Wiki Posts
Search

need some info about tire glue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? need some info about tire glue

i cant seem to find ANYTHING to hold my tires to the wheels!!! when i hit about 40 the tires thin out and then just tare off the wheels. any suggestions??? maybe using tires smaller then the wheels themselves??
Old 01-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

The best way to glue tires is to lightly sand the bead on the tires and wheels and clean them with rubbing alcohol/nitro cleaner afterward. Use a good ca glue made for rc tires and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Losi-Runner
The best way to glue tires is to lightly sand the bead on the tires and wheels and clean them with rubbing alcohol/nitro cleaner afterward. Use a good ca glue made for rc tires and you shouldn't have any problems.
ive tried that already..thanks tho. is there something stronger that wont eat away at the tires. the car has done 65mph on a police radar gun..am i expecting too much out of the tire or should i just use a bigger rim with a smaller rim-dia tire??
Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

scuff rim, get release agents off both rim and tire. glue bands, thick or medium CA on 4 pts at a time on each side. leave near window with good light and taking ur time. work til a side has the ca all the way around. then i usually finish with a 'bead' of thin ca that i let run down along the bead as i rotate the wheel to get a nice even finish (similar to letting ca roll around the edge of a carbon chassis to help it from splitting). then of course after that all dries u move onto the other side of the tire.

usually takes me 3-4hrs to do a set. u cant rush. sorry, in ur mind u wanna go gorilla on it and get em on and going. but u cant. even a rush job at the track for me still requires at least 90min. but it pays...

...never blown 1 off, or even had 1 come loose on a spot. not since offroad vehicle became powerful enuff to require gluing the tires heh (20yrs). that and when i acetone them off to change out a broken wheel or replace a foam, it usually takes til lunchtime the next morning to cook off instead of 1st thing.

good luck

R
Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

You can run some tape around the inside of the tire. turn the tire inside out. I use black cloth gaffer's tape. Run it around the tire at least 1 1/2 times. Then it can be mounted. This will help keep the tire from balooning.
I have never had a problem with gluing tires even with my 18T that will hit 70mph.
It sounds like something is not right. Proper prep and assembly should hold.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I AGREE on evader-fan-69, the way he glue the tire is the right way, only what kind of tire glue your using, use the GRP tyre glue, its good!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

The stuff that I think I used was called amazing goop or household goop from ace...nasty smelling stuff (reads: use in very well vented area). It will keep the tires on for a whole season of 4x4ing. Takes a act of god to get them off, usually ruins the wheels trying to take the tires off. I didn't do any prep when I used it.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

What kind of glue are you using? I used Fusion glue by Racers Edge for a while but now I am trying the AKA glue. The Fusion is so thin it wicks right around making glueing a tire real easy. The AKA is medium and requires longer but I am hoping it will make a better bond.

One track I go to frequently has a big sweeper at the end of the straight and keeping the tires on the rim is a challenge. Even with the best glue job they get peeled back. You can see rubber is still stuck to the wheel but its ripped away. I usually alternate a couple of sets and reglue them frequently.

The GRP premounts were the only thing I knew would be reliable in 1 hour long mains at that track. I hear they use Loctite 406 glue which is what I heard the AKA glue is.