Wiki Posts
Search

Dish Rims VS. Spoke Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Dish Rims VS. Spoke Rims?

Is there and advantage using Dish rims vs Spoke rims. I have spoke rims on my Losi 8 B just because in my opinion they look better and have a customized look.

All of the videos that I have watched the pros do not seem to use the spoke wheels they are all DISH.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Spoke can be lighter I believe. I've had some mud stick to the inside of my spoked rims before making them extreme unbalanced. Don't think this would have happened with a solid rim.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is easy Dish rims are alot stronger then spoke the only problem with spoke is they buckle easy yes they do look better i like em over dish but there are some brands out there that make some nice looking dish rims Recford Tuning have some nice looking ones on the market u gotta look at WRC what do they run on in the dirt they look good on trarmac on the deck with spoke rims
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

dish are are alot stronger and more reliable.. it is hard to break a dish wheel
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Lots of pro's run J-concepts truggy wheels but not too many buggy.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamminnay
dish are are alot stronger and more reliable.. it is hard to break a dish wheel

I saw a guy do it yesterday...not just one, but both on the same side. I'm not entirely sure what happened. I think he hit someone in the air, then came down and landed weird. The front litterally snapped off the bug and shattered. The rear was shattered. Wish I had my camera at that moment, lol.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Dish wheels can be made stronger and lighter, but foremost for my own sake; they are alot simpler to balance, better room and hold for the putty.
I've never broken a pro-line wabash, but I've broke some dish rims (never broken a panther dish rim).
Found some advantages with spokes in dry and loose conditions, even dry and loose snow. A bit less build up, or at least doesent build up as fast as dish rims in these particular conditions. Wheel scrapers makes the spoked rims a bit more efficient than dish.
But they doesent defend their price. Only the bling does ;-)
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Dish also are more aerodynamic..not that you are ever going to notice, but one thing you will notice, on a really windy day..if you use spoke rims, your car will get blown around allot less, especially off the jumps
Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I prefer spokes, always have. I have run three brands and for the past 7 years I've never had a spoked rim break or warp on me. I say learn how to drive imo. I mostly use Proline Wabash wheels or Advantage Racing Multispokes (which are being remolded and I don't understand why, they were perfectly light and strong.), and when I have to I'll use a couple certain types of Ofna spoked wheels. The reason I like spokes is I like to see them rolling, especially on a big track or if I cut a pipe to close and if I traction roll and end up on my lid. With a spoked wheel you can blip the throttle and watch the spokes to know your motor is still running until a turn marshall arrives. As far as dirt and mud getting caught in the spokes, well I just don't run in really wet conditions. Don't get me wrong, I can understand wetting the track but if I see puddles all over the place I'm not running. I'd rather save my bearings, turnbuckles and screws from rust and that's how I keep mud out of the spokes.