Wiki Posts
Search

GRP Ver. Mr Ninja .21 VS OS Ninja JX .21

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default GRP Ver. Mr Ninja .21 VS OS Ninja JX .21

I wanted to get some feedback from someone that has run the old GRP Version Mr. Ninja .21 and the new OS JX Ninja. I have had about 3 Mr Ninjas and 2 silver top GRP's. and loved everyone. I have yet to run a OS mill and really wanted to get some 1st hand feedback.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the MR .21 and love it (actually the MR.28 on my truggy as well) I race with several guys that have the OS Ninja, and they like it and get great runtimes.
IIRC on the dyno charts the MR made a bit more hp, and revved higher

Hope that helps
Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The OS-based Ninjas have softer, lower powerband.

A couple of guys in my area have tried the OS based engines and weren't super crazy about them and have since gone back to the GRP/Losi units.

For the most part, the GRP/Losi engines are very similar to the MR Ninja/GRP engines, biggest change was the size of the center bore of the crankshaft (it's smaller).
Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Love GRP engines, they are very nice and thier quality is quite evident, right out of the box.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

My previous engine was a GRP Tuned .21 and I have been more recently running a Ninja JX21, and I can honetsly tell you that the Ninja JX21 is an overall faster engine. It has more top end and a HUGE ammount more acceleration and bottom end in general, that said i wouldn't necessarily say that its the better of the two engines. I have found that both engines will run for 10+ in a buggy, although the Ninja JX21 does seem to be abit more economical which again coupled with the extra performance is pretty amazing.

Despite the fact that the Ninja JX21 is the faster of the two engines, I do have to say that overall the GRP Tuned .21 had a smoother and far more controllable powerband - At least for me, I found that the softness at the bottom end made the car so much easier and predictable to drive, particularly in low grip conditions. Both engines I found to be very reliable though, and a breeze to tune.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default grp

Which one was harder to break in? Had the tighter pinch?

Originally Posted by a§h
My previous engine was a GRP Tuned .21 and I have been more recently running a Ninja JX21, and I can honetsly tell you that the Ninja JX21 is an overall faster engine. It has more top end and a HUGE ammount more acceleration and bottom end in general, that said i wouldn't necessarily say that its the better of the two engines. I have found that both engines will run for 10+ in a buggy, although the Ninja JX21 does seem to be abit more economical which again coupled with the extra performance is pretty amazing.

Despite the fact that the Ninja JX21 is the faster of the two engines, I do have to say that overall the GRP Tuned .21 had a smoother and far more controllable powerband - At least for me, I found that the softness at the bottom end made the car so much easier and predictable to drive, particularly in low grip conditions. Both engines I found to be very reliable though, and a breeze to tune.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by robbdny
Which one was harder to break in? Had the tighter pinch?
Definetely the GRP, that motor had insane compression when new it was abit of a PITA, although after 8-10 tanks it started to loosen up abit but it never ran fully in till after a gallon where it started to sing.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I have both the jx21 and grp tuned and non tuned. If you're looking for a buggy enigine the tuned grp is a great engine. If you're looking for a truggy engine than you should go with the jx21 it's insane in truggy. If you want to save a little money the non tuned in a buggy is very good also and has a bit more bottom than the tuned and is not lacking much on the top.