Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie, Checking in

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default Newbie, Checking in

Hey guys and gals, I'm new here. Not new to RC. I have 4 my son has 5 and he is the founder/ president of his High School's RC club in Gresham (Sam Barlow high). My son and I are wanting to get in to competitive racing. Figured that we could get lots of advice here. Would love to fing good places in and around the Gresham or Portland area to race and bash. Got a few already but always wanting to try something new
Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Welcome! Been awhile since I've been to Gresham. What vehicle do you and your son have? I would suggest you find the nearest track to you and go there. Watch the race and see what people run there. That would be your best bet as you will then have alot of help. Remember to have fun. You don't need to spend a mint to race. Although as your skills improve you will be inclined to do so. Also, if you can afford it, avoid RTR's. For the most part the electronics are junk and you will soon spend more on upgrading them. Buy a kit and pick your engine and electronics.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Too late!

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Welcome! Been awhile since I've been to Gresham. What vehicle do you and your son have? I would suggest you find the nearest track to you and go there. Watch the race and see what people run there. That would be your best bet as you will then have alot of help. Remember to have fun. You don't need to spend a mint to race. Although as your skills improve you will be inclined to do so. Also, if you can afford it, avoid RTR's. For the most part the electronics are junk and you will soon spend more on upgrading them. Buy a kit and pick your engine and electronics.
My son and I have been running for two years now. Started with Nitro rustlers, then we both got Micros. He has a Micro t and I have a Micro desert truck Mine is stock his is brushless/lipo with a spektrum radio system. I recently bought a LSOI mini crawler and have been having fun with it. Our newest purchase is we both got LOSI 8IGHT Truggies, they come with Spektrum radio systems and we plan on putting better servos in them as I hear they are the weakest link on the car. . We spend a lot on the cars and the hobby in general but it is something we do together, Kinda hard to get a teenagers attention for anything. He started an RC Club at his high school and is about to build an outdoor track on school grounds all with approvals and loads of red tape. I am impressed with him.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie, Checking in-crawler.jpg  
Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Thats probably your best choice for a RTR. I am getting my 3 boys into it also.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Welcome to the scene.. You'll find it highly addicting.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Akhor
Welcome to the scene.. You'll find it highly addicting.
Addicting huh!!?...you mean addictive but I won't hold it against you.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Yea there is not much that compares to rc tech... I think you will like it!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Default Bashing tonight

I was bashing (jumping a ramp in my street)with my old nitro rustler and broke two axle carriers and had a blast!. I cleared about 45 feet on my best jump. I love bashing. I don't mind breaking shit, I think I broke about $5.00 worth of shit tonight.. When you put it into perspective it really isn't that bad. When you get to the next level. like My son and I have, shit gets more expensive, I must admit....the 45 foot jump was pretty cool. NO I did not have video or any proof , Just me admitting that it was a really long jump!!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

AS long as your having fun cost is a non factor. I have 8T's one for bashing and one for racing. They are great at both. I also have an Mrx-3 and a TC5. Welcome to the site and keep having fun.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by vladconnery
AS long as your having fun cost is a non factor. I have 8T's one for bashing and one for racing. They are great at both. I also have an Mrx-3 and a TC5. Welcome to the site and keep having fun.
I think this site will be helpful. I hope to meet up with people in the local area to run with sometime.