Wiki Posts
Search

High end race motors, only a few tanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default High end race motors, only a few tanks

Isn't is funny when you see this in the for sale forum. Why in the hell would anyone sell their motors with only a few tanks on them. OR when they say fresh off of breaking in and ready to run. Breaking in motors suck, and most dont like to do it, or dont like to do it when they choose to do it the right way. Thats why many modders charge approximately $50 to do this.

If it is a high end race motor,it takes anywhere from a few tanks to near a gallon to get these motors happy. After a quick few tanks, and people run the crap out of them. Oh ya, that motor will get great ! NOT. Most of the high end race motors will last atleast 3-5 gallons or more with zero part replacement.

Its funny how some people say that motor sucks, it was wore out in only a few gallons. While others say I have got nearly 10 gallons on it. Most motors will have life expectancy based on how YOU care for them. You want power now, break it in with a few tanks and run it hard right away. You want this motor to last, take your time and dont rush.

Not everyone will agree with what I have posted. I guess I am just a bit bent over the fact that my buddy have bought two used motors lately, and both were garbage.

I personally, would never buy a used motor from someone I don't know
Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

True but look at all the V-spec's that had cracked blocks after just a few gallons. I bought 3 and none lasted very long, i'm going back to the cheap motos because i got more life out of it. (Mach427- 10+ gallons)
Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bgbelden
True but look at all the V-spec's that had cracked blocks after just a few gallons. I bought 3 and none lasted very long, i'm going back to the cheap motos because i got more life out of it. (Mach427- 10+ gallons)

yes but a V-Spec gets nearly double the mileage as a mach.... comparing 10 gallons in a sport engine is equivalent to about 6 gallons on a V-Spec if you calculated actual run time....
Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Both of you guys bring up very good points. I have had cracked block issues with V-specs as well. One I know was most liekly my fault as I was pushing that motor as hard as it would go. I think it over reved. The other may have been lose motor mount or I have no idea.

As far as the mach 427. That is just a great motor. And if you can get it a bit modded, you can get big performance and a lower price. but fuel milage is an issue
Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would never buy used motor. People tend to lie about the engine mileage and you never know how the engine was broken it and ran.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Then again you MAY be dealin' with a trust fun baby with nothing else to do.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wallot
I would never buy used motor. People tend to lie about the engine mileage and you never know how the engine was broken it and ran.
Theres alot of these kind of people out there
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Then again you MAY be dealin' with a trust fun baby with nothing else to do.
And not too many of these people out there
Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maximo
yes but a V-Spec gets nearly double the mileage as a mach.... comparing 10 gallons in a sport engine is equivalent to about 6 gallons on a V-Spec if you calculated actual run time....
Very good, often overlooked point
Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Its all about what you want, and what your willing to pay for. I have always been a big fan Of the Hyper .21 8 port engines. They last 10+ gallons, they are cheep as hell, and they always suited my needs. I have owned about 10 over my lifetime, but once I started racing at The Nitro Pit, they just didn't have enough power, so I was forced into the high dollar racing mills. I also would never buy used, unless its from someonbe you know and you can give it back for a refund if its bogus! But to say a $100 engine is just as good as a high dollar racing Mill is a little over the top.........
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I too think it's odd that someone would sell an engine with just a couple of tanks on it. Often times I bet they are grossly underestimating just how many tanks that have been through it. Lastly, I don't know why anyone would buy a high end race motor used or new unless you're limiting factor is the engine. For most folks the limiting factor is their car setup and driving, not the all out speed of the motor or even its fuel economy. Marking it is a mofo though, it makes everyone feel as if they need a V-Spec or RB C6. For club racing, give me a $100-$150 GO 3 or 5-port and I'm happy.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I think its funny that every used engine ever sold "only has 1 gallon on it"

BS!

Noone is honest anymore..... noone sells a perfectly good engine unless theyre really hurtin for money. The rest are junk and theyre selling them for a reason.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
I think its funny that every used engine ever sold "only has 1 gallon on it"

BS!

Noone is honest anymore..... noone sells a perfectly good engine unless theyre really hurtin for money. The rest are junk and theyre selling them for a reason.
+1 people just are not as honest as they used to be.. i would never want to sell a used motor anyway.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

just Broke-in = 1 Gallon, 1 Gallon on it = 3 Gallons on it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

People will keep selling used engines if people are willing to buy them. I wouldn't buy used unless it was from one of our local racers that I knew. But even then, why buy a used one? Better spending a bit more dosh on a new one just so you are certain of the history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.