got slaughtered by an 1/8 scale a few years back.. not a good deal!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

As my old football coach used to say, "keep your head on a swivel and quit being such a puss."

If you're scared of the cars, take up knitting or something...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

It sounds like we have a volunteer to take a buggy to the head at 70 mph. Step right up, you won't even know what happened. By the way, I'm 6'2" 225lbs under 10% body fat, love to lay the wood at city league football, and want nothing to do with getting in the way of a buggy that travels 100 feet in under a second, 50 feet in under half a second, 25 feet in under .25 seconds, 15 feet in under .15 seconds. If you want to make a quick $400 bucks then find some one to aim a pitching machine at you, crank it to 70 mph, squat 20 feet away, & send the vid to break.com. I'm sure you can get out of the way though since your head is on a swivel.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Here's an idea, don't stand in the landing zone then. Or... wait until the traffic has gone through before stepping on the track to marshall. That's one of the basic rules of turn marshalling.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Please tell that to everyone who has ever been hit by a car while they are standing no where near the landing zone.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Our track owner had his electric buggy carried back to the pits on two occasions during a race. It is confusing when an ebuggy flips during a dominantly nitro race. I suggest they put an ELECTRIC decal on it. One guy blips the throttle right when they pick it up to let them know it's electric.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
K_B
Tech Master

That is one of the minor risks of racing. I'm 5'9" with a beer gut. I can still move fast enough to keep from getting severely injured.

If some yahoo is flying off the track all crazy and doing it regularly, he should be told that he can't race. I've had to do that before.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

The last time I checked people still get hit & there is no point in making a hobby that is already dangerous lethaly dangerous.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just marshalled an 1/8 electric off road race this weekend. The cars were not much faster than nitro. They were also much quieter and no smoke to breath. I would marshall an electric over nitro any day. I have never been hit marshaling have had a few close calls but paying attention is the biggest thing to avoid getting hit.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Getting clobbered in the head by a buggy or truggy could, in extreme cases, be lethal. Nitro or electric. Common sense is the only thing that keeps people safe.

Playing football can be lethal. Walking across the street can be lethal. Jumping out of a plane with no parachute can be lethal.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Electric 1/8th scales can be set up to go 70mph & idiots will be idiots. Not to mention these buggies are just coming out the the envelope hasn't even began to open on what these buggies can really do. Not to mention if these buggies are fine going the same speed as nitros then something like a neu 2.5d-3.5d would be a perfect match for these buggies. I'm sure that some one w/ more experience running all the motors could really enlighten more on a motor that will be much closer to a .21 nitro.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_B
Getting clobbered in the head by a buggy or truggy could, in extreme cases, be lethal. Nitro or electric. Common sense is the only thing that keeps people safe.

Playing football can be lethal. Walking across the street can be lethal. Jumping out of a plane with no parachute can be lethal.
I got hit by a loon at the nitro challenge saturday and it sucked was really funny though cause I was hiding out observing and doing the job, It happend so fast that you wouldnt have been able to avoid it either. got hit in the stomach. That dude crashed in the same spot every time so I just got out of his way as he came by. and marshalled as usual.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone who tries to drive a car offroad that is capable of 70mph will soon find that it has too much power and is almost undrivable. I have helped some guys who were trying different motors they started with a 3500kv. The buggy pulled wheelies on the straight and spun coming out of the corners. The couldn't control the car even with different throttle curves and turning down the epa. They went with a 1300kv and had much more control and better run times. They still had more torque than the nitro out of turns and over jumps with top speeds about the same. I think you're over reacting.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitroburner65
It's very simple.......NEVER turn your back on the cars. as long as your facing towards the flow of traffic you can see it coming.
This is true EXCEPT at tracks where a marshals corner is in between two jumps one coming from the right and the other from the left. OR a big jump on a straight away and short chute with a quick turn. There are many places on the inside of track where the cars are coming from the left and the right.

BUT keeping your head on a swivel and just having eyes in the back of your head do help. I've been VERY close to being hit a few times but that's a risk of this sport. Football:risk of neck breaking, knee injuries, list goes on and on. RC racing: risk of burns, breaking of shins by rogue RC cars
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yeah well sometimes people do get hit.. i am pretty fast and in pretty good shape and i got nailed.. electric or nitro it could happen either way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.