Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is RC a "Sport" or a "Hobby"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sport or Hobby? Who cares! Its fun, I get the rush of Dirt bike Racin, REAL Class Seven Off Road, I do not get hurt near as much, Its not as expensive, RC Racing (At least NITRO) is A MOTERSPORT! That is a fact. Thats what I enjoy, It is Driver, Mechanic, Pit Fella, All the same dynamics of any Motersport.

Hobby?
Sport?
Motersport?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fast11970
Sport or Hobby? Who cares! Its fun, I get the rush of Dirt bike Racin, REAL Class Seven Off Road, I do not get hurt near as much, Its not as expensive, RC Racing (At least NITRO) is A MOTERSPORT! That is a fact. Thats what I enjoy, It is Driver, Mechanic, Pit Fella, All the same dynamics of any Motersport.
Nitro rc cars use engines, not motors.
Electric rc cars use motors.
By that "fact" alone your premise is incorrect.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
It started out as a hobby........but eventually the racing took over. It is racing. Not real cars, but racing all the same. Close enough to be a sport. Shoot, we even bet on it, and the bmain is on more drugs than the Yankees.

Since when is physical exertion required for it to be a sport. The goalie in hockey/soccar just stands there. The owner of a Nascar team sits around, wears headphones, and gets fat. Is he still a sportsman. Mark Martin drives with one hand (and he's like 85 years old.)! Hard work there.

Its a given that Motorcross is the most intense sport ever, but I'd hardly discount other sports. My CRF450r is terrifing. Absolutly terrifing.

Oh and since y'all brought it up, Nascar has as much In common with real racing as RC. Its like watching pro wrestling only with fake headlight and mechanics named Bubba. Even my stinkin' model car deosn't have fake headlights and its a fake car! Peel those darn things off. I'm not even gonna get started with hillbilly wind chimes, boogedy,boogedy,boogedy, and restrictor plates, wtf 185mph at Daytona? I've driven faster than that in a car that still had plates on! Go fast, turn left....not go at a speed easy and safe to drive and turn left!

Get yourself some Formula 1, American Lemans, WRC, etc. you'll feel better for it.

i drive a nascar super late model on the local level and can tell u right now if you think your crf450 is terrifying, come stand by my 500 hp BEAST when it fires up itll scare the HELL out of you. just because u hate nascar doesnt mean u have to come on here and discount us as athletes. i spend an hour straight working on cardio everyday, 7 days a week. and by the way, mark martin is one of the fittest guys in sports, he works his a$$ off. nobody ever said nascar team owners were athletes... that would be like calling a major league manager an athlete. check your facts and quit your hating before you come on here... im a big fan of rc, and sorry i kind of got off subject but i felt i just had to respond to this hater... sport or hobbie.......its whatever you make of it.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ARPY
Right.
So that's why NASCAR is called an Enginesport right.
WRONG
He is right by using the term Motorsport.
You have your facts wrong.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ARPY

Ummm, I understand the differance... I was just trying to use a coined term...Yes, Moters are driven or actuated by Either ac or dc currents, Engines are typically fired by a combustable, then there is external coumbustion..or Internal combustion, But what about steam? Hmmm, Train Engines are technically Moters, Not engines...Although there is the Diesel Locomotive Engine....Ok...I see the Haiirs...Thanks for splitting them.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fast11970
Ummm, I understand the differance... I was just trying to use a coined term...Yes, Moters are driven or actuated by Either ac or dc currents, Engines are typically fired by a combustable, then there is external coumbustion..or Internal combustion, But what about steam? Hmmm, Train Engines are technically Moters, Not engines...Although there is the Diesel Locomotive Engine....Ok...I see the Haiirs...Thanks for splitting them.
Word.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I've raced V6 and V8 cars at a club level around 3-4 yrs ago and next to that, RC cars is definately NOT a sport, it's a hobby.

What physical effort / training is required for RC, I mean besides getting your "trigger finger" in shape?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Alan D.
Right.
So that's why NASCAR is called an Enginesport right.
WRONG
He is right by using the term Motorsport.
You have your facts wrong.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nexxus
I've raced V6 and V8 cars at a club level around 3-4 yrs ago and next to that, RC cars is definately NOT a sport, it's a hobby.

What physical effort / training is required for RC, I mean besides getting your "trigger finger" in shape?
My trainer is relenltess! Cardio, For the Pit man Dash, Streching for the Wheel time, More Cardio for the Marshell Duties, Coordination workouts, No, Its not so stressfull to get ready, But I do not have to put on a Texas Cathador to finish a race without pissin my pants...Hmmm, If you are runnin an RC race an ya gotta go....Nevermind..

Just kiddin, I dont care, I like it, and I will run it.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

xx
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Turn marshaling is a sport. Driving RC cars is a hobby.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Oh and since y'all brought it up, Nascar has as much In common with real racing as RC. Its like watching pro wrestling only with fake headlight and mechanics named Bubba. Even my stinkin' model car deosn't have fake headlights and its a fake car! Peel those darn things off. I'm not even gonna get started with hillbilly wind chimes, boogedy,boogedy,boogedy, and restrictor plates, wtf 185mph at Daytona? I've driven faster than that in a car that still had plates on! Go fast, turn left....not go at a speed easy and safe to drive and turn left!

Get yourself some Formula 1, American Lemans, WRC, etc. you'll feel better for it.
I guess thats why all the racers from all other forms of motor sports want to be in NASCAR. I also guess that is why all the Formula 1, American Lemans, CART, IRL, etc have been so successful in NASCAR......NOT
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

Turn marshaling is a sport. Like football. Gotta run and get the car that is flipped over without getting tackled by another car. Especially on the straight. Broken ankles anyone?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
You've obiously never seen a game of rugby or rugby leage played.

imagine american football with no pads, the players don't stop every time they get tackled and the team does everything attack, defence and kicking

I've raced motocross (12years) and played competitive rugby and there is no comparision, rugby is 100% more intense

going on some of the comments here anything that involves a vehicle should not be classed as a sport as the vehicle is doing most of the work.

as for R/C racing not being pyhsically demanding have you ever come off the stand after a extremely close hour long A final, it's not just your brian hurting from concentration your legs ache from standing in 1 place and your arms go numb sometimes

My thoughts are if you race and only race then it's a sport, if you use you R/c outside of racing just for fun and not competitively then it's a hobby, and this goes for motorcross too as some people race their bikes others just thrash them for fun and call it their "hobby"

Hey and and long as your enjoying yourself wether it's your sport or your hobby who cares

Adrian

HAHA!!....i will give you that...Rugby is one tough friggin' sport for sure! BUT...sorry dude , i'm gonna have to shut you down. This is a huge study done by an athletics group who tested Motocross/supercross racers against other sports.....you will be suprised at the results.

If you looking for a good 15 minute read....then check this out >>>> http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trai...eart_rate.html

And i aint saying rugby aint tough. But for a total physical demanding sport , there really isn't much around that will compete with MX.

As far as this RC racing goes , as it being a "sport".....i still don't agree that it is. BUT , i can see the points of some of the people who stated their opinions in here. I also think there are a lot of "activities" that are called sports , that really shouldn't be. I also think that RC is MORE of a sport than some of those other activities that other groups call sports. At least there is racing involved. I just find it hard to call something a sport when there isn't any demand for any kind of a physical aspect. Like "extreme eating"....who the hell came up with that gay ass sport?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by bcrazy
I guess thats why all the racers from all other forms of motor sports want to be in NASCAR. I also guess that is why all the Formula 1, American Lemans, CART, IRL, etc have been so successful in NASCAR......NOT
exactly! thank you for shedding some common sense on the subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.