Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
808 or MBX6 and their driving styles/handling >

808 or MBX6 and their driving styles/handling

808 or MBX6 and their driving styles/handling

Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chris-s
Thanks for the all the replies.

The pricing here in the Uk is quite a bit different to the US. The MBX6 is some £150 more expensive. There also happends to be a 2 race old 808 with all the hop ups, which is quite a bit cheaper than buying a new one. Cost is important, espiecially when I can get a new engine with the money I save !

The problem I'm having that there are a lot of different cars that run at my local tracks. The 808 does seem very reliable, with some of the other cars dropping out.
Chris where you shopping from??
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sirio will give more all around power.P5K looks to be smoother.
Both are OK IMO!!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slow coach
Chris where you shopping from??
Should of been $150 !

M-K Racing and Apex are my 'local' model shops (13 miles away)
Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
well, the xray isn't exactly a c hub design, but I can't really tell you waht it is called. And to answer the question, the geometry is differnt, and a PBS system has more bump steer, which can cause it to push when off power.
interesting that it should push off power when the front end is loading up and the bump steer is making the front wheels toe out which in theory should steer more.

Anyway back to topic really both cars are great they will both do what you ask make a decision on which one "you" want the most and it wont dissapoint you, imo there are no bad cars about today at all they all are well made and have their plus and minus points, out the two just go for it and make a decision and start enjoying yourself
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by butch man
PBS designs usually are unable to turn the wheels as far as open design front ends simply because the part that keeps the ball from pulling out needs to be restrictive enough to keep the ball from pulling out & that limits how far the knuckle can physicaly move.Pbs will also always have more bump steer simply due to the design ,upper ball is always further inboard from the lower & the pivot points are always closer together due to the large diamiter of the balls.The only time I see a lack of steering from the 6 is if you blow the line in a very slow tight turn but then your screwed no matter what you drive. I drive the 808 now & setup is key to either car.You can take either car to the extreames of twitchy or locked in.The rear of the 6 can not be made to follow the front as well the 808 can but other than that both can be made to feel the exact same.I will be finishing gallon #8 this weekend & plan on replacing some plastic parts after that. So far I replaced all bearings once & outer wheel bearings twice & all dogbone & cv pins once about 2 gallons ago.other than that nothing has broke & there is zero slop anywhere.You dont need to buy adjustment parts for the 808,I bought the rear pin set but ended up going back to stock settings with that.Links,oils,shock angles,& pistons can take the 808 from tractor to rally car.If you need a lcoked in rear end to drive consistantly buy the 808 if you like twitchy either car will be good with the 808 being cheaper in the long run.
+1 on the steering explanation with bump steer and pbs limitations. Just set the two buggies next two each other, press the front end down and you can see the difference. The main thing you will notice is the 808 will maintain more tire contact with the ground throughout the travel. Also on full L/R with suspension dropped you can see the Xray maintains more side bite and throw. I've set my 808 up both ways from overly planted to turn on a dime, and now that I'm after faster laps, I'm dialing more steering in every month.

I know the argument gets old guys, but pointing out strong points for a certain ride could help someone decide if its for them. I don't rag much on any one buggy anymore because it doesn't help, but I will list the positives. Also I do have the advantage of being able to watch hundreds of hours of Pro RC racing slow motion video, it really lets you see what buggies perform best in certain conditions.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

FWIW, I have the Mugen MBX5 Prospec. It's a few years old and it's been very durable. I have only broken the little pieces that screw on to the turnbuckles. I assume the MBX6 would be just as durable.

I've wondered about the "luxury" bit regarding the Xray. I'm curious why Xray chose that word.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
FWIW, I have the Mugen MBX5 Prospec. It's a few years old and it's been very durable. I have only broken the little pieces that screw on to the turnbuckles. I assume the MBX6 would be just as durable.

I've wondered about the "luxury" bit regarding the Xray. I'm curious why Xray chose that word.
I'm not sure about other cultures, but in the US "luxury" has a slightly negative definition and is reserved for products or services that only the super wealthy can afford and are therefore unaccessible by us "commoners".

It also implies that someone that cannot afford something buys it anyway, which is also negative. I've been guilty of this on numerous occasions.

Since XRAY is headquartered in Slovakia their culture may have a more positive spin on the word? Assuming their translation to english was targeting the US I'm pretty confident that the translator is not from the US.

Maybe the translation was targeting Europe and luxury has a positive meaning there?

Interesting to think about though.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Banter
I'm not sure about other cultures, but in the US "luxury" has a slightly negative definition and is reserved for products or services that only the super wealthy can afford and are therefore unaccessible by us "commoners".

It also implies that someone that cannot afford something buys it anyway, which is also negative. I've been guilty of this on numerous occasions.

Since XRAY is headquartered in Slovakia their culture may have a more positive spin on the word? Assuming their translation to english was targeting the US I'm pretty confident that the translator is not from the US.

Maybe the translation was targeting Europe and luxury has a positive meaning there?

Got to disagree with most of what you've wrote here, I believe your looking for a negative connotation to there use of the word "luxury"

To me it means it's designed and produced to be the best, using the best materials possible, whrere producing the finished item at the lowest cost possible isn't there main goal a QUALITY product it there goal. You can't argue there products are more expensive than other manufactures cause they simply aren't, when comparing similarly well made items.

I dont believe they wrote there sales literature whilst worrying about how some people "may" try and put a negative spin on there choice of wording.

Think your thought processes are best used working out the puzzels in portal.....

Rod
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Merciless
Got to disagree with most of what you've wrote here, I believe your looking for a negative connotation to there use of the word "luxury"

To me it means it's designed and produced to be the best, using the best materials possible, whrere producing the finished item at the lowest cost possible isn't there main goal a QUALITY product it there goal. You can't argue there products are more expensive than other manufactures cause they simply aren't, when comparing similarly well made items.

I dont believe they wrote there sales literature whilst worrying about how some people "may" try and put a negative spin on there choice of wording.

Think your thought processes are best used working out the puzzels in portal.....

Rod
Hi Rod,

I wanted to stimulate an intellectual conversation about different cultures, since clearly the word luxury would not be used to describe an off-road vehicle here in the US which is why this topic is even being discussed.

I can kind of see your point, although it's difficult to take your arguments seriously since you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and "there" and "they're".

Portal is a fun game.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Banter,

Gammar isn't a strong point of mine, as you point out. That doesn't make me retarded as far as i'm aware .....

I'm a gas engineer by trade, as such A level english isn't a strong point for me, although I'm far from stupid.

Since you can clearly understand my point of view and the thoughts I tried to convey, I fail to understand why you can't take my arguments seriously. Other than I don't agree with you. This isn't the culture show it's a model car forum...........

Rod
Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Rod,

If you read back in the thread you'll see that I didn't bring up the question of the word luxury, two other folks did. I was simply replying with my take on it which I believe is a question of culture.

I see your point but you may have a different cultural view on the word since you are from the UK, which was my point.

And now that the topic of luxury is not fun anymore, I digress.

Banter
Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
Break out the boxing gloves, mouth guards, and my dad can beat up your dad insults. It will start with a simple, “I prefer the 808 over the MBX6”. Followed up with a “yea but”. Then it will turn into all out war, nobody will be singing “Kumb by yaw”. And the anger really starts to seep in; people will be getting mad, kicking the dog, throwing the middle finger up at the monitor. Going out and robbing the local 7-11. You will start abusing alcohol, drugs and prostitutes. (The $2.00 kind and not the hot ones). Start cross dressing, (some of you are already there) and after weeks of soul searching, you figured out that you should have been born a girl; you sell your “808” and opt to move to Trinidad, Colorado. (Sex change capital, look it up) and get the “changes” that you always new should be. You will renounce your “NAMBLA” membership, and get ready for your new life. All of this came about because someone asked, “Which is better”. Do you really want to know?

Yes, I’m in therapy…

ROFLMAO.............

You need an intervention by Dr. Phil...............j/k
Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I was also curious about the word Luxury until I bought the kit. Anyone who has built an XRAY as well as any other factory kit can now clearly tell you what XRAY was referring to with the word "LUXURY" The parts almost assemble themselves, NO SANDING, NO FILING, NO CUTTING, NO MODIFYING, NO CRAMMING, NO DRILLING. even the parts on the trees came off without burrs and I didn't need to sand those either....I was astonished how XRAY was able to create and sell this Kit less than $600. As far as quality, ease of build and parts fit; there is XRAY and then there is everyone else!!! And that my friends, is what Luxury means to me!!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I was also curious about the word Luxury until I bought the kit. Anyone who has built an XRAY as well as any other factory kit can now clearly tell you what XRAY was referring to with the word "LUXURY" The parts almost assemble themselves, NO SANDING, NO FILING, NO CUTTING, NO MODIFYING, NO CRAMMING, NO DRILLING. even the parts on the trees came off without burrs and I didn't need to sand those either....I was astonished how XRAY was able to create and sell this Kit less than $600. As far as quality, ease of build and parts fit; there is XRAY and then there is everyone else!!! And that my friends, is what Luxury means to me!!

Great explaination there, wished I thought of saying that !

Rod
Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Banter

I, too, was wondering if the culture difference was a factor.

"luxury" and "racing" can both be used to describe cars, but are not used to describe the same car. One can describe a Rolls Royce, the other can describe a Lamborghini, but they're not interchangeable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.