Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
thread lock!!!! >

thread lock!!!!

thread lock!!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default thread lock!!!!

which type of thread lockis the best to use? i use permatex med. strength px#242! it does the job but sometimes it just to much. idk
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use the permatex blue lock tight that come a glue stick tube and looks like cake icing. Its firmer and does not go all over the place when I use it.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dalepad
I use the permatex blue lock tight that come a glue stick tube and looks like cake icing. Its firmer and does not go all over the place when I use it.
+1 Great product..
Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i use the blue ae stuff
Old 01-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

+2

Excellent product less mess and it works.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It's tough to find but Loctite makes a small parts, light duty threadlock. It's purple and a step below blue. It's hands down the best that I've found.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+3. Locktite used to make the same thing in Blue and red, but for some reason unbeknownst to me they have stopped and switched to this gel stuff that's not half as good.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I used to use the locktite blue, but now I use the Duratrax blue. It is as strong as the locktite blue, but has a little more gum to it. It holds better and is smooth coming out. Some of the locktite is all or nothing. Try it out.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
+3. Locktite used to make the same thing in Blue and red, but for some reason unbeknownst to me they have stopped and switched to this gel stuff that's not half as good.
You mean these blue and red loctite sticks?

http://tonysscrews.com/category.sc?categoryId=11

Old 01-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my new favorite is #24024. (purple) i use it everywhere exept the kingpins, there i use blue.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

I knew about that low strength purple threadlock, but I had forgotten all about it. Glad yall boys refreshed my memory. I'll make it a point to grab some next time I see it. Its made specifically for screws smaller than a 1/4 inch diameter.

I think the most common mistake people make when using threadlock on RC's is applying too much. The purple type should make it easier on a person who made this mistake. A little trick I thought of to keep yourself from "over applying" is to buy the small toothpaste looking tubes and poke a small hole in the tip with something like a safety pin. That makes it much easier to meter the amount you apply, especially if your in a rush. If you over do it be sure to wipe most of it off with a towel. It only takes a tiny, tiny dot, that small tube should last a good while. The larger the screw the more you should apply, but not too much more. And dont put any on a screw that threads into plastic. I dont use the stick type because the cost is higher and it doesnt work that much better to justify. I wouldnt recommend red threadlock on anything RC.

I bought my 777WC from a local guy who had only put a gallon on the car. It was in excellent shape, barely a scratch on the chassis plate or arms, but a alot of screws had driver tips broken off in them and were rounded out completely. Both steering post screws (top and bottom), roughly half of the radio tray, and one of the lower engine mount screws were completely unserviceable. I had to drill the heads off, these were Tonys Screws. I discovered these screws were caked with dry threadlock. And when i decided to try a set of option 20* front knuckle carriers, the screws were locked down with a huge amount of the blue stuff. I had to work them out hard with a T handle, pulling the threads on two of them. And these werent cheap knuckles, they were Kyosho billet. Luckily I chased them with a tap and all is good. Moral of this story...... take it easy when applying thread lock!!!

Last edited by NCWC; 01-22-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Remember guys if you think it is locked down tight, tap a soldering iron to the screw head for a few seconds. Nothing frees up caked on thread lock like a little heat.. Melts it like butter- Stay away from the plastic!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Remember guys if you think it is locked down tight, tap a soldering iron to the screw head for a few seconds. Nothing frees up caked on thread lock like a little heat.. Melts it like butter- Stay away from the plastic!
Good tip Jaz. I can see that working like a charm.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.permatex.com/brand_gel_twist.htm
This is what I'll use until they make something better.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I use a blue thread lock from a company called pacer its pn is PT-42 and comes in a 6ML bottle. The best thread lock I have ever used.

Proseal also makes there own version which is pn 24206, this would be my next choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.