Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
truggy suspension start points >

truggy suspension start points

truggy suspension start points

Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default truggy suspension start points

hey guys, got a question.... setup sheets show ride height of the truck and shock length when the vehicle is already sitting with a full tank of fuel etc. what i want to know is where do you start from when rebuilding shocks at different lengths?...where do you start from and where do you finish at?
For example...
if i set my shocks to the length as described in manuals and then put them on the truck,once installed and the correct ride height is gained using the shock springs my shock is no longer the required length that the setup sheet informed me.

im sure im missing something quite simple but i would just like to know when adjusting shocks...where do you start and where do you end...please dont hit me with replies of suspension reaction....this is not what im looking for
Old 08-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

i guess what im trying to say is that how do i set up my shocks to end up at the required length before i put them on the truggy and start working out ride height
Old 08-27-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

If your talking about droop that is a set screw on your control arm that determines how much shock travel you have.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

not droop.. can someone please give me their opinion on how they set up shocks from rebuild till they end up at the correct ride height etc?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

YOu should build your shocks to full length w/o any limiting. Once installed on the truck with the upper and lower shock positions you want to run you can adjust the shock length by adjusting the droop screws.

On my RC8T for example I run 123mm in the rear indoors but full length outdoors. I simply change this by measuring from eye to eye on the shock and reducing the droop until I get it to 123mm.

Droop and shock length are adjusted the same way.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HiVoltg12
YOu should build your shocks to full length w/o any limiting. Once installed on the truck with the upper and lower shock positions you want to run you can adjust the shock length by adjusting the droop screws.

On my RC8T for example I run 123mm in the rear indoors but full length outdoors. I simply change this by measuring from eye to eye on the shock and reducing the droop until I get it to 123mm.

Droop and shock length are adjusted the same way.
cheers for the advice, i understand what you you saying but does that mean that on a setup sheet your shock length is 123mm? this is the problem im having.....
Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes 123mm on my sheet. Shock length is a maximum value. You aren't looking for the lenght of the shock at ride height - you're wanting the 123mm (in this case) to be the shock length at full droop.

On my outdoor setup sheet the length is just listed as 'full' which means i completly back out the droop screws so they don't limit the length of the shock.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cotto68
not droop.. can someone please give me their opinion on how they set up shocks from rebuild till they end up at the correct ride height etc?
You cant build a shock to ride height... You can build for rebound but ride height needs to be adjusted on the actual car.

Losi makes a shock measuring tool that will help you rebuild so they both have the same rebound aspects.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99170
Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by token
You cant build a shock to ride height... You can build for rebound but ride height needs to be adjusted on the actual car.

Losi makes a shock measuring tool that will help you rebuild so they both have the same rebound aspects.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99170

Guys..i think i may be confusing everyone.(my apologies)

when i look up a setup sheet of a pro driver and it says my rear shock length should be 114mm ........is that when i first build the shock before installation or when it is on the truck with full tank etc? when is this measurement taken
I have seen Adam drake show how to measure shocks after dropping it from 4-6 inches off the ground thus it shows ride height and shock length but is this what is put down as shock length on setup sheets?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

btw i run a D8t so Drake's advise is not taken purely on a Losi aspect.
let me put it this way...
you return from a track run, want adjust your shock length...(let say you want 114mm as per setup sheet)Is that measured when it is on the truck(dropped from 6 inches)with a full tank of fuel or before you put them on the truck?

Last edited by cotto68; 08-27-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

is droop the same as what is mentioned on setup sheets as shock length?