R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Pinch Q? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/271829-pinch-q.html)

VenturaDC 01-30-2009 08:22 PM

Pinch Q?

I was wondering when you know its time for a new p/s/r or repinch, im not sure how much fuel has been thru my gotech 3port as i got it used. i am new to nitro but certainly not to rc. im not sure how much pinch is correct as i can rotate the crank via the flywheel by hand and doesnt seem to have much resistance when i hit compression,( well we will call it medium i think, as it for sure doesnt freespin thru the compression part but its not like its really hard to turn either)

the motor runs ok and seems to have a ton of power. It is a little hard to get to idle but i havent doen the needle mod yet so i can say much about that yet.

should i be able to turn the motor by hand easily?

pinky2252s 01-30-2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by VenturaDC (Post 5366502)
I was wondering when you know its time for a new p/s/r or repinch, im not sure how much fuel has been thru my gotech 3port as i got it used. i am new to nitro but certainly not to rc. im not sure how much pinch is correct as i can rotate the crank via the flywheel by hand and doesnt seem to have much resistance when i hit compression,( well we will call it medium i think, as it for sure doesnt freespin thru the compression part but its not like its really hard to turn either)

the motor runs ok and seems to have a ton of power. It is a little hard to get to idle but i havent doen the needle mod yet so i can say much about that yet.

should i be able to turn the motor by hand easily?

It shouldnt be smooth you should definitly fell the top, but if it runs fine dont worry

jbrow1 01-30-2009 08:31 PM

Best way to know when it's time is if it starts stalling for no reason say when you're going thru a turn. Or if it won't run unless you lean it way out, and if you can't get it to idle no matter what then it's time.

With the glow plug in you should feel it pop when you roll it over. Not necessarily the mechanical pinch of a new engine, but should get a little hard then turn itself over.

Some like to hold the engine sideways by the flywheel. If it can't hold itself up for a couple seconds with the compression it needs a pinch or sleeve. I've never played with this one. I just figure when they're hard to tune and problematic idle then it's time to freshen up the mill.

VenturaDC 01-30-2009 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info, yes it does seem to have some "pop" at the top of the stroke and ill know more about the idle after i grind the needle down.

another question tho, and maybe this is normal or not i dont know, but whats going on when i fire it up and rev it to clear it out some times it idles high, some times normal and then sometimes stutters and dies, the slide ends in the same position everytime, some times if its idling high it will very rapidly go into a really low idle for a bit then die. Probably just my settings but was wondering if there any pointers on that part

pinky2252s 01-30-2009 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by VenturaDC (Post 5366588)
Thanks for the info, yes it does seem to have some "pop" at the top of the stroke and ill know more about the idle after i grind the needle down.

another question tho, and maybe this is normal or not i dont know, but whats going on when i fire it up and rev it to clear it out some times it idles high, some times normal and then sometimes stutters and dies, the slide ends in the same position everytime, some times if its idling high it will very rapidly go into a really low idle for a bit then die. Probably just my settings but was wondering if there any pointers on that part

The low end is a 1/8 of turn lean, turn it an 1/8 of a turn out, it should idle high for a few seconds then die down to a low idle