Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New to nitro, need help choosing a car! >

New to nitro, need help choosing a car!

New to nitro, need help choosing a car!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New to nitro, need help choosing a car!

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and semi new to rcs in general.

I've got 2 Losi desert trucks now both with sidewinder brushless kits, 1 with a 3 cell and the other with a 2 cell. I also have an 1/18th Desert Truck with a sidewinder kit and a 3 cell lipo

Anyway...I'm looking at getting a nitro car...The guys at my local store are telling me a few different ways to go.

I'm looking at the Associated RC8RS

The Losi 8ight-T

and I've even tossed around the idea of the Losi Aftershock just because it looks to be built SUPER strong and just changing to a 3.3 motor?

Anyone have any opinions or ideas?

Money isn't really an issue but I don't want to spend 1000+ on a car out of the box.

Also all I really do is yard bash but looking at getting into racing (we have both dirt and street here)
Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pick a brand and buy their 8 scale buggy, you really can't go wrong with any of them. For bashing the RC8 or 8ight are probably better options because the parts are relatively cheap in comparison to Xray, Mugen, or Kyosho. The ultimate basher would be the 8ight-T, and it's also a great a race vehicle. You can find the 1.0 for hella cheap, the 2.0 probably wouldn't be worth the dosh if you're not really an experience racer anyways.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Pick a brand and buy their 8 scale buggy, you really can't go wrong with any of them. For bashing the RC8 or 8ight are probably better options because the parts are relatively cheap in comparison to Xray, Mugen, or Kyosho. The ultimate basher would be the 8ight-T, and it's also a great a race vehicle. You can find the 1.0 for hella cheap, the 2.0 probably wouldn't be worth the dosh if you're not really an experience racer anyways.
Thanks for responding!

I've been leaning toward the 8ight but I'm a little leary since I've never seen one in person.

As far as the vehicles and speed/power goes do you think the 427 would be that much better then the Associated .28?

Another thing I love about the Losi is the Spektrum radios
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JustinT22
Thanks for responding!

I've been leaning toward the 8ight but I'm a little leary since I've never seen one in person.

As far as the vehicles and speed/power goes do you think the 427 would be that much better then the Associated .28?

here is what might be a good idea for you . go on ebay and check out used race roller 8t from losi yhou can find one complete with bling servos and bling motor for less than a rtr truck rtr trucks are not the same as kits or race rollers the quality isnt there so that is what i would do. rc8t is also good truck. check out your local track if they have monster truck class then yhou can buy a revo they are rad for bashing and the best monster truck for racing and the parts are cheap
Old 02-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JustinT22
Thanks for responding!

I have raced an 8T since is came out and I am very pleased with it. I just sold it in Jan and purchased an 8ight T 2.0 and all I can say is wow the 2.0 is amazing. I like Losi their cars are very durable and the parts are easy to find. I ran a Kyosho STR before that, it was always broken and parts were difficult to find and expensive when I did find them. The 8T 1.0 is also very cheap these days. Go with the Losi.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Yea, used race roller is the way to go

Oh, what's this............ I happen to have one I'm looking to sell

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-interest.html

Can include a Losi 427 too