R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Roto Start VS. Bump Start (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/277181-roto-start-vs-bump-start.html)

rsmith569 02-20-2009 09:48 AM

Roto Start VS. Bump Start

Which one is better?

golferdude1971 02-20-2009 09:53 AM

Bump Start. Reason being is that the rotostart has something like a one-way bearing connected to the crank, which actually adds to the amount of rotational mass.

revo61 02-20-2009 10:02 AM

Bumpstart, no one way bearing to wear out or go bad. Also more engines use a bumpstart, very few work with rotostarts.

markr04 02-20-2009 10:13 AM

I'm still using roto start on my 8ight RTR. I think it's convenient, especially if you want to bash, but they develop a common problem. The one-way bearing begins to slip and it turns freely... meaning it doesn't turn the engine over.

I can still use the roto start, but I have to do it in short bursts until it finally grabs. When the engine is warm, it's not a problem. You can use a heat gun to help it along, but if you're bashing you may not have easy access to a heat gun.

My 8ight is not even 2 months old. My friends who also have the roto start all have the same problem.

The starter box is better. I use it for everything but my 8ight RTR, but you can have only one or the other (at least for the 8ight). The roto start backplate requires that the engine is lifted a bit higher, too far up for a starter box to touch the flywheel. You can convert to use starter box, though, by getting a normal backplate and a different engine mount. They are about $50 together.

howtowakeakar 02-20-2009 10:17 AM

Pullstart!!!!

I wish I could use a bumpstart but the only one that can is my Traxxas Nitro Sport, the one-way bushing went bad on it and now I need to replace it.

Jaz240 02-20-2009 10:21 AM

Roto-starts are a pain in the butt, and allot more expensive in the long run, especially if you put an aftermarket roto-start on an engine that is not designed for a roto-start..Like everyone says the bearing, and/or the shaft will strip out and must be replaced, mostly because the roto-starts are too strong for the engine, they spin too fast and ruin everything..Bump start is the only way to go, at least until someone comes up with a Turnkey...:lol:

t0adman 02-20-2009 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 5458309)
mostly because the roto-starts are too strong for the engine, they spin too fast and ruin everything..

Huh? My starter box spins way faster than a roto-start and neither one is as fast as the engine when it's idling let alone revving up.

rearviewmirror 02-20-2009 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by t0adman (Post 5458417)
Huh? My starter box spins way faster than a roto-start and neither one is as fast as the engine when it's idling let alone revving up.

Maybe he has a 40000 RPM roto start.

Jaz240 02-20-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by t0adman (Post 5458417)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror (Post 5458435)
Maybe he has a 40000 RPM roto start.

Sorry, I didn't word that right..I meant it spins too fast for the one-way bearing to handle. One ways, and the shaft that turns them are made for Pull-starts

plus2ss 02-20-2009 11:25 AM

Bumps starts are ideal, but if your dealing with a vehicle like my LST2, the only option is a roto-start. Kinda sucks when your racing, but they do make some pretty gnarly roto-satrt motors, I know RB and Novarossi both make a good roto-start motor. I saw a guy on the LST forums that converted a O.S. 28xz from a bump to a roto-start. Anything is possible.

pdmustgt 02-21-2009 12:04 AM

Never really had the one way bearing wear out. Sometime they will slip from the oil in the fuel.

Dvx400Rider 02-21-2009 02:39 AM

The Roto starters suck. I hate those thing. My truggy has one and I hate it. If you flood your engine, you can burn out the one way bearing. It sucks a lot.