Community
Wiki Posts
Search

808 or MBX6 and their driving styles/handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default 808 or MBX6 and their driving styles/handling

I've searched an can't find the info I'm looking for, so.

I've been looking at both of these cars, spares availibility and support is good for both, both are run at the tracks I race at.

I like to think that I'm a smooth'ish driver, which would suit me more. I dont like having to hustle the car round corners, getting it to turn in. The tracks I race at can be quite bumpy (buggy swallowing pot holes on one !), with a few jumps thrown in, plus tight technical infields, So a real mix.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited by Chris-s; 01-27-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Its a touph call.... and both selling at near $530.00 online makes it even harder to choose!
I've driven both rides and both are very nice race buggies. They are both very light and nimble, but the Xray is the lighter of the two. The Xray has gained the reputation of the indestructible buggy, and I have to agree its amazing what you can pull out of with the 808. The Mugen is strong but not quite the bullet proof ride that the 808 is, this could be because the 808 has been out longer, and now has less issues after revisions. Either buggy should suit your style, but in my opinion the PBS front end system doesn't quite have the off power steering the 808/Losi style front end does. Both can be setup for bumps so I think they are about even in that respect. I drive the 808, and in 2008 I finished 21 main events without a DNF, thats pretty much enough proof for most.

Go Xray you will not be disappointed!

Now get ready for the Losi crowd to swarm and tell you to buy a Losi, it never fails! LOL!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

be prepared to catch some flack for starting this thread.

I myself and leaning heavily towards the mugen, i have owned mugens in the past and my brother has a 5R. I have really liked all them, they have had great reliability and never broke anything.

Either way dude, you cant go wrong with the xray or mugen. See what you can get parts for easiest.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Break out the boxing gloves, mouth guards, and my dad can beat up your dad insults. It will start with a simple, “I prefer the 808 over the MBX6”. Followed up with a “yea but”. Then it will turn into all out war, nobody will be singing “Kumb by yaw”. And the anger really starts to seep in; people will be getting mad, kicking the dog, throwing the middle finger up at the monitor. Going out and robbing the local 7-11. You will start abusing alcohol, drugs and prostitutes. (The $2.00 kind and not the hot ones). Start cross dressing, (some of you are already there) and after weeks of soul searching, you figured out that you should have been born a girl; you sell your “808” and opt to move to Trinidad, Colorado. (Sex change capital, look it up) and get the “changes” that you always new should be. You will renounce your “NAMBLA” membership, and get ready for your new life. All of this came about because someone asked, “Which is better”. Do you really want to know?

Yes, I’m in therapy…

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 01-27-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

if you check back a few pages you will find this question has been asked already and answered, its horses for courses take your pick and tune to suit both cars mentioned will do what you ask, spares are an essential item so make sure you can get them local if in a rush if you are not then the internet is king, and last what do other racers use local to you would you be the only driver running either brand this will make a big difference when trying to get a good set up later on.

good luck
Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IMO

You're probably drawn to one of them already, so pick that one.

If you aren't, flip a quarter. I doubt you'll get anything productive out of this thread.

Someone mentioned that it's a good idea to read through the car specific threads on this forum and see what current owners are experiencing. That sounded like very good advice to me.

Banter
Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

let's throw two more buggies into the mix: RC8 and HB D8...

decisions, decision, decision....
Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

save the hassle and read these 2, the first one isnt really the question you have asked but the info is in there, to find you actually do need to look

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ive-buggy.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...8-8v2-0-a.html

Last edited by slow coach; 01-28-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
but in my opinion the PBS front end system doesn't quite have the off power steering the 808/Losi style front end does.
What does the PBS have to do with off power steering?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
What does the PBS have to do with off power steering?
I think that was a pretty straight forward opinion, no hidden meanings. The only way you wouldn't get that is if you disagree.

I'd toss my hat in the ring for the 808, it is the lightest buggy on the market, and it's indestructable. Best thing is I haven't had to buy any hop up items to be competitive. Bone stock, except for some ligtened aluminum ball joints.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
The only way you wouldn't get that is if you disagree.
I am not disagreeing or agreeing. I was just wondering how PBS would differ from C-hub for off power steering.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

i have to agree with carcrazy on making his choice for the 808. i struggled with both of these cars, and it was not an easy choice to make. but i did go with the 808 for the same reasons as carcrazy.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got back into rc after about 1 1/2 break. My last car was the 5r. I went and bought a mbx6. The car turns better then any I have tried and it is very durable. I also like that NOTHING has to be bought. Every adjustment comes with the kit, with extra bushing and plates. With that being said I just picked up an 808 from a friend who quit. I tried it for the first time yesterday and it did not have nearly the steering as the 6. I am pretty confident I can make changes to the set up and make it steer. Also a down fall for me is to make certain adjustments you have to buy the toe plate, or antisquat plate. Anyways either is good. I have never been a huge fan of the pillow ball suspension, only because it is more maintance (I like to keep my car very clean). I am hoping I can get more steering out of the Xray if I can I will be extremely happy with it. IF I can't then I will regret giving up the Mugen.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It's really a toss-up between those two cars. Probably the only reason I went to Mugen from XRAY is that parts availability in my neck of the woods is insanely high (can you say $70 cdn for a diff???) and next to nonexistaet for XRAY. Actually, it's nonexistent for both, but overall supply is infinitely better for Mugen, whereas you have to get used to hearing "backordered" with XRAY. Also, supply is scarcer for Xray and parts prices have gone up quite staggeringly in the last few months, whereas Mugen parts are all over e-Bay and very affordable.

I figure that wear-and-tear is about even on both cars, and handling can be similar or very dissimilar depending on your setup. On-line tech help and setups are very well laid-down for XRAY, whereas I don't think there's the same caliber of in-depth information, setup help and support yet with Mugen.

Why not take a stroll down to the local track and ask to try each car? That will probably answer your questions better than digging through all of these posts
Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
let's throw two more buggies into the mix: RC8 and HB D8...

decisions, decision, decision....
Let's not, since it isn't your thread and the thread author asked about two specific buggies. If he/she wanted to know about the RC8, D8, or any other buggy he/she would of asked. Or we can consider the possibility that the author already knows about those buggies and wants to try a pillow ball car or the ever exotic xray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.