NEXT GENERATION   RC8.0   BUGGY >

NEXT GENERATION RC8.0 BUGGY

NEXT GENERATION RC8.0 BUGGY

Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Wink NEXT GENERATION RC8.0 BUGGY

THE .0 ITS FOR FUN
I ASK MAYFIELD ABOUT AND HE TOLD ME HOPUFULY SOON
NOW THAT THE LOSI 2.O CAME OUT AND OTHER CARS HAVE GOT BETTER OUT THERE AND TO MANY MODIFICATIONS @ OUR HOUSES THAT WE NEED TO DO TO KEEP IN TOUCH WHITH THE MODS I THINK THE NEXT GENERATION
RC8 BATTERY MOD STEERING MOD SHOCK TOWER ETC ETC

ANYBODY HAVE IDEAS TO IMPROVE THE CAR POST IT
I THINK AE ITS WORKING ON IT VERY SILENTLY
Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think the RC8 is a solid buggy out of the box. Standard items I'd like to see in a 2.0 version are:

Battery box up front
Steering mod standard
Laid over steering servo
Quick change engine mount (no meshing required)
Big bores stock
Aluminum top plate
Service Pack installed
Fully captured hinge pins

That having been said, I like the RC8 enough that I just bought my second. I ran it with the World's setup last weekend and it blew me away, again! What a buggy.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

THE RC8b2

Active diffs standard (pipe dream?)
Big bores.
Better chassis braces.
Move motor further forward.
Battery tray forward like Losi
Steer servo sideways like D8 (farther forward, do u see a pattern.)
Full length motor mount.
less chassis flex, its a bit excessive
More suspension arm flex, thinner arms like an 808.
ACTIVE DIFFS

Cheater fuel tank option (160cc for club races!!!make the top bulge out
over the drive shaft

Better shock bushings.
Better droop screws. No dig but easy top adjust.
Chassis marked for motor alighnment like the Losi 2
ACTIVE DIFFS
Lighter (seems i can go dremel crazy on my car on the plastic)
ACTIVE DIFFS
Through bolt hinge pins.
Diff case main bolts go all the way through and are nutted on the back.
Longer lasting plastic.

Lose those stupid caster block inserts. I'd rather just have to replace the whole block than fiddle with those stupid bushings I can barly see at the track.

Even more wing adjusment. I have mine full forward useing only 2 screws.
Lose the upper front arms, Use a camber link like Losi and Xray.
Active Diffs.
Keep the carbon shock towers.
Plastic radio plate, diff brace to save weight and cost.
Lightened diff gears outdrives etc..(another pipe dream)
M2C style clutch shoes, no shim.
Rear arm mud deflectors.
ACtive diffs
Front wing. little wings on the front arms might work.

Those two weird screws that go into the bottom of the chassis to hold the steering posts, Can't AE use the same type of screw as the diff bottoms 4mm

Active Diffs, better get on those or be dusted by Losi, X-ray.

Have you seen the way the center diveshafts go into the case on an X-ray 808 and connect straight to the pinion gear...Sweet copy it.

V3 size wheels with V3 size Aka gridirons (wait, nevermind that needs to be in the AKA forum)

ACTIVE DIFFS STANDARD WOULD ABSOLUTY KILL LOSI'S WILL TO LIVE!!!!!!
90 dollars a pop up-grade, nawwww make em STOCK, an Industry 1st.

Orange Anodizing instead of blue. Its time to bring back gold anno. And AE needs a new look.

Need a desighn guy AE?? I got more ideas but I'm keeping those to myself.

I too have had good luck with this car along with other racers at my track. And I'm newish to 1/8th scale racing. The RC8 is going to be insane if they had all the above.

Did I mention active diffs?

Last edited by Zerodefect; 01-15-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Active diffs, active diffs, active diffs, active diffs.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Haha, keep dreaming of the orange..... . Only thing i think they should put in the kits as standard (with a small increase) would be BigBore shocks and Alum top plate with the bits you need for the 'optional steering' (but still have the standard steering included) and a brace if you decide to run the reciever battery on the mud-guard. You won't get lots more included because of the world economy.......
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

I hate those caster bushings too. If they could at least color code them so you know which is which.

I think the B and D plates ought to have inserts in them for adjusting the toe and so the hinge pins arent riding on the metal plates.

I dont want to much to change. I really like the way it handles now. I havent even felt the need to do the battery and steering mod.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i like the bushings.. i really do not have to many complaints about the car. i do think that they need to include the BB and a better way to do the rec pack mod
Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Come on guys, Ya gotta think big. Big changes at Mugen, Losi, Xray. The RC8 works well but its starting to look a little long in the tooth.

Active diffs! Orange Active diffs.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

The RC8 has only been out a little more than a year and look at all the new stuff they already came out with for it. Why re-design a whole bunch of stuff when its proven to be quite competitive. Maifield, Cav, and the team were very impressive at the worlds this past year. The car is as fast or faster than most of these new generation designs in the right hands.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Simple, 'caus we can. If I can pick any 1 car to redesighn it would be the RC8. It hasn't taken advantage of the new Ideas the other cars have. Imagine how much quicker it could get. Its allready really fast, to build on that.......

ACTIVE DIFFS!!!!!

I'm not going to buy another RC8 1.0. I put too much work & $ into fixing it up and I'm not doing that again. If a RC8b2 deosn't come soon i'm jumping to X-ray.

I need a backup car to supplement my RC8. I'm not going to settle for the same old car and watch the Losi's run off into the sunset. I'm not going to settle for a lack of BB shocks, no active diff available, quick wear plastic, etc.

I'm not happy with the flimsey chassis braces, little shocks with majik pistons, ghetto steering mod, battery flopping around on the chassis, that tiny POS motor mount, clutch bell digging a hole in the chassis, and no rubber seals on the center Cvds (like the rears).

Yes its good, It can be better. And it should be, before the other cars catch up and an AE fanboy like me walks.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Come on guys, Ya gotta think big. Big changes at Mugen, Losi, Xray. The RC8 works well but its starting to look a little long in the tooth.
I don't think I'd go that far. More than anything, it's minor issues that got in the way of the RC8 being everything that it could be. Also, I think it's fair to assume that the big-bore shocks will be standard on the next generation buggy. As for what I'd like to see?

-More private testing and de-bugging on behalf of AE BEFORE the new car is released, as opposed to playing catch-up and damage-control after the fact.

-A fuel tank that can actually maintain pressure (other companies can do this without batting an eyelash, so AE has NO excuse.) I know AE is capable of much greater things and I want to see them back at the top. Also, I think that a clunk in the tank is a must-have, and if they really wanted to put a cherry atop the sunday, a lip going all the way around the tank with a drain out the bottom of the chassis a la Kyosho. <--all very simple and relatively cheap things that make a BIG difference.

-Better steering geometry: the driver shouldn't have to jerry-rig the steering. Again, I feel that this is a case of learning from those who have done it better.

-Better quality plastics would be greatly appreciated.<--this is a BIG one that I feel we should all insist on.

-Better weight distribution to allow the car to jump more effortlessly.

-Lightened drivetrain; something along the lines of what Mugen/Kyosho did.

-That the new car be available in KIT form as well as RTR.

-Slightly longer screws and TI turnbuckles, especially in the steering (2-3mm here and there will make a big difference.)

-Avoid using unnecessarily small bearings on the new car; I don't feel that the weight reduction is significant enough to justify the shorter lifespan and overall fragility.

-A wall or bulkhead in the battery box (perhaps a redesign is in order?) to separate the receiver and battery; keeps the heavier battery from using the receiver asa shock-absorber while driving on rough terrain.

Some of the things AE did which I do enjoy and would like to see carried over:

-fuel tank held in place by clips.

-Split center diff mounts.

-Blue Ti turnbuckles

-Carbon shock towers, ctr diff mount and radio tray.

-Great body styling.

To summarize, I see mostly a need to re-engineer certain components, no need to add unnecessary or expensive "bling" parts. This way, the price of the car remains very competitive, and in all likelyhood, most of these revisions could probably be retro-fitted to current RC8s and RC8Ts easily... At least I THINK they could.

Last edited by captain america; 01-16-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Now we're talking.........

You forgot active diffs. LOL.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

WOW. I think some people are jumping on the active diff thing a little to fast. Xray got them out in November, and losi just released theirs.

The big bores will be standard with new kits soon. Hence why they were giving them away to new car buyers. We have been testing the RTR versions at the Vegas Tracks this week.

The battery mod, and steering mod are 2 things i wish AE would address, with an upgrade kit. I don't like the idea of having to search a way to move my battery by using parts from different brands. If they released a kit with a new sideguard that had molded in posts, then a plastic top plate that used thumb nuts to hold it down. That i could be happy with.

As for the steering mod, release a new acerman, and longer tie-rods, and that is pretty much whats needed.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
-A fuel tank that can actually maintain pressure (other companies can do this without batting an eyelash, so AE has NO excuse.) I know AE is capable of much greater things and I want to see them back at the top. Also, I think that a clunk in the tank is a must-have, and if they really wanted to put a cherry atop the sunday, a lip going all the way around the tank with a drain out the bottom of the chassis a la Kyosho. <--all very simple and relatively cheap things that make a BIG difference.
Sorry, but i have to call BS on this. Losi had quite a few people complaining about tanks splitting at the seems. I Know 1 guy here had 5 new tanks go bad, 1 of them he got from drake at a JBRL race. He ended up sending them all in, and Horizon replaced each of them with a 2.0 tank.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i really do not believe that ACTIVE DIFFS are that big of deal.. fioroni has had them out for a while and you did not see them out of stock because the were soooo much better. the rc8 is a good car hands down. some updates need to be done and thats it
Old 01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
Sorry, but i have to call BS on this. Losi had quite a few people complaining about tanks splitting at the seems. I Know 1 guy here had 5 new tanks go bad, 1 of them he got from drake at a JBRL race. He ended up sending them all in, and Horizon replaced each of them with a 2.0 tank.
Kindly notice that I did not state that ALL other companies can do it right, merely that other companies can, and do. Among those are Mugen, XRAY, Kyosho, O'Donnell, Hot Bodies, and likely a half dozen others that don't readily spring to mind.

Further, just because another firm has unacceptable QC problems doesn't mean that AE should compare themselves to them and say "see, others f*ck up too, so give us a break." Rather, I prefer to look to those manufacturers that have higher standards and use current shortcomings as an opportunity to improve, evolve, meet and perhaps even exceed those standards. That's how winning is done.

To look at your fellow competitors and say "well at least we don't suck as much as Brand X" is the motto of losers.

Also, having to send a badly made part in for a replacement, even if that replacement is free, is still an annoyance for most people, especially those that don't live in the lower 48; it cuts down on time one can actually spend enjoying their car/truck, etc. Granted, the occasional bad part is something we'll likely never do away with completely, but I'm of the mindset that it should be the exception rather than the shamefully-guarded rule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.