Wiki Posts
Search

diff rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default diff rebuild question

Okay I have all the gears out and ready to be oiled. I'm just concerned if there is any special method of putting the gears back in? thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Addict

same way they came out
Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure the gears didn't have to be meshed together in any certain way. Don't want to fry the gears.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

No end play on the pinions.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

nothing special for what your doing. SOME diffs have shim/washers on the end of the spider gears. If yours does, make sure they are on. Other than that, the pins have notches in them, so you just make sure they fit together like a log cabin

fill the diff about 80% and slap the top back on. when your done, make sure the diff turns, wipe it off, and you should be good to go.

Its always good to check the diff bearings. If they need to be replaced, this is the time to do it.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

alright cool. i finished up the diffs and they all feel really good. there is one thing that irks me though. Whenever I tighten down some screws on the front plate (lays down right behind the front shock tower(i also have a hyper 7 buggy)) it tightens up the whole drive line. I will tighten those screws and then try to spin the center diff and there is resistance. I will then take out the two screws that hold the plate down and it looses alot of its resistance. what is going on here? is it just pushing down too much on the diff housings or something? I'm sure my engine has plenty of power to overcome this resistance I just want to know whats up. I think after I run the car it will go away. I'm just curious is anyone has had this problem before.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Just a thought are the screws too long and touching the bevel gear of the differential inside even only slightly,
Old 01-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

just make sure that your put everything back in the same way and you will be good to go!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
KIK
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I just had that happen to me but with the rear end. I took the rear end off completely and noticed that the chassis had a mark on it where the ring gear is. The big ring gear was touching the chassis after I tightened down the four screws from the bottom. I just dremeled out the chassis a little and it spins smoothly now.