Is RC a "Sport" or a "Hobby"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is RC a "Sport" or a "Hobby"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Prophet

yes i do think r/c racing is a sport if u race cause u spend money on tires fuel engines etc just like regular full size racing. r/c takes skill and contection
just like racing a full size car , now i tell u what when u are racing a 20 main and its hot and u are on a high raise drivers stand and its like 90 degress or more and swet dripping down on your face and contreation on your car and avoiding wrecks when u are u getting tierd ,thats the same think as racing in a full size car exept u are going a lot faster. and turnmarshing buggy and truggy when they are jumping a double thats takes quick rection to get out of the way without getting nailed in the foot are other worse things, i do get pissed off when u get these outsiders that say oh there stupid toy cars but if they triend and raced and turnmarshing they would understand. now one thing i can never understand is when they say golfers are athletes what a joke now it does take skill but other then that they just swing and walk around. and i dont think race car drivers are athletes its just skill yea i know they are really hot in the cars but they haze cool air in the helmets and they have a hose that gives them water they can drink.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
JQ
Tech Master

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport%5B2%5D

RC car racing is whatever you want to call it. and yes it can be called a sport....

one definition of sport is:

"An active pastime; recreation." or "diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime."

A sport is not neccessarily physically challenging.

Fishing isnt, and that can be called a sport, hobby or a passtime too.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc5 man
yes i do think r/c racing is a sport if u race cause u spend money on tires fuel engines etc just like regular full size racing. r/c takes skill and contection.
Now I have to call my ex-wife and tell here shopping actually is a sport also, and that all those years I was wrong.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I would probably considered it a hobby, because for most its just something we do in our spare time. (What i think i hobby is) And i usually think of a sport as a more of an athletic competitive event. Thats my $.02
Old 02-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

F1 or NASCAR is like fighting over Ford and Chevy
All I know is that this hobby / sport whatever you call it has kept me from rebuilding the engine for my Ford.
I have all most all the parts I need to finish but it still going to cost around 3k to finish my 557CI engine and I keep spending money on toy cars

Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ARPY
That doesn't make it an actual word, or a sport.
According to Dictionary.com it's a word.
mo⋅tor⋅sports
   /ˈmoʊtərˌspɔrts, -ˌspoʊrts/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [moh-ter-spawrts, -spohrts] Show IPA Pronunciation
–plural noun
competitions, esp. races, involving motor vehicles, as automobiles, motorboats, or motorcycles.
and to be fair if you can say something and it has some sort of definition it's a word.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alan D.
According to Dictionary.com it's a word.
mo⋅tor⋅sports
   /ˈmoʊtərˌspɔrts, -ˌspoʊrts/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [moh-ter-spawrts, -spohrts] Show IPA Pronunciation
–plural noun
competitions, esp. races, involving motor vehicles, as automobiles, motorboats, or motorcycles.
and to be fair if you can say something and it has some sort of definition it's a word.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motorsports
"The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary."

Webster's is generally considered universally-accepted standard.
And to be fair, just because you or someone else makes up some word doesn't actually make it a word. That's called slang.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
I still think turn marshaling is closer to a sport than some things. I once took a buggy in the ribs that was going around 20-30 mph off a fast low flying jump. It knocked the wind out of me and bruised 3 ribs, almost put me down as I gasped for air. I think you have to have some pretty sure feet and quick reaction time out on the track to avoid injury. LOL!

Anyone here race downhill mountain bikes? Ummm,... now that is a psycho's sport, and I'd like to see a comparison done with MX racers vs Downhill racers.
I race downhill bikes. It is not only technical but also how much speed can you handle? And yes, the adrenalin rush when racing downhill makes me stll very "happy"
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
Well...i figured since this post got moved over here from a different site , i would just use my comments from over there , since i don't feel like re-typing the entire thing over again.

"I've been racing motocross for +30 years , and have reached up into the pro classes for the last 15 of them. I ran a huge indoor MX track up here in the NW for 3-1/2 years and was a personal trainer for the sport. Countless injuries ( with my last one costing a $130,000.00 and two week strapped to a breathing machine) , with wrestling for 11 years , played football , baseball , basketball...you name it...i have probably at least tried it. NOTHING has ever worked me as hard as racing MX , and if you look up what type of physical conditioning you need to race competitive MX....we are right up there with tri-athlets. With all that being said , NO , RC is not a sport! And neither is Poker , chess or stupid video games....but for some reason Poker and chess make it onto ESPN?? I still don't get that...but whatever.

I will say this though....RC , has a "sport" like feel to it , because of the competition involved in doing it. It gets you completely focused , and is a great "hobby to be in. Someone mentioned above that because it costs so much money , it should be considered a sport....sorry but that's wrong! I love driving my little RC cars , and YES i raced the 1/8 offroad for quite a while. But it doesn't even compare to the multi thousands of dollars i have wrapped up into my 30%-40% aerobatic aircraft! You are talking about $3500.00 - $7000.00 per airplane in some cases.....do i think it's a sport?...NO! It's an extremely expensive hobby. I think what confuses some people is seeing stupid board games on ESPN , they automatically think RC is a sport. It's a great , REALLY GREAT hobby , and is good for any person to get into , for the aspect of learning new things , learning how to become good , learning how to become a good sportsman , and learning how to help your fellow competitor. "

Then some guys said...it's sport just like BMX , skate boarding and such....so i replied.....

"You are missing the point! BMX and Skateboarding are completely different....they are physically demanding and you can get hurt in them. You push your body to certain limits. "RC racing is a sport....but bashing isn't"....pretty fine line there don't you think? Are you physically working harder at a race? Not mentally....but physically? RC racing is NOT physically demanding what so ever. And please don't say....."yeah....but corner marshalling is"...really? So a kid that voluteers on the sidelines , that doesn't even own a car , is participating in a sport? It's about as much excercise as playing with your dog in the back yard. Name me one friggin factroy RC car racer that physically works out , to prepare for an rc car race please. Standing on a drivers stand and just concentrating is NOT a sport. There are two many "activities" now days that get listed as sports....Poker , Chess , darts , spelling b's......holy crap give me a break. Anything that takes a Physical standpoint and causes you to exzert yourself in a contest against other opponents is considerd a sport.

You can have a 400lb fat kid on the stand with heart problems , being an extremely good driver....does this make him a good athlete? NO...it makes him very good at what he does , being a good driver. There is a line to be drawn between SPORTS and HOBBIES.....RC car driving falls into the Hobby category , no matter what anyone says. Running after a car does not count....you can run to your dang mailbox to get the mail , does that make it a sport to?

I get more of a workout washing my truck than i will ever get driving an rc car.

Someone please tell me what the Athletisism is in racing a RC car?

I don't mean to shatter some of your ego's , but if you really think RC car racing is a sport , go take some boxing lessons , or get a dirtbike and start practicing. Heck , join a WMCA and start playing soccer , or get into wrestling classes , play some softball , basketball...go running for petes sake. If you CAN'T do something that pushes your body a little , you are MISSING OUT! not only does it improve your fitness....BUT it also improves your mind as well believe it or not.

I can't believe this is even a thread worth discussing. And what's really unbelievable is some actually think it's a sport."

Then Chris replied.....and then i replied again.

"And Chris....i respect your views a lot. I have seen you on these boards for quite some time , and have always thought you have brought good knowledge to this sport with all the threads you have been involved with. Please Ask Adam that question. But to be honest....even though he is a legend in his own right , it doesn't matter what he says. Just ask him if he physically trains for his races. I'm sorry....but standing there , holding a radio in your hand and concentrating on your race , does NOT make it a sport. tell me this......what's the difference when you play an intense video game? You are doing the exact same thing...are you not?

I got a better idea.....why don't we have race where the driver has to flip his own car over. Do like a 30 minute main , and see how much excersise you can get then. THAT would start to turn this "hobby" into a sport. It would be crazy as he ll ....but you would get a workout , that's for sure."

Then some other guy again posted the same thing...And by the way , it's overley swinging towards it NOT being an actual sport on the other site. And this was my last reply....i gave up.

"You can have all the opinions you want. If you ask 100 RC car drivers if they think it's a sport....probably 90% would say no. Ask 100 people OUT of this hobby , if it's a sport....i bet all 100 say hell no!

Look.....you mentioned nascar , you obviously don't know anything about that "sport" as well. It's very physically demanding. If you want to call RC driving and racing a sport , go ahead.

ask yourself this question.......If you we're standing in a very large room , at lets say some big get together , and you started talking back and forth with some guy saying that RC racing WAS NOT a sport. And you said IT IS A SPORT.....how many people do you honestly think would back you on this? Probably NOBODY! In fact , you would probably be to embarrassed to mention that you even race RC. You would blow it off , and say "i just do it for fun"......because if you say you we're doing it hardcore.....a lot of people think it's geeky.

And for the love of pete.....just because some hobbies or activities are called sports , It DOES NOT make them a sport. I've already listed all this above.

Nobody answered my question above either.........does Adam drake or any other pro-level driver work out , excersise or anyway shape or form phsically prepare himself for his racing? You know who you should ask....is Jared tebo.....he has done a lot of MX. He has had his share of bumps , bruises and so forth. Ask him if he thinks RC car racing is an actuall sport.

Like i said....i'll get a better workout washing my car.....then i would ever get racing an RC car. I wasn't bashing either , i raced the 1/8th offroad for quite some time. Did a few RC pro series rounds as well. Did i feel like an athlete because i was racing my little rc car??.....HAHA!! the answer to that is no."

There ya have it. By the way....the rules are biased towars RC racing in a way , that you almost have to say it's a sport.

I still haven't heard on answer to my question about if even a full on factory racer honestly , physically trains for this hobby??.....still no answer on that.
Damn...typing this response should classify as a sport.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. Sports differ from games based on levels of organization and profit (not always monetary). Accurate records are kept and updated, while failures and accomplishments are widely announced in sport news.
Show Jumping, an equestrian sport.

The term is sometimes extended to encompass all competitive activities in which offense and defense are played, regardless of the level of physical activity. Both games of skill and motor sport exhibit many of the characteristics of physical sports, such as skill, sportsmanship, and at the highest levels, even professional sponsorship associated with physical sports. Air sports, billiards, bridge, chess, motorcycle racing, and powerboating are all recognized as sports by the International Olympic Committee with their world governing bodies represented in the Association of the IOC Recognised International Sports Federations.[1]

Sports that are subjectively judged are distinct from other judged activities such as beauty pageants and bodybuilding shows because an activity is being evaluated, rather than the physical attributes of the contestant.

Personally, i say if snooker is a sport, RC racing is a sport.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503

I still haven't heard on answer to my question about if even a full on factory racer honestly , physically trains for this hobby??.....still no answer on that.
I don't think the definition of sport is that debatable... physical does not define an event sporting. They train, they practice, they prepare, they compete.

To hammer my point home, athletic is not the same a physical. Hand eye co-ordination is physical and mental. Running 100 metres is athletic and mental.

If you want to go down this road though purely for mental excersise, shooting is considered a sport. Never seen someone prepare for a skeet shoot with press ups.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Tech Rookie

I would consider it a sport at the "highest levels" because of the competitveness, but a hobby to most people.