R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi 8ight Race Roller (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/274407-losi-8ight-race-roller.html)

tk1931 02-09-2009 08:58 PM

Losi 8ight Race Roller

Does anyone know what the aluminum alloy is for the Losi 8ight 1.0 Race Roller. I can't seem to find it in their literature posted on their website other than its 5mm thick and made of aluminum alloy.

As I am upgrading the shock towers on my RTR 8ight 1.0.

Here's a little fun fact: 6061-T6 has approx 45,000 psi tensile strength.

7075-T6 has approx 85,000 psi tensile strength, big difference in strength compared to 6061-T6.

I would assume they used 7075.

markr04 02-10-2009 07:39 AM

The stock towers on the 8ight 1.0 are made of "pot metal". It's used a lot in my business. Pot metal is a mix of aluminum and zinc, perhaps others. It's soft compared to 6061, etc. and inexpensive. As far as I know, pot metal is not rated like the aircraft-grade aluminum.

Pot metal is not usually anodized or polished. The zinc content makes for a poor anodize and it turns dark and spotty when polished. It can be chrome plated, but must be copper plated first.

Akhor 02-10-2009 11:07 AM

If you are looking to upgrade your shock towers go with the Pro model towers.

They are much more durable then the RTR.

John Schafer 02-10-2009 12:38 PM

Big differance betweem the Race Roller and the RTR.

The Race Roller does'nt have "pot metal" shock towers. I belive they are 7075, but could be 6061. I'm not positive.

tk1931 02-10-2009 07:51 PM

I am familiar with the term "pot metal". You never know what's in it as far as chemistry consistency is concerned. It would seem very strange to me that a company like Losi who produces a world class race roller buggy and competes at the highest racing levels in the rc world, would make a critical component out of an unpredicitable metal, and compromise their quality. I am not trying to agrue with you, it just sounds strange to me. However, I have seen stranger things before.

I also understand that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. 7075 although a much stronger alloy, could cause more damage if it transfers to the chassis.

Thanks for all the input.

markr04 02-11-2009 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by tk1931 (Post 5415851)
I am familiar with the term "pot metal". You never know what's in it as far as chemistry consistency is concerned. It would seem very strange to me that a company like Losi who produces a world class race roller buggy and competes at the highest racing levels in the rc world, would make a critical component out of an unpredicitable metal, and compromise their quality. I am not trying to agrue with you, it just sounds strange to me. However, I have seen stranger things before.

I also understand that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. 7075 although a much stronger alloy, could cause more damage if it transfers to the chassis.

Thanks for all the input.

I was talking about the RTR, which is what I have. I assumed the roller 1.0 and RTR would share the same towers, but I'm probably wrong about that. Sorry for the confusion.

tk1931 02-11-2009 09:03 PM

No problem, I have a RTR also and yes the 1.0 race roller towers are different than the RTR's. I just have not found where Losi lists the type of aluminum alloy.

Thanks for the input.:sweat:

Originally Posted by markr04 (Post 5417632)
I was talking about the RTR, which is what I have. I assumed the roller 1.0 and RTR would share the same towers, but I'm probably wrong about that. Sorry for the confusion.

JAMMINKRAZY 02-11-2009 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by tk1931 (Post 5420839)
No problem, I have a RTR also and yes the 1.0 race roller towers are different than the RTR's. I just have not found where Losi lists the type of aluminum alloy.

Thanks for the input.:sweat:

All of the aluminum parts on the losi pro kits are made of 7075 t6 aircraft grade alloy aluminum. Not sure about the rtr parts but "pot metal" sounds right. If you are looking to upgrade I would go with either the stock losi pro towers or preferably the King Headz towers. I feel the KHZ towers are the best out there for the losi's. I run them on my truggy and they have heald up great and look trick. Plus they eliminate the plastci cap/spacer thing that the stock front towers use. They are relatively cheap too. Or it might even be worth it to upgrade to losi 2.0 towers. I believe KHZ makes a set of 2.0 spec towers too. they have the new camber link options. I have heard some bad things about the stock 2.0 buggy front tower so I would stay away from that. But if you can get the khz 2.0 tower that would be your best bet.

tk1931 02-12-2009 07:24 PM

I have seen King Headz towers, I give them another look.

Thanks

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 5421082)
All of the aluminum parts on the losi pro kits are made of 7075 t6 aircraft grade alloy aluminum. Not sure about the rtr parts but "pot metal" sounds right. If you are looking to upgrade I would go with either the stock losi pro towers or preferably the King Headz towers. I feel the KHZ towers are the best out there for the losi's. I run them on my truggy and they have heald up great and look trick. Plus they eliminate the plastci cap/spacer thing that the stock front towers use. They are relatively cheap too. Or it might even be worth it to upgrade to losi 2.0 towers. I believe KHZ makes a set of 2.0 spec towers too. they have the new camber link options. I have heard some bad things about the stock 2.0 buggy front tower so I would stay away from that. But if you can get the khz 2.0 tower that would be your best bet.