Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales? >

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I live at a elevation of 3600 feet and if i tuned my nitro car at home and then went to revrace to race i would have to retune the whole engine.
when you get to revrace you have to stand in line on the drivers stand and wait your turn to drive and tune your car.
Now that i have switched to elec i just show up and i know how my car is going to run and i can concentrate on my driving and actually tuning the car and not my power plant.With the use of a Tekno conversion my car can even be driven like a nitro but with a lot more over all power.It works for me.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FroBoy
Holy Crap, Matt. You stirred it up.

So, what I've decided to do as the race director of the track where XLgraphicsprosuperawesomebodypainter races at is this...

On regular race days we'll have electrics and nitro 8th scales run together until, or unless there's enough to split the class. I imagine by the middle of this year and definately in 2010 we won't even have to worry about it.

In my opinion our regular race days are a time to prepare for the next Summer Series or RC Pro Series race and hang out with our friends and rivals and work on becoming better drivers.

For our Summer Series races that take place once a month, the electrics will be in its own class. Simple as that.
Alex,

If it's a summer series day and only 1 or 2 electrics 1/8's show up, will they be run with the nitros while still keeping the electrics in their own separate points series to prevent us from having 3 qualifiers and a main just for 1 or 2 guys?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yaright
At a Pro level event, they need to be in there own class. At my local track club racing, the more the merrier.
This sums it all up in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quite the problem over here on Okinawa. The LHS doesn't want to let me run my Caster MMM with the GP 1/8 Buggies. The race director says "GP have motor trouble" To me that is part of nitro and one of the reasons I went electric.

My solution is to double stick tape a head, put in an ipod and speaker for noise, and spray it with WD-40 for the greasy look.

Just kidding. I want to race and drive just like the rest of the guys. I am planning on entering the race but if I place, not likely, give up my podium position. I may have a "slight" advantage over a nitro powered car, but I am lacking in the driving skill and I believe that wins races.

Electric is taking off slow here, but I am trying to convince people to go electric so we do have a class by ourselves. I can fully understand the nitroguys, it's like my classic dune buggy, it's VW powered, would I ever put a Prius motor in it? Hell no, I love the sound, I love the smell.

The biggest point brought up is to get people into the hobby, especially with the "economy". Electrics can run almost anywhere with out "disturbing the peace" and nitro guys know that their neighbors are not a big fan (like running the stinger on my dune buggy). The LHS need us and electric 1/8 is new and innovative and might be around to stay.

Nitro guys have an established class and deserve to keep it, but let the new guy or the conversion guy give it a shot and until their are enough to run a class in a sanctioned race. Or even give and electric buggy a test drive, you can even drive it in your back yard with out pissing off the neighbors-unless that's what you want to do.

thanks for reading....
Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

no they should'nt.......I dont even see the point of debating it...........its like apples and oranges IMO.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

agree 100% and I've raced electric the last few years and am currently researching, buying, and collecting parts to build my first nitro buggy. I sure dont want this to happen at my track. Im gonna run nitro for a change and to have electrics in the class would be a let down. my 2 pennies !
Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
no they should'nt.......I dont even see the point of debating it...........its like apples and oranges IMO.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

just bought a mbx6!!!! Keep the electrics away from me!!!!

I mean really?? I do think that nitro will come up with something eventually to level the playing field for everyone complaining about power. I see maybe fuel injected engines, turbocharged???? something will happen. It always does. I remember what i used to run about 12 years ago. I had a rc 10. I would have to turn the rotors, change the brushes and everything. And it was still FAST!!!! I coundn't even imagine what you guys are taling about with thease "brushless motors" Interesting. But when i had my electric they had gas cars out the would completly SMOKE an electric.

they will even out. Dont worry, technology says so
Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

The only problem I have with electric running with nitro is that the electric guys are crying about the lenth of the mains because they don't have the batteries needed to run a 45 minute main. There is also the issue of the pit stops. I saw an electric guy take atleast 1 minute to change a battery, and he could only go 20 minutes on a charge.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

thats a good way of puttin it.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

No matter what power plant you have, you still gotta keep it off the pipes fellas. Till then it doesnt matter if you have a turbine in it. You experianced guys know that slower is faster and that the faster car (in a straight line)doesnt usually win.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

I certainly hope this comment isnt based on this past weekend.

EDIT* It must be based on this past weekend cuz you stated on another thread that it was your first race.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

no man, not at all.....I felt the same way before I ever raced in Indy this is just a hobby to me bro, I dont get too worked up over it or take it too serious, I just see the brushless cars as waaaay to fast to be in nitro class.....power delivery is non-comparable....I simply feel thats enough to put it in its own class
Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trevor's right, and I would prefer to run in my own class if we had enough for a class and the race director added the class. Right now our race director at the ONLY track wants to run all electrics in one class. Until then I need to run somewhere, against somebody...

As far as changing batteries for a 40 minute main, that's part of the car I'm running. If it takes more than a minute, I need to get a better system.

If a nitro car runs 6 minutes, it needs to stop about 6 times for a 40 minute main. Provided a good pit crew and the engine keeps running about 10 seconds per pit (off track, fuel, on track) isn't that a minute? Sounds pretty even to me, no whining about long mains here. Though I don't think I can drive that long yet.

VW used to say "It's not how fast you go but how well you go fast"
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Gotcha. To each there own. I guess that all the guys with these super tuned nitro motors should have their own class too? Same deal.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

How do you figure it's the same deal????? Any of the .21 nitro engines fall within the RULES where brushless and electric does NOT!
With electric you have no flameouts, no blown plugs due to a lean tune among other things. An electric buggy keeps a balanced chassis during a complete run where a nitro burns the fuel out of the tank and the weight front to rear changes. It isn't a matter of power since most nitro .21s are over powered for the avaerge racer anyhow. There is an art to keeping a nitro running for a 45 minute or hour long main and that's what makes it nitro racing. I see no problem running them together for a club race until the electric numbers come up if they ever do to have their own class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.