Wiki Posts
Search

8ight 1.0 Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 8ight 1.0 Setup

I have the losi 8ight rtr with jp-3 pipe, airtronivs 94357 for throttle, and futaba s9351 for steering. I recently went to my local track, Thunder Alley, and I noticed the rear end was really loose. I was running Panther Komodo Dragon 2s (they look alot like crimefighers) with medium foams, so I thought that could be partly the problem, but I dont want to get a new set of tires now. What I am looking for is stability and rear traction. I was thinking putting more rear toe in on it (if so where can I buy it?). But is there any other things that you would suggest to calm the rear down and make it easier to drive? Also, I noticed that my fronts wore alot faster than rears. Why is this and can I switch fronts for rears when the fronts get more worn to equalize tire wear? thanks!

Im running 5-7-2 diff oil and drake's neo06 setup. What would be the affects of running 5-5-3? I had great steering and everything, I just wanted it to be easier to drive because I was crashing almost every lap.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Practice , practice , and more practice . You can`t expect to be driving like a pro on the first few times running it . Play with different diff and shock oils to fit the track and driving style . Find someone that runs the 8ight at the track and see what they have for setup , they can give you the best info , not someone that hasn`t been to that track .
Old 01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Briguy
Practice , practice , and more practice . You can`t expect to be driving like a pro on the first few times running it . Play with different diff and shock oils to fit the track and driving style . Find someone that runs the 8ight at the track and see what they have for setup , they can give you the best info , not someone that hasn`t been to that track .
That is why i didnt like a pro's setup!

Is the setup between the 8ight kit/2.0 different from the RTR?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

2.0 runs different and I find using a different setup .
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Chris you are right the losi truggy does have a tendency to be loose in the rear. try more toe and anti squat the M2C adjustable rear toe block system works great on it. also try different diff weights like 7-10-5 or 7-10-3. That will help as well I would try the changing the diff fluid first. You will notice a definite improvement the question is will that be enough. If the M2C complete toe system is to expensive for you get the M2C 3/4 rear plate. It's there old model but works great and its only $12. You can also try the lightest sway bar in the rear as well. The fronts are wearing more because the rear is squatting to much raising the front up. anti squat makes the the truggy roll more towards the front giving better hook up to front tires and less wear.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Chris you are right the losi truggy does have a tendency to be loose in the rear. try more toe and anti squat the M2C adjustable rear toe block system works great on it. also try different diff weights like 7-10-5 or 7-10-3. That will help as well I would try the changing the diff fluid first. You will notice a definite improvement the question is will that be enough. If the M2C complete toe system is to expensive for you get the M2C 3/4 rear plate. It's there old model but works great and its only $12. You can also try the lightest sway bar in the rear as well.
He has a buggy , not a truggy . So those diff oils will really throw him off .
Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

He has a buggy , not a truggy . So those diff oils will really throw him off .
I'm sorry and your right thought he said truggy.

5-5-2 would be better. In my haste to reply I read it wrong and your to heavy in the center diff. Thicker in the center cause the buggy to be more aggressive from the rear. Also buggy's and truggys are ride height sensitive make sure you ride height is accurate.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

I'm sorry and your right thought he said truggy.

5-5-2 would be better. In my haste to reply I read it wrong and your to heavy in the center diff. Thicker in the center cause the buggy to be more aggressive from the rear. Also buggy's and truggys are ride height sensitive make sure you ride height is accurate.
Ok thanks, that is what I was looking for. What would be the handling difference between 5-5-2 and 5-5-3? As stated below, I would rather slow down to turn than to slide out as I was sliding out alot.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
Ok thanks, that is what I was looking for. What would be the handling difference between 5-5-2 and 5-5-3? As stated below, I would rather slow down to turn than to slide out as I was sliding out alot.
The rear will be more aggressive meaning pushing more. Your looking for more pull from the front and the rear to track with the front. Here is where the losi upgrade http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=5418 would help allot. Try different sway bars as well I am using the med sway bar and my rear end stays planted. I tried that same setup you were running the 5-7-2 my rear was all over the place.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Diff setup will depend on track and driver`s style . In the 1.0 , 5-7-2 worked great at both indoor and outdoor tracks for me .
Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

The rear will be more aggressive meaning pushing more. Your looking for more pull from the front and the rear to track with the front. Here is where the losi upgrade http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=5418 would help allot. Try different sway bars as well I am using the med sway bar and my rear end stays planted. I tried that same setup you were running the 5-7-2 my rear was all over the place.
I thought more aggressive was more of a loose feeling and not pushing. I dont know if I am going to get that, it is a little too expensive now for what you get, abjustability.

Simple question: Does thinner center diff oil make it easier to drive? What are the pros and cons? Does thicker rear diff oil make the rear more planted? Pros and cons? This is what I was mainly looking for as long as different adjustments I could make.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Diff setup will depend on track and driver`s style . In the 1.0 , 5-7-2 worked great at both indoor and outdoor tracks for me .
The track is really hard packed, but if you drift onto the sides it is soft. The driver has a heavy finger!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
The track is really hard packed, but if you drift onto the sides it is soft. The driver has a heavy finger!

You just answered your questions . Stay in the groove and you won`t spin out . Learn throttle control .

All comes back to what I keep telling you what will help , practice .
Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

You just answered your questions . Stay in the groove and you won`t spin out . Learn throttle control .

All comes back to what I keep telling you what will help , practice .
I rarely get out of the groove. HERE is a video of the track. The one I was having problems with was the (double-to-tabletop?) in the middle of the track. Whenever I was accelrate I would always spin out at that point. Also the buggy was just loose on the whole track. The track is rutted out now and not as nice as it was in the video.

HERE are two quick videos of the track. They are both bad, running very rich and windy with a bad cameraman. You have to really look in the 2nd video to see the buggy.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Front: Thinner/lighter fluid in the front differential increases off-power steering. You must be careful not togo too light as the steering will become grabby and inconsistent. If you experience this go one step heavier.
In general, thicker/heavier front differential fluid increases off-power stability and increases on-power steering.
Center: Using thinner/lighter fluid in the center differential tends to make the model easier to drive on
rough and slick tracks but allows it to unload easier under acceleration and provides less forward drive.Thicker/heavier center differential fluids offer better acceleration, increased on-power steering and lessoff-power steering. In general, using thicker center differential fluid is better on high bite and smooth tracks.
Rear: Using thinner/lighter fluid in the rear differential provides more corning traction and increases steeringresponse in the middle of the turn. Thicker/heavier fluids in the rear differential provide less steering in
the middle of the turn but greater forward traction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.