Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
a couple of OS Speed questions >

a couple of OS Speed questions

a couple of OS Speed questions

Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default a couple of OS Speed questions

How many shims are supposed to be run under the head button (I am using Byrons race 30%)? I am running the alluminum one and the copper one right now. Also I am going freshening up the mill, and am curious if anyone has run the jx ninja piston, sleeve, connecting rod in this mill with any good results. I ask because I am running it in a truggy and from what I have heard the Jx seems to be a real popular choice in truggies, and the speed is more popular in the buggies
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

AS PER THE MAN:

Stock shims on the V-Spec, Speed and JX-21 are (1) 0.008" (0.2mm) aluminum shim and (1) 0.004" (0.1mm) copper shim.

If you use the EB Mod head button then you use only (1) 0.004" (0.1mm) copper shim.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rpm1968
AS PER THE MAN:

Stock shims on the V-Spec, Speed and JX-21 are (1) 0.008" (0.2mm) aluminum shim and (1) 0.004" (0.1mm) copper shim.

If you use the EB Mod head button then you use only (1) 0.004" (0.1mm) copper shim.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

come on now, no one has done this? I guess everyone is out racing this weekend. I believe I have heard of someone using the jx case and the speed piston and sleeve, but I don't know real world results. Is the speeds case that much different from the jx case? Maybe I should just simplify this and get a new speed piston and sleeve. It always ran good, I just feel like I could use some more bottom end for some of these short run up jumps. I don't really even know that the jx piston and sleeve would do that, but I am sure someone around here does.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Rookie

The JX internals will fit in a vspec case. The only difference is case volume and its very hard to tell in a vehicle. JX Internals are almost exactly the same as speed vspecs.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Originally Posted by hobdog
come on now, no one has done this? I guess everyone is out racing this weekend. I believe I have heard of someone using the jx case and the speed piston and sleeve, but I don't know real world results. Is the speeds case that much different from the jx case? Maybe I should just simplify this and get a new speed piston and sleeve. It always ran good, I just feel like I could use some more bottom end for some of these short run up jumps. I don't really even know that the jx piston and sleeve would do that, but I am sure someone around here does.
You could always just gown down a tooth on the cluthbell or tune your clutch for a little more punch for those short run jumps.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I know the black coat is pretty, but isn't the jx-21 case better in that it doesn't have the cracking issues the speed and v-spec cases have?